E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i Owners: COMMENT HERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by robcol' post='264077' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:07 PM
Sport mode is ok for me, but it jerks my now 20wk impregnated wife.
Congratulations! Now that I think about it, I got my wife pregnant within a few months of getting my 545. Absolutely no connection; but it's a happy coincidence....
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by robcol' post='264077' date='Apr 3 2006, 11:07 AM
<_< I'm going from Hattiesburg to Atlanta later this week in mine. So far I love it. It has all the options except HUD and M-Aero. I opted for the SMG after driving the M5 and falling in love with it. Manual would be my only other choice. I absolutely would not change a thing. I opted also for comfort seats and comfort access. Both of these are just FINE. I have 2400 miles on it and have not really taken it past 4500 or so RPM, but after having a C36, a 405 hp Z06, a modified 944T and access to ZR-1 I can tell you this thing flies. I bet it turns out 13.5 qtr times. Anyway, I would not have changed a thing. My only disapointment is the two settings on SMG instead of the 18 or so settings for SMG on M5. I would like to have had this fine tune of the shift pattern. Non-sport mode is just a little soft to me. Sport mode is ok for me, but it jerks my now 20wk impregnated wife.
So you think the SMG in normal mode is too soft? Does it shift that slow? Which setting is it compared to on the M3 or M5 settings.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Members

i am proud owner of a 550 touring (not available in the US) with every option available on the pre-march 2006 model (exept tv) (as far as the options don't rule eachother out) + custom extended leather interior.
To me, believe it or not, the comfort acces is the big revelation.
but the two really must-haves are active frontsteer and dynamic drive.
the combo of the powerfull engine, the very agile steering and the car beiing totaly level in every corner, whilst beiing very comfortable on the straight, makes for a totaly new drivingexperience, one you will find in NO other car (this includes ALL the other BMW products, believe me, i drove the all)
there may be faster cars, there are no better...
remember, if you go for the SMG, you have to put the notion of a smooth drive aside: there was an ad in german carmagazine AMS the other day from a guy offering his almost new M6, nicknaming it "rocking chair"
So, unless this is your 3th or 4th car, used only for short strolls on a summer-sundays, without your family, take the wise choice, go for the steptronic.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I just can't wait for my 550i
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

i am interested to know what is the fuel economy on your 550.
~ ? L / 100 km ?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: First Vehicle: 2004 545I, Silver Gray Metallic Exterior with Gray Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer in Glove Box, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Seats, Fold-down Rear Seats, Professional Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Interior/Exterior Anti-dazzle Mirrors, Satellite Tuner Prep, Passport SR-1 Remote Radar Detector, Aux Stereo Input, Wood shift knob, XM Radio Second Vehicle: 2004 X5 4.8IS

Before I purchased my 545, I drove an M3 with SMG. I would highly recommend the SMG option but only if you are prepared to manually shift it pretty much all the time. It's clutch action off the line is always perfect and grabing the next gear is sooo easy. If you just hold the throttle steady, i.e. don't try and drive it like a stick (lifting-off the throttle while you engage the clutch) it's shifts are smooth as silk. I loved downshifting into the corners, again perfect everytime. In the automatic modes, the shifts are either too hard or have too much hesitation.

Anyway, when I trade up to a new 550 it will have SMG. Other options I really like are the HUD and sports package. I'd love to drive one of the new 550's since I have experience with the 4.8 in my wife's X5 4.8is. I can't imagine what that engine must be like in a vehicle weighing a few thousand pounds less.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i 2005 BMW 750li (wife) BMW K1200RS Motorcycle Harley Road King Motorcycle

I have to say that this may be the finest car I have driven. It's not the absolute fastest (my Z06 was a brute), or the most luxurious (my wife's 750li is hard to beat in this regard), but the 550 is a perfect combination of performance, comfort, and styling. The engine is amazing. Silky smooth, and just keeps pulling.

I would definitely get the sport package. I could do without the comfort access, but it's fine.

I am confident you will like this car.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Members

best car i have ever owned. Power at any time and even though i would love to get the m5 the economics for me are just not there. I love all the options listed in my info. My wife and i share the care equally and she can drive the steptronic in auto and in manual mode youll be suprised how fun it is to drive. Sure smg or full manual would be fun but considering you personal needs the steptronic is a great compromise
Old 04-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, olivine green, beige interior, SMG, cold weather package, Sport package, Comfort access, Comfort seating, adaptive steering, Navigation

I am getting about 23 MPG when averaging 80 mph in 6th gear. I agree with the statement, you can get quicker, but definitely its not much better (M5). I only drove the M5 for about 30 minutes and can't remember exact settings but the SMG on non-sport mode does have a palpable lag. Now that being said...if you drive at a normal acceleration, this is fine. If you get into throttle without sport, it still gets a very good shift under power, it's just not as tight as sport. I'l be honest, I pretty much drive everywhere in sport. I love to hear the computer double clutch and downshift. It's just an awesome car.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Best Features:
- M-sport package
- comfort seats
- active steering
- HK Logic 7

Wish I got: (but would have meant the waiting till Feb'06 instead of getting the car in Oct '05)
- nav
- hud

Most fun:
- launching with the DTC off
- watching the in mirror while someone tries to keep up with you on a twisty road

Quick Reply: 550i Owners: COMMENT HERE