E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Almost Crashed Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by hoopsrob
Seems like 90% of the drivers out there are inferior... so if you cant teach them to drive then limit the cars they can drive. Tax SUVs!!!
Taxing SUV's won't stop people from buying them. Maybe better driver education? Driving schools?

I'm sure none of us would ever cause driving problems speeding down the road in our E60's!

By the way, I like your car---mine will be the same color.
[/quote]

I like your car too, Silver Grey is the best (for me).

You are right taxing SUV will not stop people from buying them but will help reduce the number of SUV on the road.

Same situation where if you were driving a sedan, you would definitely notice EuroCarFan's low beam and fogs and if you did check your mirror every so often you would've know that he changed lane because he is not behind you anymore. Plus if your ride height is lower to chances of you knowing a vehicle beside you will increase. I am just speaking from experience. Anyone with a SUV wants to share?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

What a coincidink, my other car happens to be an SUV, Acura MDX. I pride myself in the way I drive the MDX just as the way I drive the E60. I haven't had any problems yet...knock on wood. From experience, I would say it's the driver. I drive my MDX the same way as I drive any other car. I check my mirrors just as often and everything is just as visible as a car. That said, I guess I could see the points made about SUVs sitting higher so it could be harder to see smaller cars.

I don't know, maybe I never think any different when I get in my MDX vs getting in my E60. My driving habbits are similar in both. Similar meaning normal driving, not spirited driving as that's saved for my beloved 545.
Almost Crashed Today!!!-mdx2.jpg
Old 11-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

The MDX is one of those sedan based SUV comparing with those truck based SUV like the Explorer or the Xterra is much easier to drive IMHO.

And nice ride
Old 11-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Well, as you might have guessed from my earlier posts, my other car is an SUV...a non-sedan like Navigator. You could make an argument that because you sit up higher on the road, that you can see things happen and develop around you better.

But again, it comes down to the driver, in my opinion. It doesn't matter what car you drive if you are talking on the cell phone, reading the paper, and balancing your fast food meal in your lap!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Contributors

And the old man behind the wheel doesn't help either
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Old 11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

That's funny!

I guess I should clarify that I didn't mean to note that he was an old man to insinuate that his age had anything to do with his driving. I only meant to say that because he was older, I felt bad for flipping him off and wanting to kick his a$$... hahaha

That reminds me, I was behind this driver once who was going really slow and didn't signal before they stopped abruptly to turn into a parking lot. I was irritated and was about to pull next to the car and honk when I saw that it was my MOM!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Is true, as we get older our driving skill will also go down a bit cause is natural. You don't have the quick reflex like you use to, you will need soft music while driving. So not necessarily an insult, I once almost got ran over by a Granny because she didn't see me behind her car when she is backing out of her parking spot. That's why is mandatory to test them every year.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

Glad you & your car are ok!

When l had the 1 Series, I had a guy in a Land Rover (with a huge bull-bar on the front) plough into my drivers door when I passed him. He said he never even saw me!!

I think the risk of accidents is greatly increased during passing manouvres.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Glad to hear no damage was done to you or the car.

I'm always extra defensive when passing SUVs after having a Mercedes M class as a loaner a few years ago--I had a hard time seeing cars as they passed me.

And having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 years, I'm also extra defensive when passing senior citizens--I used to see some of the most random driving maneuvers (right turn from the left lane... ) from seniors...and also tourists down there...

Quick Reply: Almost Crashed Today!!!