E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='215492' date='Dec 25 2005, 11:30 AM
Aviod it. Something else that can break. You gotta wonder why the ///M guys decided to skip it in the M5. It doesn't feel "natural" when you're going slow and making turns. Sometimes you don't know how much to correct and you will need to get used to it. It's not worth it IMHO.

Just some comments I want to make on this:

I have a 2005 545 SMG with Sports Package. As such, my car came with Active Steering... which was included with the Sport Package on 2005 models.

My impression? I LOVE Active Steering. Absolutely love it.
Active Steering is not something you notice when you drive a car that has it.
You notice it after you have been using it for a while, and then drive a car without it.
Instantly, you find that driving at slow speeds requires far more effort to steer.
Making a turn at a traffic light or stop sign, you must remove your hands from the wheel to get the added turns to complete the turn. With AS, I never take my hands off or 9 'oclock and 3 oclock.

When I heard that the M5 was not offering Active Steering, I was disappointed. I love my AS so much.. and my name is on the M5 list... but I wanted to have AS on the M.

That is.... until a couple of weekends ago... when I drove an M5 at the BMW performance center.
The M Servotronic steering is AMAZING. Absolutely the BEST thing about the M5, in my opinion. The steering is speed-sensitive, and the ratio is very quick and responsive. The steering wheel feels so loose, and is so easy to turn quickly... when compared to my 545... it makes the M feel like such a lightweight car.

I now understand why AS is not available on the M5. Servotronic is just awesome. Hands down. It has to be driven to be understood. But there would be no looking back for me.

So... does this mean I don't like AS anymore? No... it just means I understand why it is not available on the M5.

If I was not getting an M5, and had to get a 550 next... I think I would still get Active Steering.
I don't get it subF. You notice when you drive a car that doesn't have AS (e.g., more steering effort and, for example, removng your hands to turn). After going back to driving a car with AS I would think you would notice less steering effort and, for example, never removing your hands. But, you say that AS is something that one doesn't notice. I agree with your last observation (at least I don't notice AS), but I also don't notice a significant difference between turning effort or, for example, had removal when moving from my 545i (AS) and my Z06 (non-AS). My confusion continues to mount.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='215512' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:18 PM
but when you drive very fast along highways, up to 130 mph and above, definitively you need to change your habits otherwise you're lost. I feel that, in those situations, you have to turn your steering wheel more than usual; if you don't, the car developes a tendency to understeer and that is not a behaviour you expect from her.
Can you provide some clarification of what you say in the above excerpt? Is what you describe really understeer, or is the effect you mention produced simply because you tend to go straighter than you want since you don't turn your steering wheel far enough when driving with AS. I can see how the later could happen with AS, but I don't see how AS, itself, could produce understeer.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='215346' date='Dec 24 2005, 11:36 PM
I notice a lot of (particularly US) cars seem to have specced the Active Steering

I seem to recall that in almost every UK roadtest they have slated the Active Steering and recommended to avoid it (the standard complaint along with run flats!).
I don't have it - and none of the cars I have driven had it - so can't verify their view.

So is it money well spent or diluting the driver experience ?
I say YES for M Suspension or dynamic drive
But I say definitely NO to active steering !
Very personal point of view, but obviously, active steering = less "freud am fahren"
Old 12-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

I definitively LOVE Active Steering.

Absolutely love it.

Active Steering is not something you notice when you drive a car that has it, but, if you have it, you will notice when you drive a car without it...

AS and Dynamic drive are a must IMHO.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Well that stirred up a bit of debate !

Some love it, some hate it seems to be the conclusion (with perhaps "its better than it used to be due to software improvements")

Thanks everybody for your thoughts
Old 12-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

owning a 545iT without AFS and recently driving high speed a lot of KM with a AFS equipped 535dT on the german Autobahn I regretted not having AFS on my 545iT. my new 325iT and 130i I ordered recenty will be both with AFS.

great featue with small learning curve.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i Mysticblue metallic Rosenholz Dakota Leather Active steering Sport suspension Sport seats Xenon light 124 wheels Wood trim

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='215346' date='Dec 24 2005, 05:36 PM
I notice a lot of (particularly US) cars seem to have specced the Active Steering

I seem to recall that in almost every UK roadtest they have slated the Active Steering and recommended to avoid it (the standard complaint along with run flats!).
I don't have it - and none of the cars I have driven had it - so can't verify their view.

So is it money well spent or diluting the driver experience ?

I absolute love my AS!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550I Manual White/Black 6Speed Sport

Active Steering is a complete convenience option. When pivoting your car during parking or low speed manuvers, steering is a breeze. The drive is not required to turn the wheel as much as he/she would if car did not have Active Steering. Also at hire speeds, the steering feels as though it tightens up and adjusts with the drivers input.

For every convenience is a trade-off. A vehicle with Active Steering seems to be less responsive. What I mean by this is the steering is computer assisted and does take away from the drivers feel of the road. I do live in the the city of Chicago, and do appreciate the Active Steering, especially when parallel parking or parking at The Hancock, Marina City, or any other parking garage that you need to drive up in circles 5 stories until you even see a parking space.

Suggestion...

Go to a dealer that has a car equiped with the active Steering and request a Test Drive. Please post your feedback afterward.

-J
Old 12-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='215647' date='Dec 26 2005, 06:56 AM
Well that stirred up a bit of debate !

Some love it, some hate it seems to be the conclusion (with perhaps "its better than it used to be due to software improvements")

Thanks everybody for your thoughts
You are very welcome. But, you forgot the, perhaps only me, some don't notice AS and, thus, are indifferent to it group.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Justgold18' post='215665' date='Dec 26 2005, 07:01 AM
Active Steering is a complete convenience option. When pivoting your car during parking or low speed manuvers, steering is a breeze. The drive is not required to turn the wheel as much as he/she would if car did not have Active Steering. Also at hire speeds, the steering feels as though it tightens up and adjusts with the drivers input.

For every convenience is a trade-off. A vehicle with Active Steering seems to be less responsive. What I mean by this is the steering is computer assisted and does take away from the drivers feel of the road. I do live in the the city of Chicago, and do appreciate the Active Steering, especially when parallel parking or parking at The Hancock, Marina City, or any other parking garage that you need to drive up in circles 5 stories until you even see a parking space.

Suggestion...

Go to a dealer that has a car equiped with the active Steering and request a Test Drive. Please post your feedback afterward.

-J
I actually find the reverse. To me, the key benefit of AS is increased responsiveness. The added convenience at low speed is a bonus, but I think it does feel more responsive than the non-AS system. Agree with you on the test drive point.

Quick Reply: Active Steering