E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 SMG

Old 12-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Wow! Just stumbled upon this gem of a website/forum...can't get enough...have paperwork in for 545i 6-speed on a Military/Diplomatic Delivery Program through Mildenhall UK, but still trying to finalize order in terms of color and transmission. I have yet to read a single Press Review of the 545i or SMG in the E60, though a few dealers I've visited in Georgia (Macon and Atlanta area) have tried to dissuade me from the SMG in a family car...they say it is rather harsh on the upshift regardless of weather you are simply cruising or have the loudpedal down. I've only had the chance to drive a 530i Steptronic, both Standard 530i and Sport Package 530i...Steptronic was sweet, but 530i was a bit underpowered for my taste. Have always driven manuals and love the idea of 6-Speed, but also like everything I've read about M3 SMG and felt it would be a nice solution to the ultimate in Sporty Driving yet a nice break in City Traffic when a Manual was nothing more than a nuisance...looking at delivery end of May in Munich with a Friday pickup 28th, just in time to head NW to Nurburgring for European Grand Prix...been dreaming about this car since first tidbit of info...patience is fortunately aided by an incredibly busy flying schedule. Again, kudos to all of you making inputs to this forum and to its host...my hats off!
Old 12-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Members

I drove a Z4 with SMG for a couple days when the dealer was taking care of a few software items on my 545 6 speed. I hated it. Shifts, even in sport mode were too slow and non intuitive. If the thing would have shifted faster it might be better. Spoke with the dealer and they said this is the same type SMG in the E60. I hear the M3 has more sporty programs that will shift much faster but it is for now only available on the M3. I would like to try this before making final judgement on SMG technology, but based on what I drove they can have it. Too gimmicky.

If you truly like driving a manual get the 6 speed. I have not regreted it, even in Atlanta traffic jams which I have been in a couple
Old 12-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Members

Thanks for the info...you didn't mention whether that was on the 2.5i or 3.0i...agree it is to be significantly different than M3, but with hp and torque of 545i, wondering if it wouldn't have much choice but to be fairly quick on the shift...had read early, early reviews I believe in European Auto that SMG turned quicker times, but seemed slow simply because as the driver you weren't doing anything accept paying attention to the time it took for the box to shift...in reality it was making a quicker shift than possible with manual. Since I'm used to driving a 325i, I'm sure traffic will be significantly different with torque of V8 and not having to shift as often. You mentioned Atlanta traffic...which dealer do you recommend in the Atlanta area for test driving...have only been to Global Imports...seemed to be fairly well stocked...talked with a South African salesperson...very knowledgeable, driving and F1 enthusiast to boot, but open to other dealers you'd recommend in my factfinding, possible future service shop...Thanks again! Appreciate any and all knowledge.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Members

The Z4 was a 3.0. All I was thinking was how great it would have been with a real 6 speed. Dealer told me that the E60 would not be much faster regarding shift times. It was either M3 software or "non-m3" so i believe it is wishful thinking.

Don't know Atlanta dealers as I am in SC but Century BMW in Greenville SC is where I got mine. Highly recommend them as they know their products and have excellent service; would be worth the 2 hours from Atlanta. However they are the only BMW dealer in upstate SC so you don't have any leverage from this perspective.

Can't go wrong with an F1 fan though. Used to live in Hockenheim and have gone to the last two USGP.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Saddam

I should think it a mistake to buy theE60 equipped with SMG without trying it first.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Members

Thanks again for all of the feedback...actually making purchase through the Mildenhall Military/Diplomatic sales...worth close $8K savings after all is said and done...better than a sharp stick in the eye as they say.

6-Speed it is!