E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='878079' date='May 14 2009, 11:58 AM
Well, you shouldn't start a car with the AC on if it's really cold outside. -15 C is bad for the longivety of the compressor. And SAAB doesn't recomend you to use the AC below +13 degrees C (never understood this magic limit - hope they do!)
At least my previous Volvo knew what temperature it was outside and it adjusted the AC automatically so it didn't start compressor when temperature was below +5 degrees C. I would assume BMW would have at least as intelligent system as others, if not even more intelligent (my impression is that BMW AC with extended features seems to be much more intelligent than what Volvo had).
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='878082' date='May 14 2009, 11:01 AM
At least my previous Volvo knew what temperature it was outside and it adjusted the AC automatically so it didn't start compressor when temperature was below +5 degrees C.
... same with my Alfa 156 from 1998! Must be something with AC and Germans...
Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='878085' date='May 14 2009, 12:07 PM
... same with my Alfa 156 from 1998! Must be something with AC and Germans...
Are we sure it actually would start? It is in my opinion a little bit difficult to check as it seems to be quiet (compared to Chrysler I had years ago, BMW AC compressor is really quiet) and you don't hear when it is turning on. I remember reading something in the manual but I have to check it again. It would be really odd if BMW would allow it to work in the freezing conditions.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by newt' post='878019' date='May 14 2009, 01:33 AM
I guess I don't understand why people buying $60k luxury cars prefer to deal with stuffy air. Anyone?
I don't understand why a $60k luxury car doesn't let the driver decide if the fan is on/off upon startup...

Why in the world would it NOT be designed to retain the state that it was powered down with???
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='878108' date='May 14 2009, 12:11 PM
Are we sure it actually would start? It is in my opinion a little bit difficult to check as it seems to be quiet (compared to Chrysler I had years ago, BMW AC compressor is really quiet) and you don't hear when it is turning on. I remember reading something in the manual but I have to check it again. It would be really odd if BMW would allow it to work in the freezing conditions.
Honestly, I don't know. I buy in to your logic, though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by psam550' post='878048' date='May 14 2009, 01:12 AM
I like to turn off the radio and a/c before I turn off the motor, so when I start the car, I'm not starting it with the a/c and radio on-- easier on the starter. This car does not let me do that.
I think the worry about this went away in modern cars in much the same way as we used to drive with headlights on to avoid over-charging the battery on long trips.

The thing I do when starting my E60 is pause at each key click to let the electronics settle down before proceeding to the next click. The first click brings up the iDrive screen (for one) and the next click brings up the HVAC fan and warning lights (for another). Finally I engage the starter after the other things have settled down.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

It seems to remember every setting i throw at it, except for it being OFF.
It's been quite a hot week this week and i like to drive with my windows down at low speeds, so i had to hit OFF every single time i started the car.

However, i don't like driving with the A/C on (i wear contacts, and it dries my eyes quickly), but it seems to remember that setting. (Fans on, A/C off)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='878075' date='May 14 2009, 01:54 AM
... is this one of those amazing regional settings? 'cause if I switch the AC off, the car will start with the AC off...
If you re-start within a relatively short period of time, say minutes, it will retain your last settings. Overnight-- fan on (and maybe A/C, too). My SA told me that it was designed to always be on at start up because the HVAC system in these cars tends to get stale or musty. Whatever. It's quirky (or should I say, over-engineered).
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

off the top of my head i turn key 1 or 2 click and turn AC Off ...My AC smells like a wet rag i know i have mine set off when i turn car on
Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by newt' post='878019' date='May 14 2009, 01:33 AM
I guess I don't understand why people buying $60k luxury cars prefer to deal with stuffy air. Anyone?
1. I don't like the government (EPA) telling me I can't turn off my fan when I paid $65,000 for the car.
2. I don't like moving air blowing agaisnt me while I am in a car.
3. I love stuffy air- can't get enough of it here in beautiful Colorado.

Quick Reply: AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF