E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 04 545 just had it's 12k mile oil change -- Service advisor told me there is a recall on the active steering... it is a "connector" on the active steering harness. They inspected and replaced the cap. I did not have any noise but i am wondering if it is related to your noise. I also had the window "anti-trap malfunction" warning for approx 10 days and the day before i brought the car in for service, the malfunction cleared itself.... really, i saw the warning icon disappear while driving, did it know it was going in to see the Dr. ? I mentioned this to service advisor and when told it would be a s/w upgrade to V13 something, i declined..... car is driving so well and i've heard so much about s/w upgrades i did not want to go-there. I was told that upgrades were an issue with Nav but i do not have Nav. To me it's kind of like a windows OS upgrade and i am a believer of not messing with s/w if there is not a real need/issue. Had the anti-trap malfunction not cleared itself- i would had the upgrade performed. I don't take upgrades lightly-- there is alot that can go wrong... as posted on this board, sometimes it's the "loading" that takes so much time- and sometimes it loads just fine but the s/w does not "work quite right". I'm thinking that some of the upgrade issues have to do with h/w and upgraded s/w incompatibilities.

And BTW... the service dept left the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) pigtail sticking out... it's behind a little door above the trunk release button by your left foot..... i doubt there are any ways for us "tinkerer's" to access the computer but if you do, please post.

thanks, mike
Old 11-04-2004, 02:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 3 occurrences of the active steering malfunction error, when turning the ignition on.

In all cases, a simple switch off-switch on to the ignition returned it to normal operation.

Took it to the dealer, and after analysing the system log they immediatly said some component needed a replacement, although I could keep the car while waiting for the replacement part, as it did not affected the safety of the car.

It's being serviced now, hope to pick it up tomorrow.