E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='878077' date='May 14 2009, 03:57 AM
Really? I have to try that one. I have never turned my AC off as I am perfectly happy with it always on. I don't worry about my starter, I am sure BMW has designed the car correctly.

Actually no they didn't, having the climate system default to "on" with no way to change it is a design flaw.
It's unnecessary and extremely annoying.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rik zeppelin' post='879312' date='May 15 2009, 09:54 AM
Actually no they didn't, having the climate system default to "on" with no way to change it is a design flaw.
It's unnecessary and extremely annoying.
My SA advised they are required to mandate "on" by our EPA for proper ventilation. Go figure. If this is true then it is not a design flaw. But my bathroom does not even have a mandatory "on" fan and therein lies a much greater risk of stale air...
Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='879896' date='May 15 2009, 10:34 PM
My SA advised they are required to mandate "on" by our EPA for proper ventilation. Go figure. If this is true then it is not a design flaw. But my bathroom does not even have a mandatory "on" fan and therein lies a much greater risk of stale air...

Good Lord these SA's really will say anything, won't they?
If this was true then all cars would be this way.
Lemme check....hmmm, nope.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Members

My guess would be BMW prefers not to be liable for customers dying as a result of noxious fumes entering the cabin having no wear to go. Same reason re-circulation settings aren't retained.

Originally Posted by Allen' post='878124' date='May 14 2009, 04:13 AM
I don't understand why a $60k luxury car doesn't let the driver decide if the fan is on/off upon startup...

Why in the world would it NOT be designed to retain the state that it was powered down with???
Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by newt' post='880801' date='May 17 2009, 01:28 AM
My guess would be BMW prefers not to be liable for customers dying as a result of noxious fumes entering the cabin having no wear to go. Same reason re-circulation settings aren't retained.
I think you are right, Newt. But why on earth would new car manufacturers make a car that put noxious fumes into the cabin that need to be evacuated by the driver in the first place? If the manufacturer is only trying to please the driver by removing stuffy air (not noxious fumes) then why not manufacture a car that has a loud song by Led Zeppelin play every time you start your car. That would please some of its drivers...This is, as you can see, a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line in forcing preferences onto your driver. I guess the market place calls the shots here.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by newt' post='880801' date='May 17 2009, 01:28 AM

"Our new state of the art climate control system is of such inferior quality and design that we had to lock the system in a permanent "on" state to avoid killing the occupants."

Whoa!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Members

All cars are capable of developing issues over time that can allow fumes to enter the cabin, be it through the firewall, trunk, loose seals, etc. Not to mention the noxious fumes that automobile components release over time, especially when exposed to the sun/heat. Even Rolls Royce/Bentley have the same kind of issues.

Originally Posted by rik zeppelin' post='881059' date='May 17 2009, 10:47 AM
"Our new state of the art climate control system is of such inferior quality and design that we had to lock the system in a permanent "on" state to avoid killing the occupants."

Whoa!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

There could be a million reasons behind "why" but seriously is it too much to ask to have the same setting when I start the car as when I turn it off? Seriously if the climate control is off as the last setting before I turn off the car, it should be "off" when I start it. geez.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - 2004 BMW 545i M Sport, Silver Grey, Auto, Remus Sports Muffler, BMC Air Filter. Previous - 2005 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Auto, BMC Air Filter.

My A/C is always off unless it's hot outside! it just makes the engine work harder for nothing and this auto-on fan also annoys the crap out of me but my brain now has a SOP for this.
I think it relates to cooling down the CPU/hardware for the iDrive computer, I've noticed when I'm running the heater it periodically blows cool air through the centre vents from time to time.
I think some of these BMW engineers need a good slap to the head :-)
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chris_545i' post='881731' date='May 18 2009, 01:39 AM
My A/C is always off unless it's hot outside! it just makes the engine work harder for nothing and this auto-on fan also annoys the crap out of me but my brain now has a SOP for this.
I think it relates to cooling down the CPU/hardware for the iDrive computer, I've noticed when I'm running the heater it periodically blows cool air through the centre vents from time to time.
I think some of these BMW engineers need a good slap to the head :-)

+1

Quick Reply: AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF