E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='215492' date='Dec 25 2005, 11:30 AM
I have a 2005 545 SMG with Sports Package. As such, my car came with Active Steering... which was included with the Sport Package on 2005 models.

My impression? I LOVE Active Steering. Absolutely love it.

<snip>

That is.... until a couple of weekends ago... when I drove an M5 at the BMW performance center.
The M Servotronic steering is AMAZING. Absolutely the BEST thing about the M5, in my opinion. The steering is speed-sensitive, and the ratio is very quick and responsive. The steering wheel feels so loose, and is so easy to turn quickly... when compared to my 545... it makes the M feel like such a lightweight car.

I now understand why AS is not available on the M5. Servotronic is just awesome. Hands down. It has to be driven to be understood. But there would be no looking back for me.

So... does this mean I don't like AS anymore? No... it just means I understand why it is not available on the M5.

If I was not getting an M5, and had to get a 550 next... I think I would still get Active Steering.
Although I haven't driven an M5 yet, I agree that AS is great and I would order it again.

One thing I'm not 100% sure of (I'm about 98% sure, I guess) is that AS cars also have servotronic, right? From reading this thread, you get the impression that we're comparing AS cars (without servotronic) to servotronic cars (without AS). Isn't AS built on top of servotronic?

Either way, I really like AS and don't feel I'm missing anything when driving it. Just like many have said here, the only time I feel like I'm missing something is when I'm driving a car without it...
Old 12-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='215689
I have a 2005 545 SMG with Sports Package. As such, my car came with Active Steering... which was included with the Sport Package on 2005 models.

My impression? I LOVE Active Steering. Absolutely love it.

<snip>

That is.... until a couple of weekends ago... when I drove an M5 at the BMW performance center.
The M Servotronic steering is AMAZING. Absolutely the BEST thing about the M5, in my opinion. The steering is speed-sensitive, and the ratio is very quick and responsive. The steering wheel feels so loose, and is so easy to turn quickly... when compared to my 545... it makes the M feel like such a lightweight car.

I now understand why AS is not available on the M5. Servotronic is just awesome. Hands down. It has to be driven to be understood. But there would be no looking back for me.

So... does this mean I don't like AS anymore? No... it just means I understand why it is not available on the M5.

If I was not getting an M5, and had to get a 550 next... I think I would still get Active Steering.
Although I haven't driven an M5 yet, I agree that AS is great and I would order it again.

One thing I'm not 100% sure of (I'm about 98% sure, I guess) is that AS cars also have servotronic, right? From reading this thread, you get the impression that we're comparing AS cars (without servotronic) to servotronic cars (without AS). Isn't AS built on top of servotronic?

Either way, I really like AS and don't feel I'm missing anything when driving it. Just like many have said here, the only time I feel like I'm missing something is when I'm driving a car without it...
[/quote]

Rudy, the link below is to an article that seems to support your suspicions, AS is built on top of the servotronic system.

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/afs.htm
Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215545
but when you drive very fast along highways, up to 130 mph and above, definitively you need to change your habits otherwise you're lost. I feel that, in those situations, you have to turn your steering wheel more than usual; if you don't, the car developes a tendency to understeer and that is not a behaviour you expect from her.
Can you provide some clarification of what you say in the above excerpt? Is what you describe really understeer, or is the effect you mention produced simply because you tend to go straighter than you want since you don't turn your steering wheel far enough when driving with AS. I can see how the later could happen with AS, but I don't see how AS, itself, could produce understeer.
[/quote]
It's not a real understeer, just you feel like it because you don't turn your steering wheel enough and so the car goes to the external of the turn. If you turn the wheel more than usual, the car's suspension got loaded and you can turn very fast and tight. But it doesn't work on wet surface, because you create a momentum in the middle of the turn that could cause some loss of traction and, possibly, bad oversteer; it happened to me on a couple of times and I was saved only by the intervention of ESP.

I also noticed that grasping tightly with your hands the steering wheel helps to develope a better feeling and greatly reduce the vagueness feeling, at the cost of much higher psycological commitment and some fatigue .
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

My opinion of AS -

Good:
1) During tight & slow corners (i.e. hairpin turns) less steering wheel movement is required. You never cross your arms - similar to a race car

2) During paralell parking situations, it is so convenient because less steering wheel movement is required.

3) During high speed and highway situations, the amount of steering wheel movement required is similar to any other regular car.

Bad:
1) During tight & slow corners (i.e. hairpin turns) you have to "relearn" how much steering you need based on your speed. After 5k miles I'm still not totally used to it and sometimes I still need to readjust my steering angle after the initial turn-in.

