E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!

I was doing some snooping under my hood and found a good amount of oil on the under carriage cover (topside). Spot is on the alternator side directly below it. I'm assuming it is the alternator bracket gasket that has gone bad. Funny thing is though i check the oil and the level seems to be good (fortunate to have a dipstick) Anything else on that side of the engine? I called my mechanic he says the job will be somewhere around 1k if it turns out that's what it is. For anyone who's done this or familiar with the repair do you think this is reasonable I just want to know. I'm pissed I have to pay so much for a repair and the part is less the $2. Shit is crazy.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!-image.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i

I did the same repair recently on my 2006 550i. It's not overly difficult or complicated but it will take some patience. If you're handy in the garage then it's not something you should fear because you're simply unbolting things and putting them back on. Problem is you need to remove about a dozen parts just to get to the damn bracket.

Removal of radiator/fan covers, removal of electric fan, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, power steering pump (set mine to the side so as not to disconnect hoses), alternator, oil cooler hoses (if equiped), driver side wheel, plastic inner wheel well, and motor mount...then you can remove the bracket to change the $1.50 gasket. A couple of these items I removed just to get a little more room since everything is crammed into such a tight spot. Another thing to note is that many of the bolts are tough to reach and you may need a couple of specialty sockets like external torx for the motor mount bolts.

Not too technically difficult but time consuming...hence the 1k for your mechanic to do the job.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by myates3
I did the same repair recently on my 2006 550i. It's not overly difficult or complicated but it will take some patience. If you're handy in the garage then it's not something you should fear because you're simply unbolting things and putting them back on. Problem is you need to remove about a dozen parts just to get to the damn bracket.

Removal of radiator/fan covers, removal of electric fan, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, power steering pump (set mine to the side so as not to disconnect hoses), alternator, oil cooler hoses (if equiped), driver side wheel, plastic inner wheel well, and motor mount...then you can remove the bracket to change the $1.50 gasket. A couple of these items I removed just to get a little more room since everything is crammed into such a tight spot. Another thing to note is that many of the bolts are tough to reach and you may need a couple of specialty sockets like external torx for the motor mount bolts.

Not too technically difficult but time consuming...hence the 1k for your mechanic to do the job.
You made that sound easy, lol.... I would call myself pretty handy I've been jumping into different repairs with the car but none ever as difficult as this that's why I'm hesitant. The only thing is that I don't think I have all the tool necessary to do the job nor anything like a Bentley manual. I used to use the spaghetti tis but that's gone now and it's not that detailed its pretty basic. What I'm scared of on this job is the motor mount and having to have the engine supported etc. don't want to get under there or start and then I can't finish waste my time and have to take it to the mechanic anyway.i really can't get over the fact that the gasket is $1.50. Just thinking about the money I can save, I really can't get over that. Mechanics had to start somewhere they just know more then the average joe smoe I know i can get it done its just at what expense. Another thing is that it's 18 deg. Here in md. I do have a garage I can drive to and do the work. But honestly scared to just jump in on something like this without some proper instructions or pics. Biggest thing I've done is change the plugs on my car. I'm not really sure what to do. I don't mind spending a couple $100 on some tools either, I just think I would need some help. All the good help seems to be in SOCAL, lol

Last edited by Quarta2six; 01-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Its pretty easy, just time consuming. As for the TIS, do a search. I posted a link to a new one. You just have to have google translate it from Russian to English. And tools, a socket set with torx bits, a breaker bar, and most important an E-torx set. The e-torx are inverted torx bits. You'll need them to remove the engine mount and alt bracket. Don't use standard sockets on the E-torx. You'll strip them. When you put in the new gasket use a bit of sealant as well. Just added protection.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Its pretty easy, just time consuming. As for the TIS, do a search. I posted a link to a new one. You just have to have google translate it from Russian to English. And tools, a socket set with torx bits, a breaker bar, and most important an E-torx set. The e-torx are inverted torx bits. You'll need them to remove the engine mount and alt bracket. Don't use standard sockets on the E-torx. You'll strip them. When you put in the new gasket use a bit of sealant as well. Just added protection.
I'm starting to think I can get it done, have you done the job before and how long did it take for you to get it done? Does everything myates3 described have to be removed? Have you ever seen a DIY or write up on the job that would be perfect I wouldnt mind tackling it with a description or some pics.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

You can do it in a weekend. Yes all of that has to be removed. Have a look at this thread. Details about the bracket gasket. https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...i-545i-120107/
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
You can do it in a weekend. Yes all of that has to be removed. Have a look at this thread. Details about the bracket gasket. https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...i-545i-120107/
Definitely seems doable do I need to be worried about any tightening torques when putting everything back together?... I'm still a little hesitant though. I need get this done before it starts to get worse.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Definitely seems doable do I need to be worried about any tightening torques when putting everything back together?... I'm still a little hesitant though. I need get this done before it starts to get worse.
Torque list: BMW TIS. Get google to translate. Russian to English.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...i-545i-120107/
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I notice the exact same looking leak on my undercarriage cover but, luckily for me I traced my leak back to my vacuum pump. Fixed it last week and no more leaks since. My ac compressor and the surrounding area was covered in oil and so too was my whole front undercarriage cover.

I'd suggest you remove the cover (6 screws) and take a look. The area under my alt was clean as a whistle. You'll notice right away if it's the dreaded alternator bracket leak or not. Good luck

Quick Reply: Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!