E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Owners: COMMENT HERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='264127' date='Apr 3 2006, 02:24 PM
Well, how can you compare 3.5 and 4.4 liter cars? Of course 545/550 will kill 350Z!
Agreed, but 350Z is no slouch and you better know how to drive the v8, too.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

My 550i is my third BMW. I had an 01 530 and an 03 M3 with SMG11 previously. What stands out about the e60 550 is how smooth, quite, and comfortable a car this is.

I don't think it is quite as fast as my M3 was, but it is not much slower. And it has so much more torque! I chose Steptronic for resale value and the fact that I need my wife to drive this car on occasion. She would never drive the M3 with SMG. The Steptronic does take a little of the fun out of the equation, but then it makes life easier as well. With SMG11 it took effort and practice to drive smoothly. And the automatic mode of the SMG is only suitable for times when you are eating or on the phone, etc.

The best thing I've done with my 550 is ditch the runflats. With my Michelin PS2's I really feel confident and connected to the road; the runflats made the steering feel loose and I felt a little disconnected.

Overall I am very pleased with my car. I love silver after caring for black for 3 years, and I'm looking forward to a long road trip down the coast to visit my brother in California in a week and a half.

550i Owners: COMMENT HERE-img_1620_1.jpg
Old 04-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Hey Darkside....thanks for the input....with a 550 on order I love reading posts like yours!! I must confess, though, I keep hearing about the runflats making the driving experience less than desireable. I had thought that BMW ditched the Dunlops, and had a different RF that was smoother, and quieter.....but you seem to think otherwise if you had to replace your tires so fast (didn't you just take delivery recently?)

Whereabouts in California are you driving to? I hope the weather clears up for you....we seem to be emulating the Pacific Northwest lately...can't get rid of the rain!!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 silver grey metallic, black interior 550i with sports package, premium sound, cold, HUD, comfort seats, rear and side shades, navigation, satellite radio, comfort access

I just got my 550 a month ago. I love everything about the car until 4 days ago when the fuel injector went out. I was so upset. How can a car with only 600 miles be in the shop already. Otherwise, I love the power and the options: HUD, comfort access, comfort seats, Navi, active steering.
By the way, anyone else had the same problem with the faulty fuel injector?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Members

The only negative qualities about the car is the runflats, I have the Bridgestones and they suck. I have the M5 wheels coming and will put PS2s on them.

Runflats make the car bounce like a basketball over short stretches of bumps and causes the car to feel jittery.

Engine, steering and electronic goodies make the 550 a dream car to drive.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='264902' date='Apr 5 2006, 08:42 AM
Hey Darkside....thanks for the input....with a 550 on order I love reading posts like yours!! I must confess, though, I keep hearing about the runflats making the driving experience less than desireable. I had thought that BMW ditched the Dunlops, and had a different RF that was smoother, and quieter.....but you seem to think otherwise if you had to replace your tires so fast (didn't you just take delivery recently?)

Whereabouts in California are you driving to? I hope the weather clears up for you....we seem to be emulating the Pacific Northwest lately...can't get rid of the rain!!
I'm driving to Fairfield.

I changed wheels partly for aesthetic reasons - I felt the 18" were too small, and was elated when I drove the car with the Michelin's. It was night and day. Felt much more connected to the road and more of the confidence I had in my M3. It is not that the car is bad with the runflats, it is just that it feels so much more BMW-like without them. And I have a spare so I see no reason to have runflats in the first place.

By the way, I felt the new 3 series felt better with the runflats. But I'm sure there is a reason they do not put runflats on M-cars, and I think it is the handling dynamics.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by darkside' post='265192' date='Apr 5 2006, 03:05 PM
I'm driving to Fairfield.

I changed wheels partly for aesthetic reasons - I felt the 18" were too small, and was elated when I drove the car with the Michelin's. It was night and day. Felt much more connected to the road and more of the confidence I had in my M3. It is not that the car is bad with the runflats, it is just that it feels so much more BMW-like without them. And I have a spare so I see no reason to have runflats in the first place.

By the way, I felt the new 3 series felt better with the runflats. But I'm sure there is a reason they do not put runflats on M-cars, and I think it is the handling dynamics.
well, I guess I'll just wait and drive on them a bit....I hate that you spend all that money for the car/sport pack only to have it degraded by poor tires. I'm not sure I have read a positive thing about the RFs since they appeared on the E60s, and yet.....they're still putting them on!!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Ordered 550i ED on 9/24/05. Titanium silver, priority one seating (black), steptronic, sports package, premium sound system, active steering, comfort access, power rear sunshades, navigation, head up display, rear door air bag

[quote name='darkside' date='Apr 5 2006, 09:03 AM' post='264888']
My 550i is my third BMW. I had an 01 530 and an 03 M3 with SMG11 previously. What stands out about the e60 550 is how smooth, quite, and comfortable a car this is.

I don't think it is quite as fast as my M3 was, but it is not much slower. And it has so much more torque! I chose Steptronic for resale value and the fact that I need my wife to drive this car on occasion. She would never drive the M3 with SMG. The Steptronic does take a little of the fun out of the equation, but then it makes life easier as well. With SMG11 it took effort and practice to drive smoothly. And the automatic mode of the SMG is only suitable for times when you are eating or on the phone, etc.

The best thing I've done with my 550 is ditch the runflats. With my Michelin PS2's I really feel confident and connected to the road; the runflats made the steering feel loose and I felt a little disconnected.

Overall I am very pleased with my car. I love silver after caring for black for 3 years, and I'm looking forward to a long road trip down the coast to visit my brother in California in a week and a half.

Hey darkside -- I love the silver as well. I just crossed 4000 miles on my 550. Words are inadequate to describe the joy I feel driving my baby Angie (cars this good need a name). Maybe a manual transmission or SMG would be more fun for those people who feel they need to extract all the performance possible from this 4.8 liter engine. I am perfectly content with the Steptronic. Despite the high cost, I am glad I chose to get the Nav and HUD -- they are cool and add an element of safety. Angie takes real good care of me when I move around in places I have never been before. I have averaged 18 mpg for the last few tankfuls -- I could do much better but Angie likes it when I reach 100+ mph. Comfort access is cool and I love it but it is decorative, not really important. Fancy rims or M-sport features are not for me. But I could not live without the Logic 7 sound system. I have Bridgestone runflats but I have nothing to compare them against. I just know the stick to the road with my sports suspension. You only live once -- live it without regrets.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

have 550 with now about 3,000 miles.
you can see what I have below. Pretty loaded with the exception of heads up and rear shade.

must haves sports package, premium sound

wish I would have gotten the mAero kit, I am now getting it and it will be painful departing from the car.

The SMG takes some getting used to, but it is so much fun !
The torque at the low end of the band as well as the 5-6k RPMS is incredible.

car is just a blast to drive, and I am not sure what the deal is with runflat noise. It is not bad.

kills so far: MB C500, a couple of Infinity M45s and a infinity G35