E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active roll stabilization?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have so much confidence in the car, that now I worry about driving a rental, or a company car, and can't be certain if the handling is up to the driving style I developed in the E60 w sports suspension. I drove a bunch of other BMW's at the Performance Center and all (except the X's) handled very well on the course. All my previous non-BMW cars could never take the curves like these cars as a group (I went through tires rapidly). I am most amazed at the grip and handling in the wet.
THE reason I bought the E60 was first, I fit comfortably in it compared to other cars and second, no roll on cornering because of the wonderful suspension.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='197791
I've had AS countersteer activate on 3 occasions:

1. Just needed to see how it worked.
2. Was a little "off line" on my favorite off-ramp and hit a few little bumps and the back end came out a bit. It corrected a little before I was going to but the whole process was natural and never did I feel that the car was driving me. I was very impressed.
3. Short version: lots of sand on the apex. Kept the shiny side up!
I haven't tried my limits yet and sorry for surfacing this thread again. But...

How will I know when the AS is contersteering? Will I feel it?
[/quote]

You'll feel it. Not in the steering wheel - but the car will "come back" to you.

As a note, My car is in for service again. This time they replaced a module that is part of the ARS. When I got the fault (and ASR was not functioning) the car would lean considerably in the corners. Straight line stability suffered as well. It's one of those things that you don't think about once you get used to it - until it's gone.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='171131' date='Sep 16 2005, 01:48 AM
I've had AS countersteer activate on 3 occasions:

1. Just needed to see how it worked.
2. Was a little "off line" on my favorite off-ramp and hit a few little bumps and the back end came out a bit. It corrected a little before I was going to but the whole process was natural and never did I feel that the car was driving me. I was very impressed.
3. Short version: lots of sand on the apex. Kept the shiny side up!
Realityman,

How did you conduct situation #1. I would like to know that it works and get a feel for it. What should I do to safely try it?

12V Guy..
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Yes, I am interested in this too...
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 12vguy' post='198427
As a note, My car is in for service again. This time they replaced a module that is part of the ARS. When I got the fault (and ASR was not functioning) the car would lean considerably in the corners. Straight line stability suffered as well. It's one of those things that you don't think about once you get used to it - until it's gone.
Wait again? so you had problems with ARS before? This is your second time?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Realityman,

How did you conduct situation #1. I would like to know that it works and get a feel for it. What should I do to safely try it?

Hummm Knowing realtyman... you really dont want to know!
You 'aint kidding!

Theoretically, find a safe place, preferably a track or autocross course - if not then a large (and familiar) parking lot after hours or an on/off ramp that you know very well and know to be reasonably safe and early-apex-it along with some heavy right pedal (remember to turn off DTC) and get the back end to come out of line. Active Steering will start dialing some opposite lock probably before you will. If you are not familiar with the "limit" of your car, do it gradually. Eventually you'll get it. With ARS and those big fat tires the car will hang on to the limit (which is pretty high for a car of its weight) then will pretty much just let go. If you're not expecting it, it'll bite you in the ass. Remember, I said theoretically!

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='198410' date='Nov 14 2005, 09:17 PM
Wait again? so you had problems with ARS before? This is your second time?
[/quote]

This is my 1st ARS (active roll stabilization/dynamic drive) issue. I've been through 2 steering racks (active steering) prior.
It was indicated that a faulty SZL module (whatever-the-hell-that-is? part # 61-31-6-962-939 switch) was the issue this time and it was replaced.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah so you mean you went in before with the problem but this is the second time going in, first time getting somthing replaced...

Oh so no SMG problems but AS and ARS problems... greeeeeeeeeat... just what I wanted to hear... NOT!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributors

"knock on wood" No SMG problems at all (and 19.1 shifts quicker - at least in Sport mode). Yes, a few AS & ARS issues to date.

I love the car (still) but let me say that I don't want to be owning one of thes once the warranty is out.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='199322' date='Nov 16 2005, 08:24 PM
"knock on wood" No SMG problems at all (and 19.1 shifts quicker - at least in Sport mode).

Really??? Now I want 19.1!!! Grrrr but I dont want it to introduce any other problems like Anti-Trap function or other junk...

Maybe I'll wait for Dec release of the CIP software... someone posted somewhere saying that by then ALL whatever "ALL" means will have Mp3 capability... I'm hoping its true for Bus Radio people too... *fingers crossed*
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Hmmm, I'll have to shut the window on my head tomorrow morning to see if the anti-trap malfunctions.

I haven't tried MP3 CD yet.

If I survive the anti-trap test, maybe I'll give MP3 a whirl.

Quick Reply: active roll stabilization?