E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active roll stabilization?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I think you missed my point. (By the way, I almost always turn off DTC and DSC so I have "better feel"). My point is that ARS keeps the car very flat but instead of gradually letting one know when the limit of adhesion is coming to an end it tends to just "let go". So without a lot of practice one may find themselves in a situation where the oversteer correction is needed (and possibly welcomed).
Old 09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 15 2005, 05:50 AM
I think you missed my point.? (By the way, I almost always turn off DTC and DSC so I have "better feel").? My point is that ARS keeps the car very flat but instead of gradually letting one know when the limit of adhesion is coming to an end it tends to just "let go".? So without a lot of practice one may find themselves in a situation where the oversteer correction is needed (and possibly welcomed).
[snapback]170870[/snapback]
Exactly right.
The way I see it, ARS takes your limit and bumps it up a few notches.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Also ARS adds a certain "comfort level" for the people in the back seat - the ride seems more comfortable during spirited driving.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Sep 14 2005, 05:47 PM
ARS keeps the car VERY flat in the corners let alone for a car of this size and weight.? It makes the car corner like it is much smaller and lighter.? Thank goodness for the large sticky tires.? The only downside to ARS is that until you learn the characteristics of your tires, "the limit" will kick you in the a$$ if you are not paying attention (read: practiced a lot) - that's when the oversteer correction of the Active Steering comes in to play... Uh, not that I've ever experienced it... I, uh.. just heard about it, I mean read about it in a magazine... yeah, that's it!
[snapback]170698[/snapback]
I think that when active steering counter steers for you, then it's even harder to feel or know the limit.

I've done a number of canyon runs in the e60 and when the back end comes out a bit, I don't even try to countersteer anymore, I just turn into the corner. I think this creates a bad habit, at least for me, as when I jump into another car and a situation arises, my initial reaction is not to countersteer.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've had AS countersteer activate on 3 occasions:

1. Just needed to see how it worked.
2. Was a little "off line" on my favorite off-ramp and hit a few little bumps and the back end came out a bit. It corrected a little before I was going to but the whole process was natural and never did I feel that the car was driving me. I was very impressed.
3. Short version: lots of sand on the apex. Kept the shiny side up!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Does Active steering still correct when you move to DSC limited?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Affirmative.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='171131' date='Sep 16 2005, 01:48 AM
I've had AS countersteer activate on 3 occasions:

1. Just needed to see how it worked.
2. Was a little "off line" on my favorite off-ramp and hit a few little bumps and the back end came out a bit. It corrected a little before I was going to but the whole process was natural and never did I feel that the car was driving me. I was very impressed.
3. Short version: lots of sand on the apex. Kept the shiny side up!
I haven't tried my limits yet and sorry for surfacing this thread again. But...

How will I know when the AS is contersteering? Will I feel it?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

i Think BMW for model year 2007, or the face lift model year 2008 should ARS as standard equipment like the E65/66 7 series models have it. No 5 series should be sold with out it. there are basically no disadvantages to it except it might be expensive to fix if and when it breaks. But if you buy a BMW you should be able and not have to worry about fixing or repairing this feature. I do agree the 5 series without ARS feels like another normal car ride, but ARS is a must in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='169668
ARS is what makes the E60 the best sports sedan choice over ANY other car out there in my opinion. It makes every turn feel like the road was banked no matter how flat it really is. You will be amazed at what kind of turns you can make without even slowing down. You'll have a blast.
To add to your statement....

It is even more noticeable when you come form NON -sport pkg. I had 3 bimmers w/o sport pkg.

I need to take very TIGHT corner to go to work. I remember on my previewed cars..feeling the curve..(some are too tight)

For some reason.....after I got my current car with sport pkg..i feel as if the roads dont have curves nor tight corners..it feel as if i am on a straight line. (i am not joking)

Quick Reply: active roll stabilization?