E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Headlight System INPA error... please decipher!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004
Default Adaptive Headlight System INPA error... please decipher!

2004 E60 545i with 6sp manual.

AHL system just started malfunctioning... blinking green LED by headlamp switch.

This occurred slightly before the alternator failed (hence the 11.79 volts); but I have since replaced the alternator; all errors are gone except for the AHL.

FWIW... I also replaced the fog lamps with 80 watter halogens just before the green light blinking and the alternator fail.

I ran INPA and came up with the attached errors.

With this information, can anyone tell what part of the system failed?light1.PNGlight2.PNG

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Headlight System INPA error... please decipher!-light1-1-.jpg   Adaptive Headlight System INPA error... please decipher!-light2-1-.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM
New Members

Am I asking in the wrong forum? Anybody?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

I don't know what everyone else is seeing, but when I click on those thumbnails I get tiny pictures with text so small it is completely illegible.

try posting again with bigger pictures of that screen shot.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Can't read the pics either. However, it could be a problem with the stepper motors or the aiming system. Pull up to the garage or anywhere you can see the lights, put the headlight switch on auto turn off the car then turn it on. If the lights don't auto level then something is wrong with the system. If it still levels then use winkfp to reset the ahl modules.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Can't read the pics either. However, it could be a problem with the stepper motors or the aiming system. Pull up to the garage or anywhere you can see the lights, put the headlight switch on auto turn off the car then turn it on. If the lights don't auto level then something is wrong with the system. If it still levels then use winkfp to reset the ahl modules.
The lights won't level any more... they used to. Note that when I took the screen shots of INPA; the alternator had failed. I have since replaced the alternator and cleared all the codes. I am going to try and remove the 80 watter fog lights to see what happens (factory units are 51 watters). If that doesn't fix it... it would just be nice to be able and pin point the failure instead of guessing whether it's the stepper motors or light module or anything else.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Dude, I am sorry, but that is a silly thing to do. Why would you put in a 80w bulb in there? Not only will it start melting/bubbling the chrome plating on the reflector, it is potentially a fire hazard since the stock wiring was never meant for that measured current. Take that shit out before it cause some damage.

As for your issue, yes, your pics are too tiny to see. If it's not doing vertical self test, it most likely is a motor issue, so SOL, need new headlight.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
New Members

That makes sense. I will do that asap. Do you think the incorrect bulbs in the fog lights caused the motor to fail?

Last edited by BraveHelios; 01-04-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Dude, I am sorry, but that is a silly thing to do. Why would you put in a 80w bulb in there? Not only will it start melting/bubbling the chrome plating on the reflector, it is potentially a fire hazard since the stock wiring was never meant for that measured current. Take that shit out before it cause some damage.

As for your issue, yes, your pics are too tiny to see. If it's not doing vertical self test, it most likely is a motor issue, so SOL, need new headlight.
Just went and took a look at the reflectors... no melting yet. It's not like I use them a lot and since it's been in the 20's here (for highs) for the last 2 months or so, it's probably helped to keep the chrome plating from melting.

Also; you mentioned headlight... each headlight has a motor; correct? I would have to figure out which headlight motor failed. Any ideas here would really be appreciated!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
If it's not doing vertical self test, it most likely is a motor issue, so SOL, need new headlight.
Not necessarily, the AHL control modules can fail. There are two AHL modules, one for each headlight. They are located under the bottom of the headlight. I would try replacing those with used ones, you can find used ones for $40-$60. You should also try to print the INPA readout to a pdf then attach it here so we can actually see the error. There is a program called PDFLite you can use that or just do print to file.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Not necessarily, the AHL control modules can fail. There are two AHL modules, one for each headlight. They are located under the bottom of the headlight. I would try replacing those with used ones, you can find used ones for $40-$60. You should also try to print the INPA readout to a pdf then attach it here so we can actually see the error. There is a program called PDFLite you can use that or just do print to file.
the two modules under the headlights are the xenon control modules and they control the xenon bulbs and so on. If your lights work those modules are fine. ( unless your headlights dont work at all?? )

Something is causing your stepper control modules to malfunction. Friend just recently had this and had to get one of them replaced, you have to see which one the code is coming from. If they arent giving a code check your FOOT-WELL MODULE, it may be malfunctioning. Also happened to my friend. You should be able to see for INPA if its throwing a code.

since your alternator was bad it may have caused it the short out, or your 80w bulbs may have done the same.

Those are the only things i can say to check since this happened to my friend and he had all these replaced.

Last edited by nothingbutbmw; 01-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight System INPA error... please decipher!