E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone like the new 3-series more than E60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think the 5 series does look a little better than the new 3 series. I agree, it has more "presence" on the road.

However, I can not agree with the comments about its performance. To me the 3 series, properly configured of course, is classic BMW, a compact sport sedan. When I think of BMW history, I do not think of the 5 series (M5 being the exception), I think of the 3 series. Sure maybe the 5 has better quality materials inside, but it should for the price, but I have never thought of the 5 as the model to have to get full BMW experience. And definitely not the 7.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Members

I just can't agree with the "better materials inside the 5" comments. For crying-in-the-sink the new 3 is a CLONE of the 5 inside. With I-Drive it looks nearly identical and the materials are the same.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Oh.... I forgot to mention another topic of hatred for me about the new 3.

The trunk is so freakin' small, you cannot get a single golf bag inside without removing your driver & 3-wood.

At least, my golf bag would not fit.... and it's just a standard size, cart bag.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Aug 1 2005, 08:14 PM
I will say I like the e90 far better than the 3-series it replaced, which frankly I never found to be a very compelling vehicle.

That said, I think the e60 is the ne plus ultra of Bimmers today.? The new 7er I find to be an inadequate replacement for the original cutting edge design that the original 745i represented.? I thought it was flash when I first saw it, and still think so today.? The current version is wimped-down, and I regret the decision to "soften" the design.? But that's just me.
[snapback]155224[/snapback]

Hi there,

I really agree with the above. The e90 looks alot more impressive than the old car's simple curves and very low beltline. In fact, I chose an A4 over the old 3 because of its superior interior and exterior style. I think the new 3 and new 5 look similar in many ways. The e90 is stunning with 18s, specifically from the front and sides. And, one could argue the interior touches on the 3 look a tad better than the E60. I reckon I'd have both in my driveway.

That said, the more distinctive design of the e60, the extra room, and the V8 power really pushes it ahead of the smallism 3. Actually, I now like the rear lights, my only gripe intially with the design. If only the e60 came with the e90's artic metallic paint option, a color to simply to die for.

In fact, the only car that competes in terms of design is the 7 series. And, I mean the older 04 design with the pronounced dumper rumper. I think the recent refresh was a knee-jerk reaction to the auto press. I just can't afford $1k a month for such a car and think the 5 will be the right blend of room and sportiness.

CVT Benhogan

550 ED November

Either Mystic Blue/Silv Grey - Sport, CW, Beige, Nav, Hud, Sat Radio
Old 08-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Breae60' date='Aug 1 2005, 11:56 AM
The e60's rear has a presence when driving behind it.? There is good girth...and its proportional...the? e90 is nice from the front, but they squished the trunk and rear way too much.? thus, new gs400 is not apeiling as well, it loses the road presence and inrimidation with a small rear end.? It just doesn't have the stance like the e60.
[snapback]155131[/snapback]
Excellent!
These are my words exactly.
The e60 has that size to it that is intimidating on the road and the sporty curves to match. I like big, sporty cars with four doors.

I do admit, I did not like the e60 style when I first saw spy pics and actual photos later on. But the style has grown on me and I had to pull the trigger on the 545 late last year because it offered everything I wanted in my next car.

There's no mistaking an e60 for another when you see it on the road except maybe for the Infiniti M45's front end. I guess imitation is a cheap way to make a compliment.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey, dudes, wake up!

I really do not understand these pusher cars: Lexus (Toyota) and other eastern drives Acura and Infinity (Honda and Nissan).

Why do you Americans go for these Japanese products???
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MARCUS545' date='Aug 4 2005, 10:59 PM
I just can't agree with the "better materials inside the 5" comments.? For crying-in-the-sink the new 3 is a CLONE of the 5 inside.? With I-Drive it looks nearly identical and the materials are the same.
[snapback]156252[/snapback]

I said maybe has better quality materials Marcus

Actually I agree that the look is almost identical and to me, up to the same quality. However, I do prefer the climate control areas of the E60 over the E90 which is too similar to the 1 series IMO. Nothing that would keep me from buying the car though.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Why do you Americans go for these Japanese products???

People buy Japanese cars for a number of reasons, including.. but not limited to:

1. Quality
2. Reliability
3. Price/Value (These cars typically package their options, unlike BMW which makes everything a-la-carte in order to increase the price)
Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Aug 2 2005, 06:02 AM
The 3-series is an absolute piece of crap.? It does not deserve to have a BMW emblem on it.

I had one for a weekend as a loaner car.? It was downright dangerous, it had so little engine power it almost got me killed trying to make a left turn.

The car has no engine....? no first gear...? it shifts to second gear almost immediately, causing you to stall.

Absolutely a horrible, horrible car.? I had a 1988 Honda Accord 4 cylinder engine that had more acceleration off the line.... no lie.
[snapback]155331[/snapback]

I'm guessing, but is the new 3 series gay???
Old 08-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Members

That is by far the stupidest question I have ever read in this forum.

Quick Reply: Anyone like the new 3-series more than E60?