E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Almost Crashed Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by stream' post='197210' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:17 AM
Glad to hear no damage was done to you or the car.

I'm always extra defensive when passing SUVs after having a Mercedes M class as a loaner a few years ago--I had a hard time seeing cars as they passed me.

And having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years, I'm also extra defensive when passing senior citizens--I used to see some of the most random driving maneuvers (right turn from the left lane... ) from seniors...and also tourists down there...
Definitely the driver. Car, truck, or SUV has nothing to do with advantages/disadvantages of getting into or maneuvering out of would-be accidents. If you drive a big car, take more caution. Cover your blind spots. Given a properly maintained car or truck, safety boils down to the driver.

Now, when I drive a car (Camry, Avalon, 545i, etc.) I drive a different speed from everyone around me. That means either passing or be passed (I'm not talking about going a difference of 20+- mph).

The problem is when everyone is driving is near the same speed, people get into comfort zones and blind spots of other drivers. EuroCarFan, it sounds like you were in this man's blind spot. That's not your fault, but you should be proactive to stay out of people's blind spots. I'm glad nothing happened to you or your car.

In short, we all need a refresher course in safety driving from time to time, not just the old folks. Most importantly, we need to proactive drivers to makeup for all the other crappy drivers on the road.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Driving skills helped me avoid accident on my Xterra, but if I were in a sedan I don't think I would be in the would be accident in the first place.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Eurocarfan, good to hear you are safe and not hurt! Even better to hear your 5 is not hurt! (I've seen your pics of your 5, its hot). It's funny how it's safer to be on a race track going 160mph, than on the street watching 5 cars in front of you, to the side, and the ones coming from behind. At least on the racetrack everyone is usually going in the same direction, but on a regular road people are all over the place, or on the cell phone. If I'm gonna get hit, I think the 5 is a pretty solid and safe car to be in.
Stay safe.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I was on the phone once while racing....go karts that is.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='197480

I'm always extra defensive when passing SUVs after having a Mercedes M class as a loaner a few years ago--I had a hard time seeing cars as they passed me.

And having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years, I'm also extra defensive when passing senior citizens--I used to see some of the most random driving maneuvers (right turn from the left lane... ) from seniors...and also tourists down there...
Definitely the driver. Car, truck, or SUV has nothing to do with advantages/disadvantages of getting into or maneuvering out of would-be accidents. If you drive a big car, take more caution. Cover your blind spots. Given a properly maintained car or truck, safety boils down to the driver.

Now, when I drive a car (Camry, Avalon, 545i, etc.) I drive a different speed from everyone around me. That means either passing or be passed (I'm not talking about going a difference of 20+- mph).

The problem is when everyone is driving is near the same speed, people get into comfort zones and blind spots of other drivers. EuroCarFan, it sounds like you were in this man's blind spot. That's not your fault, but you should be proactive to stay out of people's blind spots. I'm glad nothing happened to you or your car.

In short, we all need a refresher course in safety driving from time to time, not just the old folks. Most importantly, we need to proactive drivers to makeup for all the other crappy drivers on the road.
[/quote]

I'm sure I was in his blind spot but I wasn't hanging out there. Remember, I had just changed lanes from being behind him and was accelerating to pass him. I consider myself a very courteous and defensive driver. I don't like traveling in wolf packs and hate staying in anyone's blind spots. I also always gauge all drivers around me to anticipate if they want to change lanes, stop, turn..etc.... and this Explorer gave no indication at all. In the end, no matter how safe you try to be, there's always the other driver on the road that's not.... :thumbsdown:
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='197674
Originally Posted by stream' post='197210' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:17 AM

I'm sure I was in his blind spot but I wasn't hanging out there. Remember, I had just changed lanes from being behind him and was accelerating to pass him. I consider myself a very courteous and defensive driver. I don't like traveling in wolf packs and hate staying in anyone's blind spots. I also always gauge all drivers around me to anticipate if they want to change lanes, stop, turn..etc.... and this Explorer gave no indication at all. In the end, no matter how safe you try to be, there's always the other driver on the road that's not.... :thumbsdown:
[/quote]
concur 100%