E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i versus 535

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to thank all (well, most) for the very informative and professional posts. This is, without a doubt, the best forum I have been associated with, in terms of courtesy and knowledge. I just returned from a trip to California and had the opportunity to drive both the 535 sport and the 550 sport. I have had a Z8, M5, Jag XKR, Porche 997s and have to say, I was blown away by the twin-turbo V6 in the 535. The lighter weight also made the vehicle seem very nimble in the twisty roads. While I still have not made a final decision as of yet, both cars seem surprisingly comparable to one another. The only thing that may sway my choice to the 550 is the fact that you can get neither carbon black nor the M aero kit with the 535. Other than that, unless I suffer from the "badge" affliction I have seen referred to in a couple of posts, there does not seem to be an appreciable difference between the two cars. I don't quite care what badge is on the car (my therapist has helped me overcome those insecurities ), I just want a car that performs and runs when it's supposed to (don't even ask me about my M5). IMO I do not think it is a mistake to go with either one of these cars.

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='433666' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:19 PM
What is a bit of performance and how can you judge the quantity of it, yes i drove the 545 and 550 definitly has more power. For what it's worth, I did not buy the car for the name or the badge but for the performance. It was the best car in the market to replace my old 2003 C4S and has 4 doors.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by azatty' post='433704' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:43 PM
I have had a Z8, M5, Jag XKR, Porche 997s and have to say, I was blown away by the twin-turbo V6 in the 535.
You've had all those cars and you're telling me you like the twin turbo V6 in the 535? One thing the irks me is people not knowing BMW engines.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by azatty' post='433704' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:43 PM
I would like to thank all (well, most) for the very informative and professional posts. This is, without a doubt, the best forum I have been associated with, in terms of courtesy and knowledge. I just returned from a trip to California and had the opportunity to drive both the 535 sport and the 550 sport. I have had a Z8, M5, Jag XKR, Porche 997s and have to say, I was blown away by the twin-turbo V6 in the 535. The lighter weight also made the vehicle seem very nimble in the twisty roads. While I still have not made a final decision as of yet, both cars seem surprisingly comparable to one another. The only thing that may sway my choice to the 550 is the fact that you can get neither carbon black nor the M aero kit with the 535. Other than that, unless I suffer from the "badge" affliction I have seen referred to in a couple of posts, there does not seem to be an appreciable difference between the two cars. I don't quite care what badge is on the car (my therapist has helped me overcome those insecurities ), I just want a car that performs and runs when it's supposed to (don't even ask me about my M5). IMO I do not think it is a mistake to go with either one of these cars.

Damn-after a Z8, M5 and 997-I woudlnt think either car would have felt good in any appreciable way-I mean not even in the same league as the other cars you own or have owned-what happened to all those other cars you listed and why such a drop in class? Not that it is my business but I have always found it hard to go backwards in lifestyle-life is relative ya know

Anyway thanks for the input
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='433642' date='Jun 8 2007, 05:41 PM
But if your gonna not track it-what the hell do you need M-suspension for people-give me a break.
Give me a break. Why the hell do I need it? so I can take turns at a higher speed and on and off ramps faster. Show those Japanese cars a thing or two. Go on canyon drives and be able to hang with P-Cars.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='433710' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:15 PM
Give me a break. Why the hell do I need it? so I can take turns at a higher speed and on and off ramps faster. Show those Japanese cars a thing or two. Go on canyon drives and be able to hang with P-Cars.
HAHA ok bro-you go take your m-suspension and tear up those on and off ramps hahaha I cant do a laughing icon for some reason here or Id post a 100-that is the dumbest thing I have EVER heard on this forum-and the sad thing is you are serious-tear it up man-light up those left hand advance arrow turns and 30mph right handers around the block and then BLOW by everyone on the 10 degree on-ramp turn as your car claws and grips to the ground HA HA

You are a joke
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Oh ya and I am pretty sure the OP knows the bmw engines considering he has owned 11-I think more people would be irked by a guy wanting M-suspension to take on the on ramps-oh ya sorry and the offramps-those can be a killer without that race suspension set-up- Good luck with that -just dont go pin yourself into the barrier taking all those ramps on. HA
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='433713' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:18 PM
HAHA ok bro-you go take your m-suspension and tear up those on and off ramps hahaha I cant do a laughing icon for some reason here or Id post a 100-that is the dumbest thing I have EVER heard on this forum-and the sad thing is you are serious-tear it up man-light up those left hand advance arrow turns and 30mph right handers around the block and then BLOW by everyone on the 10 degree on-ramp turn as your car claws and grips to the ground HA HA

You are a joke

HAHAHAHHAHAH YOU'RE the joke!!! You *&^#($@ loser.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='433666' date='Jun 8 2007, 06:19 PM
What is a bit of performance and how can you judge the quantity of it, yes i drove the 545 and 550 definitly has more power. For what it's worth, I did not buy the car for the name or the badge but for the performance. It was the best car in the market to replace my old 2003 C4S and has 4 doors.

I promise if you blindfolded you-that you would not be able to tell a differene of 30 horses when you are talking 330 v 360 AND If I remember correctly the 545 ahd slightly favorable gearing to boot so you realllly wouldnt tell a diff-but whateva you say my non-friend
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='433718' date='Jun 8 2007, 11:23 PM
I promise if you blindfolded you-that you would not be able to tell a differene of 30 horses when you are talking 330 v 360 AND If I remember correctly the 545 ahd slightly favorable gearing to boot so you realllly wouldnt tell a diff-but whateva you say my non-friend
Folks, guys, gals, boys and girls, engine size signifies your penis size . . . having said that, it doesn't guarantee you as a great lover. I've said this before and I'll say it again, engine size is your penis size.

It's all in the mind. A romping exhaust sound makes others think your car is powerful when in fact exhaust doesn't do a whole lot of performance gain. Look at those rice boats. A badge in the back of someone's car tells the potential hunter, "Don't mess with me, cause I got a big penis too, and I might have other driving skills that might just steal your girlfriend's heart (or your ego)."

So folk, in the end (hopefully this ends the posting), get a 5er in any size, which ever makes you happy.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

everyone has their seat of the pants feel when driving a car. as for suspension, who wouldn't want to tear up turns if they could with the right equipment when the coast is clear and it's safe. that's an enthusiast. that's the feeling of aggressive, and in its own way "safe", driving. i didnt drop my car just for looks. i wanted less body roll, more control in turns, and less dipping and nose diving during accelerating and braking. especially after going to a meet in san luis obispo last year, which was such a good time, i loved it. other than meeting great people with the same interest in the e60s, like a family, the spirited drive was just awesome, tearing up those back country roads (safely of course, but spiritedly). i found out how the car really handles and i loved it, just as everyone else there did, and everyone else who drives spiritedly from time to time through not only straight-line highways, but through twisties and what not.

let's all enjoy our times on these forums guys, and at the same time, make it enjoyable for others.

Quick Reply: 550i versus 535