E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Without the tool it's a challenge, but it can be done. I somehow managed to do it without the special tool.

I did my waterpump a few years back and the crank pulley had to be removed to access one last bolt for water pump . While re-installing the crank pulley I had the compressor belt on it. I had to literally stretch the belt with the pulley and get just one bolt installed. When that bolt went in the rest was cake.
Hopefully I can too... While trying to stretch the belt are you risking bending anything? You think I should change the water pump and thermostat when I attempt to tackle this job?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Hopefully I can too... While trying to stretch the belt are you risking bending anything? You think I should change the water pump and thermostat when I attempt to tackle this job?
Answer to your first question is No. Just be sure that the bolt you initially install on the crank goes in straight. Finger tighten it in and you should be good to go. The bolt will not finger thread in if its not staight. Took me a few attemps but I managed to get it done.

Water pump longevity vary greatly, anywhere from 50k to +100k miles. Mine crapped out at about 65k. Personally I'd replace it only when it starts to hint of bad bearing: faint and rapid clattering at the pump so to speak. Use of a mechanics stethoscope helped me diagnose my problem.

The thermostat is a much easier repair and a fairly cheap part so that I'd probably do.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i

I think this covers the majority of the tools you will need, but I may have neglected a common tool or two from the list...
- Ratchet and various wrenches
- A few extensions and universal
- Screwdrivers
- Breaker bar
- Set of Metric sockets (think I used a standard socket or two also)
- Hex bits
- Torx bits
- External Torx sockets
- Belt Tool I used was universal I got off ebay and a PITA. There are model specific tools that may work easier. Here's a quick link to the one I got Bottom-line pricing on Private Brand Tools - 70990 at ToolTopia.com&
(although the how-to video that comes with it, and also on youtube, makes the process seem effortless while the engine is out of the car and on a stand...LOL) I found that I had to place the belt on the compressor first, using the tool and turning the crank pulley with the breaker bar and socket (22 mm I think), stretch the belt little by little while also prying it onto the crank pulley with a large screwdriver, and while also holding the tool in place. An extra set of hands may help!! Also, I had a hose bracket attached to the front of the compressor that I had to bend a bit to get clearance for the tool.
- Jack and jack stands (unless you have a lift)
- Rhino ramps (unless you have a lift)
- Jack and block of wood (unless you have an engine hoist)
- Beer

Regarding what can go wrong...maybe strip a bolt head, damage an electrical wire, break a tab off the tensioner pulley while reinstalling and having to order a new one, car could fall on you, bang your knuckles on some steel...nothing that can't be overcome. One item I neglected to mention...be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal while working on this project. You wouldn't want to accidentally ground the pos cable of the alternator and fry your computers.

If you're anything like me, once all the parts are disassembled and laying around you may have one of those "oh shit, I hope I can put all this back together again so my car will work" moments. Don't be intimidated. Like I said in the first post (although maybe over simplified) you're just unbolting stuff and bolting it back on.

Last edited by myates3; 01-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

What brand water pump do you guys use except OEM
I ordered Crapt water pump from AutoHouse. Which is the OE supplier for BMW?
And where to buy it?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Margal
What brand water pump do you guys use except OEM
I ordered Crapt water pump from AutoHouse. Which is the OE supplier for BMW?
And where to buy it?
For water pumps I'd suggest ecstuning.com they have the OEM ones, plus they have OEM upgraded ones that have metal impellers, as opposed to the plastic impeller on the OEM pump.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Sry to thread jack, but while we are on the topic of water pumps... What exactly is the difference in the electric WP on my 06 N52 525i, vs the "second generation" electronic WP used on the newer 528, and 328 N52, N51?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

[QUOTE=pjinca;1488052]For water pumps I'd suggest ecstuning.com they have the OEM ones, plus they have OEM upgraded ones that have metal impellers, as opposed to the plastic impeller on the OEM pump.[/QUOTE

I checked ECS tuning but they only have re manufactured OEM pump and Craf brand that costs much less at AutoHouse. I decieded not to order Remunufactued one after reading some members comments and experience with it. just want to know if anyone have Craf water pump and how durable are they?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

myates3 covered what you need. Just make sure you clean the alt bracket and the mating surface on the block very well before installation. Also use a bit of sealant. As for water pumps I just ordered a Beck/Arnley. Metal impeller, heavy duty bearings, long warranty. The upper timing cover isn't hard, especially when you have everything removed for the alt bracket. Make sure you get new gaskets including Vanos o-rings. Those will probably give you the most trouble. I oiled mine and used a rubber mallet to lightly tap them into place.

Last edited by 545iMike; 01-24-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by 545iMike
myates3 covered what you need. Just make sure you clean the alt bracket and the mating surface on the block very well before installation. Also use a bit of sealant. As for water pumps I just ordered a Beck/Arnley. Metal impeller, heavy duty bearings, long warranty. The upper timing cover isn't hard, especially when you have everything removed for the alt bracket. Make sure you get new gaskets including Vanos o-rings. Those will probably give you the most trouble. I oiled mine and used a rubber mallet to lightly tap them into place.
Ok... One more thing I think, I've been looking for the torques to the various bolts I think I have to take out. I found motor mount bolts 38nm and alternator to bracket 43nm what Im confused about is the bracket itself is only held on by the motor mount bolts? I cant find torque specs for the bracket to the block. Also is any of the taking off the power steering pump different if I have active steering?

Last edited by Quarta2six; 01-24-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myates3
I think this covers the majority of the tools you will need, but I may have neglected a common tool or two from the list...
- Ratchet and various wrenches
- A few extensions and universal
- Screwdrivers
- Breaker bar
- Set of Metric sockets (think I used a standard socket or two also)
- Hex bits
- Torx bits
- External Torx sockets
- Belt Tool I used was universal I got off ebay and a PITA. There are model specific tools that may work easier. Here's a quick link to the one I got Bottom-line pricing on Private Brand Tools - 70990 at ToolTopia.com&
(although the how-to video that comes with it, and also on youtube, makes the process seem effortless while the engine is out of the car and on a stand...LOL) I found that I had to place the belt on the compressor first, using the tool and turning the crank pulley with the breaker bar and socket (22 mm I think), stretch the belt little by little while also prying it onto the crank pulley with a large screwdriver, and while also holding the tool in place. An extra set of hands may help!! Also, I had a hose bracket attached to the front of the compressor that I had to bend a bit to get clearance for the tool.
- Jack and jack stands (unless you have a lift)
- Rhino ramps (unless you have a lift)
- Jack and block of wood (unless you have an engine hoist)
- Beer

Regarding what can go wrong...maybe strip a bolt head, damage an electrical wire, break a tab off the tensioner pulley while reinstalling and having to order a new one, car could fall on you, bang your knuckles on some steel...nothing that can't be overcome. One item I neglected to mention...be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal while working on this project. You wouldn't want to accidentally ground the pos cable of the alternator and fry your computers.

If you're anything like me, once all the parts are disassembled and laying around you may have one of those "oh shit, I hope I can put all this back together again so my car will work" moments. Don't be intimidated. Like I said in the first post (although maybe over simplified) you're just unbolting stuff and bolting it back on.
You the man bro... I have pretty much everything you listed except the external torx sockets im gonna pick those up tomorrow. I can remove upper timing cover without removing the cover for the cylinder head? According to the TIS i have to do that first thats a piece of work in itself.

Quick Reply: Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!