E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i vs. a Sporty Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='487406' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:43 AM
From what my brother says (he works in traffic management), bike riders tend to run from the police more often in the night than auto drivers. For whatever reason, he/she thinks he/she can get away from the cop chasing him/her not knowing that backups are already in front of him/her. In any case, those types of riders do make the general bike riders look back. :thumbsdown:

For one, I'd ride a bike if I can trust the person in the next lane. Unfortunately, I don't. Just because I can zoom away from most car in a heartbeat doesn't mean I want to instigate or provoke an auto driver, especially the one that drives a silver gray 545i in Houston.
hmmm......I wonder who that could be
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='487285' date='Oct 28 2007, 11:31 PM
Hey V-Tech your tag line gave you away I had an 2002 VFR (Interceptor) "V-tech" and had a blast on that bike!! Put 15K miles on her (no commute miles either) and really enjoyed that bike. It was sporty AND good for long distances too!!! I'd trade my CBR in a flash if Honda would increase the cc's to 1000 and ditch the v-tech...keep the rubber side down
Glad someone else here has experienced the Interceptor. It's such a great bike. I owned the first model out in 1983 for several years and after being out of riding for a while, now have the 6th generation as well (mine is a 2006).

Hey, let us know how your 535i is when you get it. Bet you can't wait.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='486976' date='Oct 28 2007, 01:37 AM
Hhahah your governor... thats nice... at least yours is set above 100. haha

I have a bike story but its not entertaining at all. I'll tell it anyways...

it was a while back... driving to work at 6 am... the freeway is pretty clear in some parts and in the left lane I come up to a bike... similar to yours.. a sporty bike but no Hayabusa... this guy was annoying me... he would slow to 50 then gun it to 80-90 like 3 times before I got tired of it... I never followed his acceleration runs... each time he guns it I would increase speed to my cruising 70 and then I'll catch up and he'll slow to 50 and do it again... I had no intention to play but I got annoyed after 3 blasts so the 4th time as he was slowing to 50 I downshifted to 4th waiting... once I found a clear 2nd lane I downed it to 3rd and gunned around him I heard his motor scream once I got along side of him but by then it was too late... my car was at peak acceleration and he had no chance... I out ran him with quite some distance and I got in front of him and settled down at 70 again... after that he just cruised behind me for the rest of the way.

Maybe he just wanted to see my acceleration? Who knows...

Motorcycle throttle & engine brakes are very sensitive. He doesn't need to gun it to do 50 to 80 and no brakes needed to decelerate from 80-50. Most 1 liter bikes have 150 HP on a 400 lbs machine, you better imagine how the engine response. Or you need to ride one to understand.

I am a biker myself and wonder why get hyper around me, and I had never through about race with any cars. Because bikes had never win the collusion with cars in history.

Take it easy on bikers, perhaps some of them are idiots but taking out a wrong one gives you bad karma. Most idiot bikers get F-up sooner then you thought, they don't need you to take care of... trust me.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='486972' date='Oct 27 2007, 11:07 PM
9:40 PM 10/26/07, I was driving home from my sister's house at faster than normal speed because I had to get to put the kids to bed. Along a semi traffic 3 lane freeway, I noticed a single headlight in the rear mirror moderately gaining speed despite my current cruise of 80-85 mph. A traffic light was within 1 mile distance as traffic began to increase, so I had to make some manuevers to get to the head of the pack; so did this single headlight that now followed closely behind me.

At the light, I managed to positioned myself behind one car shy of the red light in the middle lane, and the single headlight came up next to me also positioned behind one car on the left lane. Moving up to my left side, he reved his engine; I looked over, and it was a man (in helmet) on a speed motorcycle. My ignorance of sport bikes could not identify the make and model. Nonethless, it looked like sporty bike, but not like a super bike; I figured he was looking for TROUBLE when he reved his engine next to me!

When the light turned green, the car in front of him moved faster than the one in front of me. As I approached the next light (the length of an underpass), I had to move to the left behind the biker and kept about 1 1/2 car length. I wasn't sure what would happen (if the car in the middle lane would start to move faster or if the left lane would continue to move faster). As it turns out, I had to maintain the left lane behind the biker up to the next light; that's when the action began.

As soon as there were enough room betwen the left and the middle lane cars, he punched the throttle at about 20 mph (I could hear the sporty motorcycle engine screaming. Prepared, the sweet v8 responded with a reved to about 4500 rpm and increase rapidly before shifting at about 5500 rpm. I didn't do the "pedal to the metal" for reasoned you'll know later. Within a few seconds, he put 2-4 car lengths in front of me. Go figure, the guy punched it before I had my opening! But just as fast as I noticed the car lengths increase, I noticed that it began to stabilize and then decrease. Glancing at my odo, I was at about 90 mph rapidly rising and rpm at 5000-5500 rpm. Within a second or less of the my odo glance, the biker was at about 1 1/2 car length and closing in. HERE COMES TROUBLE!!! I was reeling him in at the rate he was trying to get away (OK, maybe a tad slower). Current speed was at 100-110 mph with rpm in the 5000-5500 rpm; not even redline yet. Within seconds, I'll stamp the BMW logo on his bike.

