E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Airbag SGM fault 93F9 - how to fix it?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

my battery is good
how do i update the firmware on the module?
which inpa Version?
thx
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

All members - I've been getting bombarded with PMs about this. I regret even mentioning it. Do not PM me for any reason relating to this. I am not going to help anyone outside of the people I have already helped and what I am about to say:

You can code any error out. There are two types of E60, the E60 and the LCI E60. There are differences in the network of the cars. Each persons error can be a hard fault or soft fault. Either way, it can be coded out just as the SOS Call System Failure can be.
It took me time to learn what I know. It didn't come easy for me so don't expect it to come easy for you. If you want to learn, simply read and figure it all out. If it's not that important to you then pay someone to fix it.
Besides if you do a search you will see I posted and fixed a few members issues a year or two ago. it's on here somewhere. The moderators just need to do a better job of organizing the site so things are easier to find. But I know it's not something easy because as soon as they start more BS posts come through. The beauty of forums, internet and mankind.
The following users liked this post:
Mario Baran (05-10-2021)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

OK guys, on the basis that AchtungE60 has been "bombarded" with requests for help (I was one who courteously PM'd him), then there must be more of us than the handful in this thread that have this problem.

I am willing to learn as well as put the effort into finding a resolution to this but have never coded anything on my car although I do have the necessary cable and software. I have also read up on the principlesand process of coding with NCS Expert.

Who is up for trying to pool our information, resources and knowledge as to finding out what and how to re-code whatever needs re-coding.

Given that DIS says that the SGM/SIM Safety & Gateway Module is the culprit (AchtungE60 seems to confirm that too), alongside the 93F9 error mine also reports that "Reserve Voltage is low" or something similar to that.

That would seem to suggest to me that (assuming your battery is OK - I have recently replaced and registered mine) that there is a high resistance somewhere that is triggering this error.

Is anyone else getting similar or even differing symptons to mine?

Just to confirm that I have the Airbag and Seatbelt warning light on plus the annoying "Bong Bong" going off until I plug in the passenger seat belt and then it will stop. I have also installed a seat sensor bypass in the passenger seat but this appears to have had no effect on anything.

If we start with consolidating all the facts and symptons we might be able to methodically sort out a fix.

PS. AchtungE60, no expectations but feel free to chime in and point us in the right direction (help) any time you like.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I'll chime in......

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-124383/page3/
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Thanks AchtungE60, I had already read through that thread (which was very helpful), and others that outline the procedure for coding out the OC3 sensor and was considering giving that a go on mine.

I'm just not 100% convinced that this will cure my problem (although I'm willing to give it a go), since 93F9 is supported with a comment "insufficient or low reserve voltage" (can't remember the exact wording) which through other research I have done is part of the integrals of the ECU where capacitors provide Energy reserve to provide back up power to the air bag system, (to enable deployment) in the event that battery power is not present during a collision. The energy reserve can be as high as 35 volts and last for a several minutes after power is removed.

The capacitors themselves could be shot of course which might explain why a new module is the only solution.

I am just loathe to fork out £800 for a new module if the problem is possibly down to a high resistance somewhere. When our weather improves I will pull the module and check all the external connections.

That said, coding out OC3 may be the solution for others if their supporting comment with the code fault is different to mine.

Appreciate the chime by the way.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
New Members

Bymer and Zinchuk77,

Have sent you both a PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2006

i had the same error... only way you will fix it is if you replace the gateway module
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by ey2001
i had the same error... only way you will fix it is if you replace the gateway module
Where in Los Angeles did you replace your Safety and Gateway Module? I think I need to replace mine and was curious how much it cost you.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Members

Also in the UK, struggling with 984C error, pointing to the left head restraint system failure - even inserting a resistor to bluff the system doesnt help / work - these issues look similar and my car is failing MOT - big issue for me ....
Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530d SE

Hi guys... any joy with this 93f9 error? My E60 is throwing that code also...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag SGM fault 93F9 - how to fix it?