E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 SMG Lugging/Stuttering when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I searched around but didn't find any posts with an issue like mine so I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone else's 5 with SMG stutter or seem to jerk back and forth when accellerating (slowly to moderately) when it is cold?

When I start off in the morning and I accelerate gently (pulling out of the driveway/neighborhood) the car jerks back and forth... quite a bit (quite disconcerting). It's almost like I'm taking my foot off the gas, and jabbing it back into the gas, rapidly over and over again. I moved my seat up pretty close to make sure I have even pressure on the pedal, but that didn't resolve anything.

This only happens for the first 15 minutes or so of driving (another reason why I don't think it's me causing it). When the shuttering/jerking starts, I can stop it by either manually shifting up to the next gear, or by taking my foot off the gas. Again, after the car warms up, this never happens again

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mtavel' post='255448' date='Mar 16 2006, 04:08 AM
Hey everyone. I searched around but didn't find any posts with an issue like mine so I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone else's 5 with SMG stutter or seem to jerk back and forth when accellerating (slowly to moderately) when it is cold?

When I start off in the morning and I accelerate gently (pulling out of the driveway/neighborhood) the car jerks back and forth... quite a bit (quite disconcerting). It's almost like I'm taking my foot off the gas, and jabbing it back into the gas, rapidly over and over again. I moved my seat up pretty close to make sure I have even pressure on the pedal, but that didn't resolve anything.

This only happens for the first 15 minutes or so of driving (another reason why I don't think it's me causing it). When the shuttering/jerking starts, I can stop it by either manually shifting up to the next gear, or by taking my foot off the gas. Again, after the car warms up, this never happens again

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Thanks in advance!
I surprised you didn't find anything about this I thought it was a common software problem on 550i's?

Look here CIP20 - Poor Idle quality after a cold start. N62TU engine.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply

I looked at the CIP 20 Update and it mentions a rough idle and pinging under light load (in the 550's N62tu). That didn't really describe the lugging/jerking motion I am seeing in the car when it is cold. Maybe it would be helpful if anyone that might have had this issue can say it disappared after CIP 20?

I'll definitely report this issue to the dealer to get the CIP 20 update and I'll report my results.

I would still like to know if anyone has seen this before and it was CIP version related. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mtavel' post='255582' date='Mar 16 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply

I looked at the CIP 20 Update and it mentions a rough idle and pinging under light load (in the 550's N62tu). That didn't really describe the lugging/jerking motion I am seeing in the car when it is cold. Maybe it would be helpful if anyone that might have had this issue can say it disappared after CIP 20?

I'll definitely report this issue to the dealer to get the CIP 20 update and I'll report my results.

I would still like to know if anyone has seen this before and it was CIP version related. Thanks!!
No problem - It sounds 'similar' to your issues but it could be something completely different! But as you say some 'dealer-ammo'!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

I got 20.x last week and I have noticed sluggish behavior on my car. Not just when it is cold.

Whenever I take my foot off the accelerator at slow speeds, the car kinda slows down and it feels that the transmission is slowing it down. The same feeling that you get when you upshift on a manual xmission.

Maybe this is a bonus feature on 20.x, eh?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I got this problem with my 2005 545i SMG. The car feels like a dinkey when its cold....it gets better after ~ 5 min or so on cold mornings.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='255790' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:39 PM
I got this problem with my 2004 545i SMG. The car feels like a dinkey when its cold....it gets better after ~ 5 min or so on cold mornings.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='255739' date='Mar 16 2006, 12:46 PM
I got 20.x last week and I have noticed sluggish behavior on my car. Not just when it is cold.

Whenever I take my foot off the accelerator at slow speeds, the car kinda slows down and it feels that the transmission is slowing it down. The same feeling that you get when you upshift on a manual xmission.

Maybe this is a bonus feature on 20.x, eh?
Oh man, this is going to sound like a dealer... but...

That is probably due to the fact that they did a full reset when they upgraded you. The transmission is "learning" your driving habits and right now it thinks maybe you are a crazy man and you like it to hold gears.

I know that mine did this when I got it and after about 300 miles it stopped doing it. I'm on CIP 19.x.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='255814' date='Mar 16 2006, 04:00 PM
Oh man, this is going to sound like a dealer... but...

That is probably due to the fact that they did a full reset when they upgraded you. The transmission is "learning" your driving habits and right now it thinks maybe you are a crazy man and you like it to hold gears.

I know that mine did this when I got it and after about 300 miles it stopped doing it. I'm on CIP 19.x.
I don't know if there is a 'learning' process on the e60s. I think I'll need to make an appointment if this doesn't go away in a couple of hundred miles. The car feels heavy at low speeds.

Will keep you posted.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Members

This sounds familar to what I'm experiencing with my 04' 545i SMG. It started about 1 month ago (I have 20K miles) and if feels like in the old days of manual transmission when the clutch on my e36 M3 use to "stutter". In the e60 its more noticable if you are starting on an incline or making a tight turn (right or left). Even my wife noticed this!!

But as expected I took the car into the dealer, they kept it for 4 days and told me everything checked out "ok" on the computer.....are mechanics relying soley on computer printouts to diagnose problems????

Its going back to the dealer as soon as I can make another appointment....its a good thing my lease is up in 6 months...I am hoping the 550's have a better track record than the first cut e60's.

Quick Reply: 550 SMG Lugging/Stuttering when cold