E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Xcarlink expert?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just ordered a Xcarlink plug and play multimedia video for my 2008 528I with built in Nav, AUX and USB. I am just planning to use it for video playing only (No back up camera)
I have the following questions:
1- Can I split the windows so I can use navigation and video at the same time
2- My AUX connecter inside the middle console, do I have to plug the audio connector from Xcarlink to this AUX
3- When call comes through Bluetooth, does caller ID still going to pop up and video will pause while on call
4- Where is the good and neat location suggesting set the AV connectors
5- Can I plug Android phone that has micro type connector to AV. I can connect my phone using Micro connector to HDMI cable to TV, but I am not sure if that is possible with this type of connectors

Thank you,
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have one and it works well. I use it with the Ipod touch so I will explain using this source.

1. No, the picture consumes the entire screen. If you are playing from an iPod and you have double tapped the screen to get it in wide mode then the wide mode will display on the idrive screen with the two black bars at the top and bottom.

2. You need to get a Y splitter so the single pin comes out of the console and splits to L & R rca. This will connect to the ipod audio visual cable that you will need to purchase.

3. I don't think the movie stops when a call comes in but I will confirm.

4.I just left mine in the glove box and when I use it I plug up to it. This is messy because of the cables. I'm planning on pulling the cable to the console this weekend.

5, ....not sure about this one.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I have one and it works well. I use it with the Ipod touch so I will explain using this source.

1. No, the picture consumes the entire screen. If you are playing from an iPod and you have double tapped the screen to get it in wide mode then the wide mode will display on the idrive screen with the two black bars at the top and bottom.

2. You need to get a Y splitter so the single pin comes out of the console and splits to L & R rca. This will connect to the ipod audio visual cable that you will need to purchase.

3. I don't think the movie stops when a call comes in but I will confirm.

4.I just left mine in the glove box and when I use it I plug up to it. This is messy because of the cables. I'm planning on pulling the cable to the console this weekend.

5, ....not sure about this one.
That was a great information, Thank you.
I have not received my Xcarlink yet, but I read on user guide that they sent me, there is jumper switch on Xcarlink box that controls the screen size 8:8 and 6:5, so what I was thinking if the jumper sets to 6:5 mode, there will be a chance to split the Nav pictures and video at the same time but another hand, I am thinking, it is switching to the outsource and can't combine two outsources mode at the same time.
Also, I am thinking to pull all the wire to the console, is there any chance you have instruction or pictures how to remove the console?
Last question, is Xcarlink can be easily install? I can follow the instruction well, I have checked with some local places asking $300-$420 for clean installation. (Which I paid only $200 shipped for this part) I could spend $800 installed and program to convert the CCC to CIC and activate video on it too.
So I am assuming based on Xcarlink guideline, you remove the glove compartment and also get behind the monitor. Does wooden trim also needs to be removed? Do you know how to remove that part or does it happen to have the complete work instruction?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

To install you have to remove several things. Monitor, main ip trim, climate control, lower face plate around ccc, then unscrew and slie out the ccc. Unplugged your main harness from the back of the CCC. Remove the two fiber optic cables from the harness you just removed. plug the xcar connector to the back of the ccc, connect the fiber optics to the back of the xcar at ccc, connect origianal main harness that was removed from the ccc to the xcar connector the whole thing is basically a splice. route the cables and then make the connection from the monitor to the xcar unit. take the rca video that you want and connect the ipod video cable. the ipod aux cables will come back to the console and connect through a Y adaptor into the aux.

changing from 8.8 to 6.5 will only make the viewing smaller, it still will not allow you to use the other smaller section since when you are using the xcar system it by passes everything.

The install is VERY easy and takes maybe 1 hour max!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
To install you have to remove several things. Monitor, main ip trim, climate control, lower face plate around ccc, then unscrew and slie out the ccc. Unplugged your main harness from the back of the CCC. Remove the two fiber optic cables from the harness you just removed. plug the xcar connector to the back of the ccc, connect the fiber optics to the back of the xcar at ccc, connect origianal main harness that was removed from the ccc to the xcar connector the whole thing is basically a splice. route the cables and then make the connection from the monitor to the xcar unit. take the rca video that you want and connect the ipod video cable. the ipod aux cables will come back to the console and connect through a Y adaptor into the aux.

changing from 8.8 to 6.5 will only make the viewing smaller, it still will not allow you to use the other smaller section since when you are using the xcar system it by passes everything.

The install is VERY easy and takes maybe 1 hour max!
Thank you. you have been very informative. I should get my unit by end of next week and I will give it try on next weekend. Thanks again,