E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone (esp UK) get poor results from TMC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530d M Sport Saloon; Auto; Silver Grey; Navigation System Professional; Sun Protection Glass; M Rear Spoiler; No Model Inscription; Bluetooth Telephone Preparation; BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

Does anyone (especially in the UK) notice that the TMC information is very random and inaccurate?

On three occassions recently, I've driven on very popular roads (M25, M3, M11) only to hit very heavy and standstill traffic. Each time the TMC hasn't given me any warning of the problem and - even more anoyingly - it would tell me that there was heavy traffic at my current possition (only once I was stuck), and the next juntion onwards is clear. This pattern would continue as I moved from junction to junction in the heavy traffic.

I understand that the TMC is only as good as the information it's given, but the last time this happened, I switched on the RDS announcements and every broadcast told me of the problem. Last Friday for example, the RDS announcement said there were problems from M25/M1 round to the M25/M3 and yet there was nothing on the TMC.

Is this a fault with TMC, or my car?

TIA
Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Its just the way it works. It sometimes updates just a little too late.

Ive also found that ill drive into traffic and then about 10minutes after sitting there itll go 'oh dear there seems to be a problem on this road!'

while i just look at it and think 'no shit'.

It has been very useful long distance stuff tho so get it checked out by dealer. I take it you get your TMC from classic fm?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530d M Sport Saloon; Auto; Silver Grey; Navigation System Professional; Sun Protection Glass; M Rear Spoiler; No Model Inscription; Bluetooth Telephone Preparation; BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='290372' date='May 31 2006, 04:12 PM
Its just the way it works. It sometimes updates just a little too late.
Ive also found that ill drive into traffic and then about 10minutes after sitting there itll go 'oh dear there seems to be a problem on this road!'

while i just look at it and think 'no shit'.
It has been very useful long distance stuff tho so get it checked out by dealer. I take it you get your TMC from classic fm?
I didn't think there was any other option than Classic FM. It's currently set to Auto (Classic).
Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Yes. Mostly ignore the TMC, as often problem gone before get there - or advised too late to avoid
Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I find it works well on the whole and yes I know what you mean when you say you get to the problem area and the traffic is clear, however I think it has to rely on info from a central source same as RAC etc.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by groovemasterj' post='290334' date='May 31 2006, 03:18 PM
Does anyone (especially in the UK) notice that the TMC information is very random and inaccurate?

On three occassions recently, I've driven on very popular roads (M25, M3, M11) only to hit very heavy and standstill traffic. Each time the TMC hasn't given me any warning of the problem and - even more anoyingly - it would tell me that there was heavy traffic at my current possition (only once I was stuck), and the next juntion onwards is clear. This pattern would continue as I moved from junction to junction in the heavy traffic.

I understand that the TMC is only as good as the information it's given, but the last time this happened, I switched on the RDS announcements and every broadcast told me of the problem. Last Friday for example, the RDS announcement said there were problems from M25/M1 round to the M25/M3 and yet there was nothing on the TMC.

Is this a fault with TMC, or my car?

TIA
Hi there, I get the same problems with TMC, but live on the out skirts of London. As suggested elsewhere on this forum, tuning the radio into Classic FM and the TMC works almost all of the time as it actually provides the traffic information.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

That's the problem. As said before TMC takes the info from radio stations. Back in Germany, where the cars are built, there are literally hundreds of stations distributing travel info with a TMC signal, plus announce them on air.
Unfortunately in the UK this system seems to have never been popular, hence it not working as good.