E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another runflat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Save money on anything you like..................except tyres and brakes !

Choose them because you think they are good by all means, but not purely to cut costs, you are asking 4 small patches of rubber to keep an awful lot of car on the road.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Members

Kaf... fair point!

But I am definitely not choosing Nokian due to cost only....... I did my research and even spoken to a fried of mine with a 5er in Finland who happens to be one of those who has remained faithful to Nokian over the course of 3 different 5ers (though they have specific summer/winter variants). To be honest, I was not even sure whether Nokians were available in the UK widely as most of my searches initially rendered nothing until by chance one of the garages suggested that give Nokian a try and when enquired about the price it came in a lot cheaper than the mainstream ones (at lease in the UK).

...... enough with my justification on choice but have you actually had any experience with the Nokian?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Members

Right then - an update!

Had the Nokians' fitted to the rear wheels a couple of weeks back and so far so good. However, i just don't seem to be able to find the right tyre pressure as yet.....

the recommended pressure for the 225/50 R17 94W is 2'2 and 2'5 according the label on the driver side door - so I duly set the pressure accordingly and been merrily driving as usual.

Last week I stopped by the dealer to check the brakes and got the workshop to also check the pressure as I felt there was little swaying whenever the car hit a groove on the road. Their feedback was that the tyres were over inflated and they had set to correct pressure !!!
On my way home, out of curiosity, I decided to stop by the service station to check the now "corrected" pressure and shock horror - the pressure read as 1'8 for the front and 2' for the rear. Over the course of next few days I noticed the MPG was dropping heavily (from 39.1 to 36.6). So I've reset the pressure back to 2'2 and 2'5 as per manufacturer spec.

So now the million dollar question - what is the correct pressure that I should be using? I've always stuck to the manufacturer recommendation! but if the dealer thinks they result in over inflation then I've no clue as to what the correct setting should be! Also, when I called up the dealer to ask why the pressure was set so low - they suddenly had no recollection of correcting it in the first place?

help?????
Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I will not believe the garage is not competent enough to be able to adjust to the right/correct tyre pressure. Hopefully it's only due to a lever giving the wrong reading.

My take is that tyre pressure should be at least as specified by BMW. Sometimes I'm experimenting with adding 10% more, partly because of weight (try to be in the middle between the two spec's), partly because it will reduce roll resistance and partly because I get a better grip when I am enjoying a tick of inspired driving.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by ethan' post='1054312' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:27 PM
For a change from the norm here, i'm not loooking to move from RFT to non-RFT!

Consequently, can any one of you good people recommend a decent run flat for my beloved 525 please. (Tyre profile is 225/50 R17 94W)

Current ones are Dunlop SP 01 RSST but i find them too harsh and noisy!

A number of places have recommended Nokian Z as the budget but a good option to premium brands. Has anyone had any experience with these?

What other brands/models should consider without burning a gaping hole in my pocket?

Thanks in advance!!

I really liked my Bridgstone R/F, that came on my 07, 550 they wore well and worked like a charm when I had a flat tire. My 09 came with non R/F conti which I just replaced, I actually like R/F tires, they have improved a lot since first introduced. Good Luck
Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Members

After much trial and error to find a good compromise between handling and ride quality with wheels / run flats and non run flats, various tyre pressures with every combination, im now back to 17in rft's and have 35 front 34 psi rear, and find the ride and handling excellent with 1- 2 peeps on board, with 4 and a trunk full id need 36 psi in the rear. These cars are so sensitive to tyre pressures and find 1 psi really does make a difference.
I do get a degree of road noise but had similar with non fun flats so put that down to the chassis, not the tyres.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='1066313' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:41 AM
I will not believe the garage is not competent enough to be able to adjust to the right/correct tyre pressure. Hopefully it's only due to a lever giving the wrong reading.

My take is that tyre pressure should be at least as specified by BMW. Sometimes I'm experimenting with adding 10% more, partly because of weight (try to be in the middle between the two spec's), partly because it will reduce roll resistance and partly because I get a better grip when I am enjoying a tick of inspired driving.
i ensured that at least from my end the pressure gauges were reading correctly (two different service stations with digital readout gauge/pump)

on the MPG side, I'm getting a little concerned now as the MPG is down to 34 post tyre change from 39.1 pre change! with no change to my weekly driving ritual.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='1066870' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:47 AM
After much trial and error to find a good compromise between handling and ride quality with wheels / run flats and non run flats, various tyre pressures with every combination, im now back to 17in rft's and have 35 front 34 psi rear, and find the ride and handling excellent with 1- 2 peeps on board, with 4 and a trunk full id need 36 psi in the rear. These cars are so sensitive to tyre pressures and find 1 psi really does make a difference.
I do get a degree of road noise but had similar with non fun flats so put that down to the chassis, not the tyres.
Thanks Rob - will give your suggestion a go and report back!

Btb, please can you elaborate of the full profile of your tyres?

cheers!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ethan' post='1067017' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks Rob - will give your suggestion a go and report back!

Btb, please can you elaborate of the full profile of your tyres?

cheers!
i certainly can ethan

225x50x17
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='1067064' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:26 PM
i certainly can ethan

225x50x17
ditto here with 94W.... thanks again.

Quick Reply: Another runflat question