2) Steering is "lighter" and has less resistance. Almost feels like Lexus or Audi steering. On my old BMW E36, the steering was very heavy and had a lot more resistance. That was the typical BMW steering that I liked. The E36 felt like my hands were connected directly to the front wheels, whereas AS on the E60 feels as if my hands are connected to a computer that is connected to the front wheels.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='215710' date='Dec 26 2005, 12:29 PM
On my old BMW E36, the steering was very heavy and had a lot more resistance. That was the typical BMW steering that I liked. The E36 felt like my hands were connected directly to the front wheels, whereas AS on the E60 feels as if my hands are connected to a computer that is connected to the front wheels.
That's a nice description.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

There is a reason they didn't put as on the m5 AND let's not start the lemons vs oranges stuff. M servotronic is just a tweaked out servotronic to make it eve more sportier. It is closer to servotronic than to AS.The M5 doesn't have that cahnging ratio the as has.
Reasons i didin't want to pay 2000euros:
1.AS takes away the feel and period. That's what i felt on my test drives.
2. There is less to go wrong (and we can see quite alot of as malfuntions and so...)
3. If i hit a pothole and the alignament is wrecked (and we do have alot of creaters here) you really need a good and experienced dealership to fix that just as new.
4. It would cost alot to realigne.
5. The road feel on standard servotronic is absolutley amaizing and perfect as it is. I don't want no steering ratios budgin in when i drive hard and steer alot, fast and brutal.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='215708
Originally Posted by Lucky' post='215512' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:18 PM
but when you drive very fast along highways, up to 130 mph and above, definitively you need to change your habits otherwise you're lost. I feel that, in those situations, you have to turn your steering wheel more than usual; if you don't, the car developes a tendency to understeer and that is not a behaviour you expect from her.
Can you provide some clarification of what you say in the above excerpt? Is what you describe really understeer, or is the effect you mention produced simply because you tend to go straighter than you want since you don't turn your steering wheel far enough when driving with AS. I can see how the later could happen with AS, but I don't see how AS, itself, could produce understeer.
It's not a real understeer, just you feel like it because you don't turn your steering wheel enough and so the car goes to the external of the turn. If you turn the wheel more than usual, the car's suspension got loaded and you can turn very fast and tight. But it doesn't work on wet surface, because you create a momentum in the middle of the turn that could cause some loss of traction and, possibly, bad oversteer; it happened to me on a couple of times and I was saved only by the intervention of ESP.

I also noticed that grasping tightly with your hands the steering wheel helps to develope a better feeling and greatly reduce the vagueness feeling, at the cost of much higher psycological commitment and some fatigue .
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='215710' date='Dec 26 2005, 09:29 PM
My opinion of AS -

Good:
1) During tight & slow corners (i.e. hairpin turns) less steering wheel movement is required. You never cross your arms - similar to a race car

2) During paralell parking situations, it is so convenient because less steering wheel movement is required.

3) During high speed and highway situations, the amount of steering wheel movement required is similar to any other regular car.

Bad:
1) During tight & slow corners (i.e. hairpin turns) you have to "relearn" how much steering you need based on your speed. After 5k miles I'm still not totally used to it and sometimes I still need to readjust my steering angle after the initial turn-in.

2) Steering is "lighter" and has less resistance. Almost feels like Lexus or Audi steering. On my old BMW E36, the steering was very heavy and had a lot more resistance. That was the typical BMW steering that I liked. The E36 felt like my hands were connected directly to the front wheels, whereas AS on the E60 feels as if my hands are connected to a computer that is connected to the front wheels.
I totaly agree with you: on board AS equipped cars you need to "trust" that your front wheels are moving in parallel with your steering wheel, because you're not able to feel them. This is very unpleasant, especially in wet conditions. On most other cars I owned or used recently (Audi A6, Mercedes E, Audi A4, Alfa Romeo 166 etc.) you could feel your front wheels like having your hands on them! This is a feedback I greatly miss now with my BMW.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Justgold18' post='215665' date='Dec 26 2005, 10:01 AM
Active Steering is a complete convenience option. When pivoting your car during parking or low speed manuvers, steering is a breeze. The drive is not required to turn the wheel as much as he/she would if car did not have Active Steering. Also at hire speeds, the steering feels as though it tightens up and adjusts with the drivers input.

For every convenience is a trade-off. A vehicle with Active Steering seems to be less responsive. What I mean by this is the steering is computer assisted and does take away from the drivers feel of the road. I do live in the the city of Chicago, and do appreciate the Active Steering, especially when parallel parking or parking at The Hancock, Marina City, or any other parking garage that you need to drive up in circles 5 stories until you even see a parking space.

Suggestion...

Go to a dealer that has a car equiped with the active Steering and request a Test Drive. Please post your feedback afterward.

-J
If your AS is taking away the feel of the road IMO you better have it checked out.Road feel is not light it is heavy at higher speeds.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='215710' date='Dec 26 2005, 02:29 PM
Actually I drove a non AS 550 and a non AS 330 back to back. The 330 required muscle to turn the wheel, the 550 was much lighter. The salesperson even commented that he thought the 550 had AS based on how easy it was to turn the wheel.

Quick Reply: Active Steering