E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there way to disable this feature when starting the vehicle? Whenver I turn on the vehicle, the AC vents automatically turns on by default. The BMW salesperson claim ALL BMW by default turns on the AC Vents. Is this true?

MY 06 530i Titanium Grey.
Sport package, premium package, premium sound package.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya for now they still do very annoying indeed!

First button I look for is the OFF then I turn it on when i want to
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

this is actually more annoying than radio turning on automatically when starting the car. All of the sudden everytime I get a burst of nasty hot air everytime i start the car. They better fix this soon in their next update
Old 06-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Contributors

Just close the vents I'd say..
Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

What I find anoying is that with 35 degrees Celsius it takes about 10 minutes for my car to give me some cool air out of the vents.. Very strange and anoying..
Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

I disagree with all of you. The A/C should come on when the car everytime. My A/C gets cool fairly quickly.

It might be nice if it sensed extremely high temps and did not blow hard until the A/C cooled the air down a bit but I think it is technically the right thing to blow the air at a decent clip right off.

My last car had to be turned on everytime and that was far more annoying. I guess it could remember what you had left it on but for me that would likely be A/C on so it wouldn't matter.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Members

If you reeeealy wanted to stop it, there is a way to put a capacitor over the legs of the off button, meaning when the car 1st starts, it conducts, thus turning it off, but soon the capacitor gets filled, and allows you to use the off button as normal. I've seen someone doing this to the DSC button so it would turn off on start.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

This is the dumbest statement I have heard so far on this board. The car should do what you tell it to and not have a mind of its own!

If it was OFF when you turned your car OFF it should STAY OFF. If it was ON WHEN YOU SHUT YOUR CAR OFF, it should stay ON AT NEXT RESTART.

WTF IS BMW THINKING???

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Jun 21 2005, 08:42 AM
I disagree with all of you. The A/C should come on when the car everytime. My A/C gets cool fairly quickly.

It might be nice if it sensed extremely high temps and did not blow hard until the A/C cooled the air down a bit but I think it is technically the right thing to blow the air at a decent clip right off.

My last car had to be turned on everytime and that was far more annoying. I guess it could remember what you had left it on but for me that would likely be A/C on so it wouldn't matter.
[snapback]141515[/snapback]
Old 06-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Jun 21 2005, 08:42 AM
[snapback]141515[/snapback]
The problem with this is that there is no way for the air to get cool OTHER THAN blowing hot air out of the vents. The compressor gets cranked up pretty quickly, and the freon expansion provides a heat sink pretty quickly. The main contributor to the hot air coming out of the vents is the heat buildup in the vents themselves. The only way to get cool air out of the vents is to cool the vents, and the only way to do this is to pass air through them.

This is directly analogous to the problem of wanting hot water in your shower on a cold winter morning. Given that the hot water heater is in your basement, with many feet of cold copper pipe between it and the shower head, the only solution (absent an extraordinary approach, such as buying pipe heaters) is to run the water until the pipes heat up.

This is different than the problem with car heaters, where it does take time for the engine coolant to heat up. That is why many cars now don't blast you with cold air out of the heater for the first few minutes. But as I explained above, this is an entirely different problem with respect to the hot air out of the vents when you want cool air from the A/C.

And yes, I'm a member of the "car should do what you want it to do" club when it comes to the operation of the interior amenities such as radio, climate control, etc.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I personally don't use the "Auto" setting because I don't want Air Conditioning all the time. When I turn the car off, I generally have the blower fan at the lowest setting or the next-to-lowest. At such a low setting, it almost seems like it is off when you start the car.

Quick Reply: Annoying AC Vents