E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I brought my car in for service after the active steering light came on and the steering was disabled. On both occassions the problem went away after the car was turned off and went into sleep mode. The dealer said there was a bulletin on this and the car needed a software update.

After I picked up the car the active steering light came on within 40 minutes of leaving the dealer although the steering still functioned properly. Back at the dealer they hooked it up to the computer and found that there is a potential problem with a relay switch. The mechanic said he would have to run a long diagnostic and if it is the switch it will be a quick fix on Monday. He said if it's not the switch they will be replacing the entire steering rack assembly! This will take up to a week to get the parts. He had this happen with another E60 and that is what BMW reccomended.

Has anyone out there had this happen? Replacing the steering rack sounds like major surgery on my baby! :'(

Has any one had this happen to them or heard of this problem? At least they gave me a 525 as a loaner. It's not the 545 but way better than the 330i I had last time.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

It looks like your BMW dealer is doing the best to fix your car
Old 02-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

Funny you should mention this problem, but mine is in for the same problem too. They told me that they were reloading software over the weekend, but nothing about replacing the whole steering mech.

Mine was making clicking sounds occasionally and then the warning light would come on to indicate that the Active Steering was malfunctioning.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Members

My 530d had exactly the same problem. The dealer service ordered a new steering rack and replaced the original one. I'll get my car back next wednesday and hope the problem solved forever. They told me that there was a position sensor sometimes giving a wrong signal and, therefore, transmitting an alarm to the main black box. The alarm disappeared when you switched off and on again.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Do a search. I've had 2 steering racks replaced already. I guess I'm an expert now.
As of last month there were 10 sent to CA. One came to MA broken so they got another one. That leaves 8 in the US as of last month. Make sure you get a good loaner as mine was in for 8 days the first time then 14 days the second time.

BTW, what's your mileage and your build date? Just curious.