E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

7,000 Mile Impressions (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Oct 20 2004, 06:41 PM
Wolverine:

Great write-up, just one question though . . .

Timing is everything and I just happen to be having the short-throw shifter installed tomorrow.? Can you give me any detail as to why or how noice gets into the car because of it?? Are there any solutions that you can think of?? Thanks.
[snapback]47342[/snapback]
I couldn't figure it out. I took the car in 4 times to one dealer, and once to another, and finally the original dealer replaced the short shifter with the original, and no more noise. There was a lot of transmission noise being transmitted into the cabin, and there was a 'rattling' noise when you pushed the clutch in quickly that you could hear from outside the car. I'm sending the unit back to UUC and I'll report on what they find.

I would listen very carefully to see if the noise increases in the cabin. Then try the following test:

1. Put the car in reverse, and let the clutch out gently to get the car rolling.

2. Push the clutch in quickly.

With the UUC shifter there was a godawful rattle that people could hear standing outside the car. With the original shifter there will still be a rattle, but it is much softer and sounds damped. I just couldn't tolerate the additional noise in the cabin, and the increased 'rattle' when depressing the clutch quickly at low speeds.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Wolverine:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to show my installer this thread and go ahead with the short-throw (and the CDV) today. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:32 PM
You might want to add some convex mirrors to your outside mirrors for those quick lane changes.
[snapback]47188[/snapback]
Jimbo, no need for the convex mirrors if you swing the mirrors out correctly. Most of us set the mirrors so when we are centered behind the wheel we can barely see the edge of our paint. A better system is to set the driver's side the same way, but with your head position in contact with the driver's door window (knowing you, the one-time smudge will get wiped away pronto). The other side can be set with your head centered behind the inside rearview mirror. Then adjust the inside mirror to overlap. Set the memory and you are ready for some quick lane changes. This method will eliminate the blind spot on both sides of the car.

Takes a week or two to really get your confidence in the system, but once you do, you will hate the service people who set them back to conventional settings when squiring your car around the dealership.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Wolverine:

I just got in after picking my car up earlier this afternoon with the CDV and short-throw shifter installed. The CDV made a huge difference. I'm a bit disappointed with the short-throw as it improves the shift action, but not quite as much as I had hoped for.

I showed your post to my installer. He believes that your noise and vibration issue relates to a large aluminium bushing that comes with the UUC unit. Instead of using the UUC part, he reused the plastic bushing from the stock shift. We both tried and failed to reproduce your noise and vibration issue, so the plastic unit appears to have worked.

I'm not particulary technical and can't give much more detail, but if you'd like more information, e-mail me and I'll give you the name and number of my installer.

GO SOX!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 21 2004, 06:32 AM
Takes a week or two to really get your confidence in the system, but once you do, you will hate the service people who set them back to conventional settings when squiring your car around the dealership.
[snapback]47525[/snapback]

I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 22 2004, 01:24 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Oct 21 2004, 06:32 AM']Takes a week or two to really get your confidence in the system, but once you do, you will hate the service people who set them back to conventional settings when squiring your car around the dealership.
[snapback]47525[/snapback]

I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the info.
[snapback]47812[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is really great. Once you get used to it, you'll know that you can rely on what you (don't) see.

Test it by setting them as described, and then on the highway, watch as cars pass you, or you pass them. They get handed off with a little overlap from inside rearview mirror, then to the outside rearview, and then by the time you lose them in the outside mirror, they're alongside and you should have them in your peripheral vision. This "test" will get you comfortable and show you that you have them set correctly. (The "overlap" between inside and outside should be tested on a passing passenger car -- all semis overlap a lot.)
Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 AM
JDN
Contributors

For anyone who is a driver and wants to get the most out of the experience with his Bimmer, this is the way the mirrors should be set. It bothers me to see these folks barreling down the freeway at 80 mph while rubbernecking to the rear to see if changing lanes is safe.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with JDN -- I've had my mirrors set this way since the late '80s and it really is better.

JDN, as far as the service people moving the mirrors, it doesn't bother me a bit. You do have them set in memory, don't you?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:16 AM
JDN
Contributors

I do, Rudy, and it is a minor bother, but still a peeve. At my age I figger I'm due a few.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'd rather have the guys at the dealership move the mirrors where they need them to safely move my car. They often have to navigate some pretty tight spaces in and around the shop so it's fine by me that they move the mirrors.

They usually move the seat too. The first thing I do is push my memory button to set things back to normal...

(BTW, I agree that you're "due a few." Enjoy them all! )