E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Steptronic issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read other postings regarding issues with 545i Steptronic transmission.

I have taken in the car 2 times stating that the transmission appears to downshift when slowing down and then surges if the car does not come to a complete stop before accelerating again. A few times I have experienced what others have noted previously as the "slam" effect.

I was told twice that this is common with the 545i.

I have scheduled another appointment to see if this can be fixed. I am pursuing this as a safety issue. I'm tired of having to wonder when this "slam" effect or lurching forward is going to happen.

Anyone have any experience with getting this problem fixed?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by homerrs' post='350759' date='Oct 31 2006, 12:35 PM
I read other postings regarding issues with 545i Steptronic transmission.

I have taken in the car 2 times stating that the transmission appears to downshift when slowing down and then surges if the car does not come to a complete stop before accelerating again. A few times I have experienced what others have noted previously as the "slam" effect.

I was told twice that this is common with the 545i.

I have scheduled another appointment to see if this can be fixed. I am pursuing this as a safety issue. I'm tired of having to wonder when this "slam" effect or lurching forward is going to happen.

Anyone have any experience with getting this problem fixed?
There is lots of info. on this site. Just do a search on steptronic slam. There was a software update some time ago that claimed to specifically correct the slam, but some of us continued to have the problem. I had it most recently after a software update for another reason, but I have not had it since. You did not indicate if you have ever had your car's software updated, so I can only assume you have not and you should.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Mine was fixed when the dealer updated the transmission software using a laptop overnighted by BMW. Hasn't slammed since (2 months).
Old 11-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Members

Thanks for the info.

I took the car in to the dealership and asked about having it reprogrammed. It appears that the service advisor knew exactly what I was talking about as he typed in "slam effect" and that it felt like being "rear ended". I didn't even have to use any of these phrases explaining the problem.

The car has been at the dealership for 3 days due to they are waiting for the laptop to be sent to them from BMW. It was supposed to of been sent and received today for the reprogramming. I told them to keep the car until the reprogramming is complete and it's fixed!

I did have the service bulletin that I found on the internet in case I needed it. See below for the service bulletin. Hopefully, this will help others with the same issue of the "slam" effect with the Steptronic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI B 24 03 05

Automatic Transmission

JUNE 2005

SUBJECT

Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL

E60 (545i); E63/64 (Ci?Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION

Customer may complain of the following:

^ An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or
^ Transmission "bangs" into gear wen accelerating from a full or "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE

EGS software.

CORRECTION

On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle ussing SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important: Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of the CIP) programming.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty