E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another runflat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a change from the norm here, i'm not loooking to move from RFT to non-RFT!

Consequently, can any one of you good people recommend a decent run flat for my beloved 525 please. (Tyre profile is 225/50 R17 94W)

Current ones are Dunlop SP 01 RSST but i find them too harsh and noisy!

A number of places have recommended Nokian Z as the budget but a good option to premium brands. Has anyone had any experience with these?

What other brands/models should consider without burning a gaping hole in my pocket?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ethan' post='1054312' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:27 PM
For a change from the norm here, i'm not loooking to move from RFT to non-RFT!

Consequently, can any one of you good people recommend a decent run flat for my beloved 525 please. (Tyre profile is 225/50 R17 94W)

Current ones are Dunlop SP 01 RSST but i find them too harsh and noisy!

A number of places have recommended Nokian Z as the budget but a good option to premium brands. Has anyone had any experience with these?

What other brands/models should consider without burning a gaping hole in my pocket?

Thanks in advance!!

I like Continental.
Handles great in the dry and are pretty good in the wet. Wear is also Ok, not the best, but not the worst either and the price is pretty good.
I did find the outside edge scrubbed-off before the rest of the tyre was worn, but I do like to corner quite hard so that would result in the edge wear.
I have also fitted Goodyear, Bridgestone and Michelin. for me Continental are No: 1 with Goodyear No: 2. Lots od poeple like Michelin and they appear to be the current faviourites.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Members

thanks for that higher!

price wise, the michelins seem dearer than any other. someone said that goodyear eagle F1 are good too.... but with total damage of ?700ish for a set of 4 i'm inclined to keep on searching until a good deal comes across.... one of the downside of owning a 5er than taking a car benefit from the employer ;-( it hurts whenever something needs to be replaced or repaired ;-)
Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

RUNFLATS SUCK!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

runaflats are crap...nothing but problems..but the best ones if you desperatley want them i would advise you to get the Bridgestone Potenza RFT....very good tires quiet and excellent wet and dry traction..good luck and let us know your experiences...

Regards,
Roger
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ethan' post='1054563' date='Nov 14 2009, 10:13 AM
thanks for that higher!

price wise, the michelins seem dearer than any other. someone said that goodyear eagle F1 are good too.... but with total damage of ?700ish for a set of 4 i'm inclined to keep on searching until a good deal comes across.... one of the downside of owning a 5er than taking a car benefit from the employer ;-( it hurts whenever something needs to be replaced or repaired ;-)
For what it's worth, I came off a car scheme a couple of years ago. Very painful loosing the fuel card, expensed car etc. Still not fully used to owning my own car (even though I run a 3 touring a VW and the 5). My epxerience and that of mates, is that if you put asside the car allowanc each month then you'll have a healthly budget to maintain, fuel the car.

Some poeple have put non RFT's on their cars and that is a lot chaper.Non RFT's tyres are 100 UK pounds compared to Goodyears at 200 UK pounds (have found them for 160). However, I once nearly died following a front tyre blow out and roll-over on a non RFT car, so I like the security of RFT's, particularly as I have a young familly and I will live with the extra cost and hard ride to keep the extra safety.

Good luck, less us know what you choose and what you think of them ?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Members

Maybe worth looking into the Bridgstone ER300 rft, they are getting good reviews, dont know of any e60 drivers using them yet though.

I did start a thread on them, but cant find it.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='1055689' date='Nov 16 2009, 12:06 AM
Maybe worth looking into the Bridgstone ER300 rft, they are getting good reviews, dont know of any e60 drivers using them yet though.

I did start a thread on them, but cant find it.
^try the search button below the google bar. I found it recently, works amazing!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1055703' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:52 AM
^try the search button below the google bar. I found it recently, works amazing!
oh yeah, not seen that before......
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Members

don't bit my head off for posting this but I've decided to give the Nokian Z a try to see how well they fair.

On one hand I'm thinking whether in order to save money now am I opting for the wrong choice that could ultimately end up costing more in the long run or give the cheaper alternatives a try and then make form the opinion about their worth. Nokian in general seem to be bit of a Marmite of a tyre, some seem to absolutely adore it whilst the others loathe it.

Cost wise, when fully fitted they come in almost half the price of a dunlop sp01 RFT so it's only fair that i give them a chance

btb, a little trivia for all, Nokia mobile phones and Nokian tyres used to belong to the same parent company - the Nokia Corporation ;-) Nokia had been manufactiuring Nokian tyres long before venturing into telecoms and mobile phones

Quick Reply: Another runflat question