E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i vs. a Sporty Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

the other thing to remember about sportbike riders is that 99% of them dont know how to ride them to their full potential, even in a straight line. Glad you all got home safely.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='487159' date='Oct 28 2007, 04:50 PM
Indeed. And with your kids in the car, you want to be thinking about getting them home safely to bed, not trying to race somebody. Save sh!t like that for when you are in the car on your own... I like to drive fast and have a play with other vehicles - but you start your post saying "you were driving quickly because you want to get your kids to bed". Slow down a bit, get them to bed safely, then go back out and play...! (Here come the flames I expect but hey, when it comes to my kids, I couldn't care less who, in/on whatever vehicle, "beat me").
Correction: Grandma was babysitting the kids at home. It was just my wife and I. Though, I concur, with kids in the car, I wouldn't chase him even if he dented my car.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by VTec' post='487151' date='Oct 28 2007, 04:26 PM
As much as I love the quickness of my 545, if I really want speed I jump onto the Honda Interceptor. 800cc and 0-60 in about 3.6 seconds. Just lean forward, twist the wrist and go! (Oh, and make sure there is a clear, straight, smooth path in front of you.)
BTW - just to make it clear, NOT COOL in traffic or with anyone else on the bike! Better to leave bikers to their own. Not sure if you've seen them, but some are all too happy to try and keep up while on ONE WHEEL!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='487039' date='Oct 28 2007, 09:51 AM
Being a sport bike rider myself, (Honda CBR1000RR), I'd have to say he was playing with you (unless it was a scooter) there's not much chance a 545i (or most any car) is going to hang with a bike. I also have a 500+hp GT500 and while it's very fast 0-60 in the lower 4 second range, my CBR would also eat it's lunch. My bike is rev limited at 178mph as well. It's very hard for cars to keep up with bikes as the power to weight ratio is just so much better with a bike. His bike is probably in the 550lbs range and you are pushing closer to 4000lbs.......that's pretty much the difference. And do try and give bikers some room (even if he was being the instigator) as sometimes when they go down - they don't get up
I don't doubt that these sport bikes are fast than 99% of the cars in the streets, but as EBMCS03 and s4iscool noted, most riders don't really know how to use the max. power on their bikes. I frequent this section of the freeway to and from work for years now; the freeway is not straight from the second traffic light; it curved to the left a bit and inclines to become an overpass and begins to curve back to the right. This "boony" section of the freeway is not lit at all for miles. While there were 3 empty lanes, I do recall him sticking to one lane (the middle). I suspect that the lane markers (round bulging ones) is a bit dangerous for a biker at such high speed, but I don't know for sure.

For the benefit of the doubt, the biker probably didn't suspect that I would be able to stick it to him and probably didn't max. out his performance. In any case, there's some truth to what my wife said about biker's safety. I should know better with the police chase stories from my brother about biker's corpse unrecognizable and scattered in the streets at the end of the chases.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='487193' date='Oct 28 2007, 03:58 PM
I don't doubt that these sport bikes are fast than 99% of the cars in the streets, but as EBMCS03 and s4iscool noted, most riders don't really know how to use the max. power on their bikes. I frequent this section of the freeway to and from work for years now; the freeway is not straight from the second traffic light; it curved to the left a bit and inclines to become an overpass and begins to curve back to the right. This "boony" section of the freeway is not lit at all for miles. While there were 3 empty lanes, I do recall him sticking to one lane (the middle). I suspect that the lane markers (round bulging ones) is a bit dangerous for a biker at such high speed, but I don't know for sure.

For the benefit of the doubt, the biker probably didn't suspect that I would be able to stick it to him and probably didn't max. out his performance. In any case, there's some truth to what my wife said about biker's safety. I should know better with the police chase stories from my brother about biker's corpse unrecognizable and scattered in the streets at the end of the chases.
Your experience sounds fun, too bad you didn't get a chance to full throttle it... but hey, a 100+ MPH governor is pretty awesome also haha...
Old 10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Quit dreaming. I'll suck you up and blow you away...in third gear, with a second rider up on the pillion. And all you'll see is the roundel going by with a smile.
Ray

PS: No need to blame it on the governor either....see my New Ride note below.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by VTec' post='487151' date='Oct 28 2007, 02:26 PM
As much as I love the quickness of my 545, if I really want speed I jump onto the Honda Interceptor. 800cc and 0-60 in about 3.6 seconds. Just lean forward, twist the wrist and go! (Oh, and make sure there is a clear, straight, smooth path in front of you.)
Hey V-Tech your tag line gave you away I had an 2002 VFR (Interceptor) "V-tech" and had a blast on that bike!! Put 15K miles on her (no commute miles either) and really enjoyed that bike. It was sporty AND good for long distances too!!! I'd trade my CBR in a flash if Honda would increase the cc's to 1000 and ditch the v-tech...keep the rubber side down
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='487163' date='Oct 28 2007, 02:59 PM
the other thing to remember about sportbike riders is that 99% of them dont know how to ride them to their full potential, even in a straight line. Glad you all got home safely.

Shame on you for making such a generalization about sport bike riders That's not true at all!! I ride with many sport bike riders who are very safe and sane...after all the AUTOS are the ones who kill us...not each other :thumbsdown: Many of us take riding school and track days just so we can be safer and AVIOD "stupid" moves by auto drivers...ever head of riding in "the pace"....sheesh, you should know you facts before stating biased things like that...you are only helping to perpetuate the myth that sportbikes "crotchrockets" are nothing but death!!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seventhirteen' post='487050' date='Oct 28 2007, 08:38 AM
My my. What does it matter? That biker will be an organ donor at some point no need to try and join him.

Nice, the last "body bags' I saw were on the freeway - a Volvo wagon hit a bridge support and there were 4 "yellow" blankets on the shoulder...is that the kind of thing your are thinking...sheesh...shame on you!!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTec' post='487188' date='Oct 28 2007, 03:41 PM
BTW - just to make it clear, NOT COOL in traffic or with anyone else on the bike! Better to leave bikers to their own. Not sure if you've seen them, but some are all too happy to try and keep up while on ONE WHEEL!

You are right...that accounts for about 1% of motorcycle riders...most of us are safe and sane and only want to get where we are going...back off and give us some room!! How much distance do you leave between your 3600lb auto and the motorcycle in front of you? Most auto drivers never realize that a bike can stop twice as fast as a car can...now how much room are you leaving between you and the bike in front of you.....(ask yourself)

Quick Reply: 545i vs. a Sporty Motorcycle