E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any members here with high mileage E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed
Default Keeps going

297,000mi. Routine maint. New flywheel/clutch due to flywheel failure at 263,000. Everything works as it should. ‘05 530i 6speed
Old 08-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hit 100k miles on a road trip from Chicago to Memphis. The 550 just eats up the road with ease and it’s comfortable and poised. The engine pulls strong like the first time I drove it on the autobahn on ED.

Here is is the major items and issues thus far. Mostly DIY.

Idrive module replacement
fuel tank pressure sensor
airbag seat mat (warranty/recall)
active steer - clean optic disk
tranny oil and filter (65k)
diff oil (65k)
steering fluid canister and fluid
2x tie rods
hood shocks
2x battery
1 cupholder
Full brakes 65k
radiator sensor and hose (dealer service)
coolant change and thermostat
mechtronic sleeve tranny (dealer service)
headlight wiper pump
1 coil pack
3 sets of tires
1 set of new 124 rims
general maintenance -4K oil changes
angel eyes

on deck items in order.

Valve seals and coil packs/plugs (leaking oil and likely tripping vacuum leak error code)
Oil seal engine mount (if leaking)
front struts (possibly controls arms while at it)
rear shocks
repaint peeling black paint on side mirrors
tranny fluid 120k
brakes 120k
waterpump
Seat extension motor
bumper cover and side skirt repaint.

What I will not fix if these go

valve stem seals.
Tranny

Not bad for 13 years of ownership! My favorite car of all time!

Last edited by CVTBenhogan; 08-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:07 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xiT
Thumbs up 240k

I have over 240k miles on mine, I believe the key on this one is that it was Garage kept all it's life with only two owners before me. The car looks brand new underneath.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport

Well... I guess I can join this thread. Lots of reading to do here, as I officially have what some would consider a "high mileage" car. For me, it's the start of a new relationship with the friend I've always wanted to know...

Just bought a 2010 535i M-sport. It's a very clean car. There is some undocumented maintenance done to the car, but also a good amount that HAS been documented and done well. Here's what I know about maintenance has been done so far:

Water pump replaced
Battery (at least one)
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Walnut blast
AC compressor (froze up)
Serpentine belt (x2)
LS fuel tank sending unit
Spark plugs and coils
Oil pan gasket
Trans drain and fill with filter and pan change (96K ish)
3 injectors
front engine seal (probably ingested a belt at some point)
brakes (twice?)
coolant flush
and whatever other normal maintenance that wasn't recorded.

Now... add to that list, the Coolant Expansion tank. Split this past weekend. Parts on the way.
Next up:
front tension arms
probably a coolant level sensor and hoses
rear window trim seal
Needs a battery this winter for sure (5 years old!!)
have two rims to get straightened
also did a good job messing up my front bumper (hooked it on a curb), so it needs to be reset properly.

I need to figure out what other common things are coming. Power steering flush and tank, maybe? Hopefully not a bunch at once. I'm sure there is a list here somewhere. HAHA

Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi sport

Originally Posted by scootermcrad
Well... I guess I can join this thread. Lots of reading to do here, as I officially have what some would consider a "high mileage" car.
We'll be the judge of that! How many miles????
Old 10-03-2019, 03:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport

Originally Posted by inline6xi
We'll be the judge of that! How many miles????
100K, which I personally think is low for the car. Especially in this condition, but since there was a lot of discussions about 100k plus cars, I figured I would join in and follow along. I know there will be some work to do and the best way to stay up on it is to educated myself and prepare. I'm hoping this car will last our family a LONG time. I think it will! And it's very enjoyable!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

I have 165,537 miles on my 2005 e60. 6spd manual, M54 engine. MagnaFlow Stainless Steel exhaust.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535 IX
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 6 w turbo

2010 E60 535XI with 180,000 miles. If I didn't live in the city, I would take it out back and shoot it ! Been throwing $ at it trying to get it running smooth so I can sell it. 2 shops and $1,500 latter, still running terrible.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530iA
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default Follow-up 170,000 miles

Originally Posted by NicoG
And going strong...just bought it from original owner, always garaged and came with a 2-inch stack of receipts... newer alternator, battety, mechatronic sleeve, starter, thrust arm bushings, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, valve cover and gasket, oil filter gasket, oil pressure switch, sway bar links...had to change a xenon bulb ($36) and wipers so far
Almost a year later and still running strong, winter is coming again... I got a set of original BMW wheels last winter from a forum member, and put snows on it. Car runs just fine, drives beautifully, sporty, silent, on track, and comfortably. Only issues are the annoying airbag light that comes on once in a while (I have to put in a new front sensor) and I erase it with the Schwaben reader. I'll need one new rubber brake line for rear right one of these days.

Not bad for a $3500 purchase...

Last edited by NicoG; 11-11-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

Approaching 135k miles. By far the most costly car I've ever owned just to keep on the road. I can't seem to shake a jerkiness at slow starts from stop, at highway speeds, and in reverse. No codes/messages, properly changed fluids with no metallic flakes, wheels in-round, tires good, checked & re-checked by indie shop...no clues.

Still, its a lovely car to drive and the interior quality is top notch. 26.7 mpg average and thus far, I've never been stuck in the snow. As manufactures continue with the LED overkill and continue design them to look like angry copycats, I think the design holds its own very nicely. The tech is just right, too. I don't have to wave my fingers in the air to change the volume or go through a single touch screen to do such tasks as turn on the wipers or seat heating. The deep set LCD is very elegant and the anti-glare is by far the best.

Having said that, I don't know how much longer I'm going to be willing to keep fixing things that I don't think should be failing (2 relays/motors later, the wipers still don't always park properly and where did all my washer fluid go?)

Quick Reply: Any members here with high mileage E60