E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just my car, or does anyone else's 550i

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

per the title, this is ridiculous. 99/100 times I put my car in reverse, and with my foot on the brake, i slowly back out.. about each full turn of the tire, the car shakes and shimmers, like it is starving for gas, or misfiring.

This DOES NOT happen in gear.

Now, while pulling up to a stop light, when I finally come to a complete stop, it does one last shake and shimmer, almost like a final downshift so to speak. It also kicks down sometimes rather roughly.

I've notice, recently, now, that i am getting the roughness while at a stop light, no movement, just sporatically.

I have used Shell, Mobil, Chevron and Citgo Premium gases. I have varied stations, and times, and this is consitant. it does have a couple of good runs, and maybe a decent day here and there, but by and large, this is prevelant ALL THE TIME.

Has anyone had this, or have it, and is there any solution? family and friends are shaking their heads at the car... with me, the 5'er's have been one thing after another.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wassy' post='291586' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:50 AM
per the title, this is ridiculous. 99/100 times I put my car in reverse, and with my foot on the brake, i slowly back out.. about each full turn of the tire, the car shakes and shimmers, like it is starving for gas, or misfiring.

This DOES NOT happen in gear.

Now, while pulling up to a stop light, when I finally come to a complete stop, it does one last shake and shimmer, almost like a final downshift so to speak. It also kicks down sometimes rather roughly.

I've notice, recently, now, that i am getting the roughness while at a stop light, no movement, just sporatically.

I have used Shell, Mobil, Chevron and Citgo Premium gases. I have varied stations, and times, and this is consitant. it does have a couple of good runs, and maybe a decent day here and there, but by and large, this is prevelant ALL THE TIME.

Has anyone had this, or have it, and is there any solution? family and friends are shaking their heads at the car... with me, the 5'er's have been one thing after another.
Mine does both of what you mentioned, although less so since I had the software update. I am embarrassed anytime I have to put the car in reverse when my wife is in the car because she always says whats wrong with your 70k car? Yours being a 2007 model should already have the 21 CIP update.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TV550' post='291588' date='Jun 2 2006, 12:02 PM
Mine does both of what you mentioned, although less so since I had the software update. I am embarrassed anytime I have to put the car in reverse when my wife is in the car because she always says whats wrong with your 70k car? Yours being a 2007 model should already have the 21 CIP update.
thats my point. it should have the 21 CIP and does it just the same. the dealer's service manager took the car with me for 2 minutes.. that's all he needed. says he doesn't know what to do?????

irony is that it isn't a cold start issue. it is an all the time issue! your wife is right (as always)... what's wrong with our $70k cars?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Sorry for your problem...I have never experienced anything like that.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Sorry that you have such severe rough engine issues.

Have you removed the charcoal filters? If not, take them out and see if letting it breath easier helps.

I sometimes get the cold start rough idle in reverse. And once in a while I get a bit of engine burst / final gear change surge when coming to a stop, but only after a cold start and only for the first stop or two.

Both of these symptoms feel like minor stutters to me - I never feel like "OMG, what's wrong!" These are not full-time occurances for me, and neither happens after the engine warms up.

This does seem to be a common complaint, though. Besides some others here who have noted this issue, go read a 7 series forum and you will see that 750 owners say the same things.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='291674' date='Jun 2 2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry that you have such severe rough engine issues.

Have you removed the charcoal filters? If not, take them out and see if letting it breath easier helps.

I sometimes get the cold start rough idle in reverse. And once in a while I get a bit of engine burst / final gear change surge when coming to a stop, but only after a cold start and only for the first stop or two.

Both of these symptoms feel like minor stutters to me - I never feel like "OMG, what's wrong!" These are not full-time occurances for me, and neither happens after the engine warms up.

This does seem to be a common complaint, though. Besides some others here who have noted this issue, go read a 7 series forum and you will see that 750 owners say the same things.
I agree ewwith tachyon, try removing the charcoal filter. its designed to trap gases and send back into the engine. I have only experience the roguness in the morning when the car is cold only. The last CIP 21.xx upgrade solved 90% of it at Pembroke pines BMW and the filter mod i did solveed it completely...so bottom line seems your car needs air and a cip upgrade..another way is to take it down I75 to about 150mph and that should clear out the engine
KIDDING...before i get flames on it
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='291688' date='Jun 2 2006, 03:43 PM
I agree ewwith tachyon, try removing the charcoal filter. its designed to trap gases and send back into the engine. I have only experience the roguness in the morning when the car is cold only. The last CIP 21.xx upgrade solved 90% of it at Pembroke pines BMW and the filter mod i did solveed it completely...so bottom line seems your car needs air and a cip upgrade..another way is to take it down I75 to about 150mph and that should clear out the engine
KIDDING...before i get flames on it
where are the charcoal filters? and should i change them OR remove them completely?

Don Juan.. i have the 2007 and it should have come with CIP 21. this is an ALL day occurence with me. it is not OMG.. but only to the extent that is DOES happen all the time.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' post='291701' date='Jun 2 2006, 04:17 PM
where are the charcoal filters? and should i change them OR remove them completely?

Don Juan.. i have the 2007 and it should have come with CIP 21. this is an ALL day occurence with me. it is not OMG.. but only to the extent that is DOES happen all the time.
see this link in where they are and how to remove them.. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21796 that is not normal your car is doing that thhat frequent.. try the taking out he charcoal filter.. otherwise you need to let your SA (Service advisor) take a look of it and check the CIP version you have. Having a 2007 does not mean you have the latest CIP as 21.xx was just released a few weeks ago..
Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by wassy' post='291586' date='Jun 2 2006, 05:50 PM
This has happened to me once. But not on reversing. I was pulling off from a traffic light and I mis-clutched some - almost killed the engine, so I pressed the clutch in and tried to go again but then it started fluttering - like idling roughly, and the gas pedal would not do anything, it just stayed in that flutter/shaking status, but not violently, just gently shaking. I turned it off and back on and it went OK then. It hasn't happened again. I thought it was just me missing a good clutch start.

The problem I see with cars like ours is that there's SO MUCH that is controlled by software, and we know how unpredictable software problems are - how software just gets corrupted for one reason or another. My 550i was built in January so it has CIP 20 - so they said.

Post a reason/solution if the dealership looks at it and determines what it is. Good luck.

Santiago
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Members

I have a new end of year 2006 550i and I have the same problem. Could someone explain what the 21 CIP update is, and what CIP stands for? Thanks.