SUDDENLY, my personal and loving speed governor kick in. Damn!!! "Honey, if you don't slow down RIGHT NOW, you going to get HIM killed! Then you feel real good." I persisted for a split second and another alert followed just as rapidly as the first one, "I will never get you a faster car in the future." I'm thinking, "Man, that 997 TT I've been dreaming about is fading away." So I said in a begging voice, "Honey, I'm barely at 100 mph." She said, "I don't care, it's dark, you're gaining on him, and if something happens to him at that speed, he'll be dead, and you'll regret it later." I was thinking to myself, "Hmm, at least she feels safer in a Bimmer at that speed."

I didn't get to brand the logo on him; the biker disappeared in the night down the vast empty 3 lane freeway as I returned to the speed limit and the tranny was now in D mode. I'd like to do another run, Mr. Biker, if you can hear me; I'll have to leave my governor at home, though.

Hope you'll enjoyed the narative as much as I enjoyed the experience.

I found your post psychotic. You probably hearing voice from your imaginary friends. Self centered personality makes you a hater and think people wants to challenge you. Your road rage experience is completely idiotic and ridiculous. It is shame to see bmw driver like you.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='487705' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:13 PM
Motorcycle throttle & engine brakes are very sensitive. He doesn't need to gun it to do 50 to 80 and no brakes needed to decelerate from 80-50. Most 1 liter bikes have 150 HP on a 400 lbs machine, you better imagine how the engine response. Or you need to ride one to understand.

I am a biker myself and wonder why get hyper around me, and I had never through about race with any cars. Because bikes had never win the collusion with cars in history.

Take it easy on bikers, perhaps some of them are idiots but taking out a wrong one gives you bad karma. Most idiot bikers get F-up sooner then you thought, they don't need you to take care of... trust me.

*shrugs* then dont annoy me by slowing to 50 and accelerating to 80 over and over... you dont know me. I respect bikers see my other post. I'm a bike enthusiasts myself minus cruiser bikes... and always yield to them and share my lane so they have extra space to pass. They all give me a wave thanks when passing me by cuz I share the road... But dont annoy me by doing 50 to 80 blasts... I'll use my shitty V8 to pass if needed. sure the biker will win if he REALLY wanted to try but it will still show that I dont appreciate being slowed to 50 and then up to 70 and making me slow to 50 several times.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='487709' date='Oct 30 2007, 12:27 AM
I found your post psychotic. You probably hearing voice from your imaginary friends. Self centered personality makes you a hater and think people wants to challenge you. Your road rage experience is completely idiotic and ridiculous. It is shame to see bmw driver like you.
I'm sure you're always driving the speed limit and enjoying your car just fine. Perhaps my narrative caused you to perceived that I experienced a "road rage" and all the other negative emotional states you mentioned above. If that is the case, than I should congratulate myself for being a good writer for 9th grade level education.

On the hand, if you had the psychological complexity to understand phenomenological psychology, you would not have concluded that I experienced what you have described and made such a derogatory judgement. Rather, given a similar situation, people experience and react differently based on their past experience.

It is shame to see a bmw driver (like yourself) so narrow-minded to assume that competitive driving in a safe environment (and yes, safety is relative) always constitute an anti-social behavior you described above. Rather, I asset my risk on a daily basis and hope that I constantly do so . . . perhaps you are describing "your own state of being" if put in or participate in such activity. I really can't speak for you, so don't speak for me.

BTW, "Hating is from within." :thumbsdown:
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='487916' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:50 AM
I'm sure you're always driving the speed limit and enjoying your car just fine. Perhaps my narrative caused you to perceived that I experienced a "road rage" and all the other negative emotional states you mentioned above. If that is the case, than I should congratulate myself for being a good writer for 9th grade level education.

On the hand, if you had the psychological complexity to understand phenomenological psychology, you would not have concluded that I experienced what you have described and made such a derogatory judgement. Rather, given a similar situation, people experience and react differently based on their past experience.

It is shame to see a bmw driver (like yourself) so narrow-minded to assume that competitive driving in a safe environment (and yes, safety is relative) always constitute an anti-social behavior you described above. Rather, I asset my risk on a daily basis and hope that I constantly do so . . . perhaps you are describing "your own state of being" if put in or participate in such activity. I really can't speak for you, so don't speak for me.

BTW, "Hating is from within." :thumbsdown:
did you hear things? I cannot hear a thing... I hope your car speaks to you lately. You seem bored.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='488049' date='Oct 30 2007, 07:30 PM
did you hear things? I cannot hear a thing... I hope your car speaks to you lately. You seem bored.
give it up man..
Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by VTec' post='487686' date='Oct 29 2007, 09:14 PM
Glad someone else here has experienced the Interceptor. It's such a great bike. I owned the first model out in 1983 for several years and after being out of riding for a while, now have the 6th generation as well (mine is a 2006).

Hey, let us know how your 535i is when you get it. Bet you can't wait.

Will do and have fun on your Interceptor. I heard that Honda had reworked the V-Tech enagment parameters in the 2005/2006 time frame...when (RPM's) does yours kick in? That V Tech can be fun...kind of like the seecond set of barrels on the old style 4bbl carbs kicking in
Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributors

I have an interesting story today about a race with a bike.

I was at the front of the lights. Next to me was a crappy old car, not even worth bothering with. I heard a rumble coming up beside me, it was a YZF-R1. Lovely looking bike. The lights were on red, I could see him getting ready. But I was there in my remapped 535d. In to sport mode it went. The lights changed and I floored it. The R1 shot off in to the distance never to be seen again. The end.

Quick Reply: 545i vs. a Sporty Motorcycle