E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Hey All;

What is a reasonable price to get this done. My local Indy is telling me $800 for this $2 part. :-/
Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I notice the exact same looking leak on my undercarriage cover but, luckily for me I traced my leak back to my vacuum pump. Fixed it last week and no more leaks since. My ac compressor and the surrounding area was covered in oil and so too was my whole front undercarriage cover.

I'd suggest you remove the cover (6 screws) and take a look. The area under my alt was clean as a whistle. You'll notice right away if it's the dreaded alternator bracket leak or not. Good luck
Im going to do that tomorrow, I sure as hell hope its not the gasket. Where is this vacuum pump located? What parts will I need for that? Im pretty sure its going to be wet under there so how can I really tell where its coming from or will it be that obvious?

Last edited by Quarta2six; 01-24-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Torque list: BMW TIS. Get google to translate. Russian to English.
Mike another weird thing is my oil level seems to be just fine. I dont understand that.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Mike another weird thing is my oil level seems to be just fine. I dont understand that.
Probably just a slow leak. It will get worse. And as for the vacuum pump, its on the other side of the engine. Your alt bracket is definitely leaking. But you can check to see if your vacuum pump is leaking as well. Top right of engine. Passenger side.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Keep in mind that a leaking driver side valve cover gasket and/or upper timing cover can result in oil that will make its way down to the alternator bracket. In my case, I replaced the alt bracket seal only to find out that it was the timing cover gasket that was leaking. Oh well, I probably would have needed to do it eventually.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

As a follow up the process took me about 10-12 hrs in labor. Mostly because it was my first time (so I took my time) trying to figure out how everything comes out and determining the best angle/position to access the fasteners. If I had to do it again I'm sure I could cut about 4 hrs off that time. Probably the item that gave me the most trouble was the alternator. Once you remove the fasteners you'll need to rotate it just right and slide it forward. For some reason mine was stubborn and wrestled with me for a while. Also be sure you keep track of which fasterners go where. Some are hex bolts, allen, torx andthey vary in length. It's always a good feeling when you don't have any parts or fasteners left over once you complete a job. lol Removal of the motor mount isn't a big deal. Once the e-torx are removed from the block just use another jack and a block of wood (or hoist if available) to support/slightly lift the engine. The e-torx can be difficult to reach (will need extensions and a universal). The bright side is reassembly seems to go much faster than disassembly. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Also, since my ride was out of commission and laying in pieces in my garage I used it as an opportunity for other preventative maintenance like new tensioner pulley, new defelection pulley, replace belts (my ac stretchy belt was a complete PITA and will require specialty tool), coolant flush, oil change, dielectric grease on electric connections, remove debris in radiator void (you'll see it when you take the cover off), and engine detail.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Probably just a slow leak. It will get worse. And as for the vacuum pump, its on the other side of the engine. Your alt bracket is definitely leaking. But you can check to see if your vacuum pump is leaking as well. Top right of engine. Passenger side.
Ok cool... I will not have time to try and tacks this job until a out 2 weeks is that to long or is there just no telling. From all the information I've seen I think I can do it. It's definitely worth the try. Another question what can go wrong in doing this DIY?

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Keep in mind that a leaking driver side valve cover gasket and/or upper timing cover can result in oil that will make its way down to the alternator bracket. In my case, I replaced the alt bracket seal only to find out that it was the timing cover gasket that was leaking. Oh well, I probably would have needed to do it eventually.
In health services post he suggested that if doing the job to change it while I'm down there. 1-10 how bad was that job? Also what did you use to clean up the oil. I would definitely want everything removed so in the future I know it was bone dry when I finished up the job.

Originally Posted by myates3
Also, since my ride was out of commission and laying in pieces in my garage I used it as an opportunity for other preventative maintenance like new tensioner pulley, new defelection pulley, replace belts (my ac stretchy belt was a complete PITA and will require specialty tool), coolant flush, oil change, dielectric grease on electric connections, remove debris in radiator void (you'll see it when you take the cover off), and engine detail.
Yea I planned on changing the belts soon anyway might as well do it since the belts have to come off. That special tool for the ac belt I have to get that from a dealer is there any trick to getting it on?

Last edited by Quarta2six; 01-24-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

One question I have for all of you. What tools will I absolutely need that would be out of the norm? Don't want to start and then realize I don't have something and a part store is closed.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Yea I planned on changing the belts soon anyway might as well do it since the belts have to come off. That special tool for the ac belt I have to get that from a dealer is there any trick to getting it on?

Without the tool it's a challenge, but it can be done. I somehow managed to do it without the special tool.

I did my waterpump a few years back and the crank pulley had to be removed to access one last bolt for water pump . While re-installing the crank pulley I had the compressor belt on it. I had to literally stretch the belt with the pulley and get just one bolt installed. When that bolt went in the rest was cake.

Quick Reply: Alternator bracket gasket question..... Some advice please!