E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i vs. M5

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='790938' date='Feb 11 2009, 08:41 PM
A Lamborghini Murcielago does.....
+1 but for me it would be a Saleen S7..
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cattman' post='791198' date='Feb 12 2009, 07:02 AM
Many thanks for all the solid advice.

While my wife loves my 911C2S (moded to nearly 400hp), I agree that she would probably not like driving an M5 every day. The roughness of it might get old to her, hauling our son around. It would of course be my first choice for our family car. My dream garage is my 911 next to an M5.

The gas mileage thing would be annoying in an M5, both due to the add'l cost but mostly the inconvenience of having to constantly have to refuel.

I don't agree that the M5 is a racecar, though. It's a scary capable car, but it can't approach true supercars. My Carrera S will out handle it, out maneuver it, out brake it, and walk it in a line. I will now brace myself for the inevitable backlash!

That said, the M5 is a beast- and I wish I could get my wife to go for it. Looks like we're headed for yet another 550. Not that I'm sad about that, but I really was hoping she'd step up to the beast.
CATTMAN

I can probably chime in, since my wife drives a ~600hp 911TT and a ~560hp M5, and she has child seats in both. The M5 is a much better all-around vehicle in terms of capabilities as well as comforts. The Porker is still a faster car when the road gets twisty, but otherwise, the M5 is a better tool for the job. The 911 is also much better in terms of gas economy, averaging 17mpg vs 11mpg.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by cattman' post='790630' date='Feb 11 2009, 05:02 PM
It seems the new 550i is closing the gap against the M5 in many ways. Of course it's NOT an M5 by any stretch, in terms of straightline acceleration, handling, etc. I certainly know that.

My question is: how much of a difference is there? My wife is about to get a new 550i, and I wanted her to get a 1 year old M5 with 5k miles for the same price.
CATTMAN
1 year older, same price, only 5k miles- The cars are not close in accelation, handling, sound, looks and the M5's SMG is something special. I wouldn't even think a minute.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='791228' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:42 AM
Yep, I'm sure your car will manhandle my M5, especially on the track.

Wonder how the two car would fair on a high speed run though.

On that note, it's funny how people will always come up with an excuse to substantiate why their car might not do well in a certain race but will win in another. Like when you talk to M owners about AMG cars and straight line racing, they'll say "but my M will beat the AMG in the corners". I'm sure they wouldn't say that if they were up against a Porsche like yours. But they will probably say what I just said above, "my M will take the Porsche on the high end".
The high speed runs would result about the same top speeds because of the speed limiters, but for the same price, one year older and 5k miles you can't say you wouldn't get the M5
Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='791709' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:00 PM
The high speed runs would result about the same top speeds because of the speed limiters, but for the same price, one year older and 5k miles you can't say you wouldn't get the M5
My speed limiter has been moved to 200 by the RDSport software and I don't think Cattman's Porsche is restricted either.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Correct, I have no top speed limit on my 911. The ECU tuning did away with that.
This has been informative. And not contentious at all, which is really nice. I was prepared to get slammed! I am also a member on 6speedonline.com, where I started a similar thread in the 997 forum. Over there, the members (mostly Porsche owners) have said the same things you all here have.

Sounds like it's basically unanimous that a 911 will outhandle an M5 in curves, which is no shock given it's lower center of gravity, lower weight, and overall smaller size. Most agree that stock M5's (and most BMW's) experience brake fade, and understeer. Most agree the Porsche suspension is superior, too.

However, I actually think an M5 could beat mine to 60mph. The reason is simple: I've got a 6 speed manual with a race clutch. I'd have to get a PERFECT start, and shift extremely quickly at exactly the right time (only 1 shift needed to get to 60mph- which I can achieve in 2nd gear) to do what the M5 SMG with "launch" does all on it's own, time after time. Granted, if I nail it, drop the clutch, I could do pull ahead off the line, but I think generally the M5 would be easier (less room for human error). Again, with SMG, it's pretty error-free, just slam the gas pedal.

