E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another micro power module (MPM) blown!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

So that a reason I post a thread if you have water under spare tire. I have put these boxes to ziplock. It's a bad sign.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Members

Is it confirmed that you have to get your car reprogrammed? Does our car have to be programmed by the dealership? Unfortunately over a gallon of water spilled in my trunk this morning and now my idrive isn't working. One thing I can say is nothing burned up.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Check that white module as pictured here....in fact relocate them.....disconnect your battery overnight and see if issue is resolved.

Originally Posted by jvilla

Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Members

Will I have to get my car reprogrammed if I disconnect my battery for that long?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
New Members

It also just happened to my 545i. What a ridiculous place to put the module. I replaced it and the one Fuse I know of and the radio still does not come on. I am going to check all the fuses. Is there a definitive answer on if it has to be programmed? I was hoping the radio would at least power on. Do you think its another fuse somewhere? I replaced fuse no. 57 - 20 amp.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I don't know if the module needs to be programmed, or not. Why not install it and find out?

While you are installing the new part take a few minutes and move the MPM to sit over the wheel well. I put mine behind the Sirius Tuner. I wouldn't use a ZIP lock bag. How can the bag seal the part completely? The MPM is an electronic device needs a cooling air supply which will be greatly reduced with a plastic bag.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by porksoda
i think someone should try it out. Line the top of hte spare wheel area with vapour barier and add some insulation to it... so even if water goes in it would be deterred by the vapour barier and insulation.

Originally Posted by phlfly
So that a reason I post a thread if you have water under spare tire. I have put these boxes to ziplock. It's a bad sign.
Won't this lead to overheating?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Ok I must be genuinely confused or not understanding this correctly. How does the water get into that area in the first place and if so it has to be significant amount of water to basically flood the area? Please help me understand this correctly....
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by syrousd
Ok I must be genuinely confused or not understanding this correctly. How does the water get into that area in the first place and if so it has to be significant amount of water to basically flood the area? Please help me understand this correctly....
One way water gets to spare wheel well area is when sunroof drain channels gets clogged/blocked.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pcy
One way water gets to spare wheel well area is when sunroof drain channels gets clogged/blocked.
From what I've read, people's ice coolers in the trunk have dropped to the side while driving and the melted ice and other liquids found their way to the tire well as well as broken water or other liquid containers they carry in the trunk.

According to my SA, another way to get water in the trunk is to have debris such as leaves or pine needles build-up above the trunk rubber trim just below the rear window, causing water to come in where the rubber trim cannot compress against the metal surface. I've also read that simple water runoff, when it rains, can find its way to the electronics when you simply open the trunk during a strong waterfall.

Sad that BMW is not even trying to remedy their design flaw by simply moving the electronics whenever the car is in the shop.

Quick Reply: Another micro power module (MPM) blown!