E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another micro power module (MPM) blown!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
jgt
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I've seen this issue come up a few times on the board so I think I'm just going to go ahead and relocate the MPM closer to the battery.
Where is the sunroof drain channel and how exactly does it flood the trunk?
I'm trying to get a picture in my head of where the water enters and diverts to the trunk instead of where its suppose to drain.

Someone posted a TSB I believe of where BMW was relocating the MPM. I'll go search for it.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Members

Just an FYI, you have to get you car reprogrammed (Stealership 1, Customer 0). I had a gallon of water in my drunk and the top popped off. Needless to say, when I got to the gym I had less than a half a gallon left in the jug. It was a sad day.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Members

Is there a DIY on moving the MPM?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by 545BlackinGA
Is there a DIY on moving the MPM?
Yes there is it is in the same thread here!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i Sport

Originally Posted by syrousd
Yes there is it is in the same thread here!!!!
OOHHH dont forget about this too people.....
Click here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i 6-spd
Model Year: 2005

i just blew mine up the other day, did any of you replace the power module yourselves? if so did you have to replace the connector on the wiring harness?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bringing this issue back up to the top - I've been getting the following error msgs since I bought the car around July of 2010.

1) flat tire monitor msg, when there's never a flat tire (maybe once a month)
2) dynamic stability control failure (2x)
3) ABS failure (1x)

I wasn't too sure what's going on when I received the first 3 msgs, but clearing/restarting the car would resolve the errors and research on this forum show that they're not uncommon.

However, two weeks ago while driving to Snow Summit, I encountered an Electrical System Error (stop driving immediately) and #1 together. Clearing/restart resolved both issues, but these are serious issues. I scheduled an appt w/ a mechanic, and just a few days before, my auto-headlights switch LED started to blink.

The mechanic first checked the idrive output, which shows the service list as all green and the control msgs as All Systems OK. He then used the autologics device, which showed a ton of errors logged w/ the car. He couldn't tell what was wrong by going through all the messages, but all basic systems were ok. In regards to the headlights, he said it could be the AHL module or an error with a sensor related to steering, but he didn't have time to address it today. He then checked both my battery and alternator, which were both ok.

Checking the tires, he said that one of my front tires appear to have an improper tread pattern. I'll need an alignment that'll cost around $200. Is this correct advice, and is the price normal? Could this be triggering the flat tire monitor?

At this point he cleared my error messages, and said to wait and watch for the next error and come in when it occurs. Does this sound ok? Should I try another shop?

These electrical gremlins are pretty scary, and after finally finding this thread, I'm thinking my MPM might be the cause. I accidently left the trunk open mid-december (I posted a msg about this several months ago in anguish), and although the MPM was already re-positioned above the battery, could power module still be affected? I visually inspected the module by opening the top flap which showed nothing obvious. The other culprit suggested by other forum msgs is the IBS - if my battery/alternator is fine, could the IBS still be an issue? I have no power drain issues.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by skEwb
Apparently a new MPM needs re-programming. BMW wont do it free. Even though their crappy design caused the old one to burn up and fail. Now not only does my car smell like burned plastic, it has no entertainment. Wtf is the point of owning a sweet car that smells like crap and has no computer?

BMW are being big time jerks and refuse to reprogram it w/o a high fee.

Really disappointed right now.

odd. mine didn't need reprogramming, and everything worked after i replaced it and cleaned the connectors.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I just replaced mine after one day my BT radio ipod and nav stopped working, couldn't for the life of me figure out why, took it to my indie, he went straight to the trunk and lifted the spare out and wouldn't you know it, everything was fried. Who puts sensitive electronics in a spot like that? So I'm relieved that's it nothing major, just a couple of control boxes...so I think until I get the massive quote to replace and reprogram them. Ridiculous!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
New Members

Just had my entire system reprogramed at the dealer. It fixed everything. Taylor BMW in Augusta GA...total cost $225.00
Radio, navigation, voice control back to normal.

Quick Reply: Another micro power module (MPM) blown!