The new '09 997S (with the new PDK transmission) has 385hp stock, and does 0-62mph in 4.3 seconds. While mine is a manual it is heavily modified, so I think I should be able to best 4.3. What is the M5 stock rated at?
CATTMAN
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cattman' post='791198' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:02 AM
I don't agree that the M5 is a racecar, though. It's a scary capable car, but it can't approach true supercars. My Carrera S will out handle it, out maneuver it, out brake it, and walk it in a line. I will now brace myself for the inevitable backlash!
The show Top Gear tested both the Carrera S and the M5 on their track. Amazingly, they had the same lap time! Look at #54 and #55
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

The M5 and the Carrera also beat the Ferrari 575 Maranello, Corvette C6, Aston Martin Vanquish and the Aston Martin DB9
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='791769' date='Feb 12 2009, 07:22 PM
The show Top Gear tested both the Carrera S and the M5 on their track. Amazingly, they had the same lap time! Look at #54 and #55
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

The M5 and the Carrera also beat the Ferrari 575 Maranello, Corvette C6, Aston Martin Vanquish and the Aston Martin DB9
I don't know about the conditions for the M5 lap around the TG test track but I do have the footage for the 997 S lap, and it was done in the wet (and it was very wet!).
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by cattman' post='791762' date='Feb 12 2009, 07:13 PM
Correct, I have no top speed limit on my 911. The ECU tuning did away with that.
This has been informative. And not contentious at all, which is really nice. I was prepared to get slammed! I am also a member on 6speedonline.com, where I started a similar thread in the 997 forum. Over there, the members (mostly Porsche owners) have said the same things you all here have.

Sounds like it's basically unanimous that a 911 will outhandle an M5 in curves, which is no shock given it's lower center of gravity, lower weight, and overall smaller size. Most agree that stock M5's (and most BMW's) experience brake fade, and understeer. Most agree the Porsche suspension is superior, too.

However, I actually think an M5 could beat mine to 60mph. The reason is simple: I've got a 6 speed manual with a race clutch. I'd have to get a PERFECT start, and shift extremely quickly at exactly the right time (only 1 shift needed to get to 60mph- which I can achieve in 2nd gear) to do what the M5 SMG with "launch" does all on it's own, time after time. Granted, if I nail it, drop the clutch, I could do pull ahead off the line, but I think generally the M5 would be easier (less room for human error). Again, with SMG, it's pretty error-free, just slam the gas pedal.

The new '09 997S (with the new PDK transmission) has 385hp stock, and does 0-62mph in 4.3 seconds. While mine is a manual it is heavily modified, so I think I should be able to best 4.3. What is the M5 stock rated at?
CATTMAN
The lowest 0-60 time I saw for an M5 is 4.1 but I forgot if that was with the European Launch Control. The US has a crippled version of LC. That said, I think it would take a very skilled driver with lots of practice to get that good of a time.

As much as I'd love to think an M5 can match the lap time of a Carrera S, I'm very skeptical about it also. On the other hand, I do think I'd have a pretty good chance if I did a rolling start against the 911 from say 50mph to 170mph.

This is getting me more curious. Steve, let's go for a run with your Cab. I know your car is heavier than the standard C2S and my car is modded but it'd be fun just to see how we do against each other.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='791805' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:00 PM
The lowest 0-60 time I saw for an M5 is 4.1 but I forgot if that was with the European Launch Control. The US has a crippled version of LC. That said, I think it would take a very skilled driver with lots of practice to get that good of a time.

As much as I'd love to think an M5 can match the lap time of a Carrera S, I'm very skeptical about it also. On the other hand, I do think I'd have a pretty good chance if I did a rolling start against the 911 from say 50mph to 170mph.

This is getting me more curious. Steve, let's go for a run with your Cab. I know your car is heavier than the standard C2S and my car is modded but it'd be fun just to see how we do against each other.
I'm still in the break in period!!! And more to the point I can't launch a manual for sh!t!!!!

Quick Reply: 550i vs. M5