E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i SMG Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umichchris
More detail:

5th gear is slipping. When feathering/cruising btwm 1k and 2.5k RPMs 5th gear continually disengages then re-engages causing what feels like an engine sputter. This occurs btwn 30 mph to 45 mph on regular roads and 70 mph to 80 mph while on the freeway in sport mode.

This issue is only found to be present in 5th gear...no matter in regular, sport or manual shift mode.

If you have any ideas let me know. But my gameplan right now is to take off all my mods (like $6k worth) and trade this bitch in...

2004 545i
64k miles....transmission issues since 48k miles
Sport package
Dinah stage 3 software
Dinan throttle body
Financial air intake w/ dual rpi scoops
Supersprint exhaust
Hate to fly off topic from the OP, but the mechatronics is not located in the torque convertor assembly. The torque convertor is nothing more than a pump. Your problem is most likely in the mechatronics (valve body) and it can be replaced separately. My entire transmission was replaced only because nobody would do any research and BMW said to just replace the whole thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point of order: the symptoms I'm seeing are completely different than what umichchris is seeing.
Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I think your issue is a software issue. You need to Update the DME and then test. Afterward you can throw tranny software on too or reset adaption values as a final option. (if you update DME you also have to reset adaption values) Send me PM I'll discuss further.

Who did this work for you? what type of fluid were you using and what procedure did they use...I guarantee you a BMW dealer would not have done this work for you at 95K because of liability unless you sign a waiver. You have to be careful on the fluids used and follow the manufacturer's procedures..any deviation is a problem waiting to happen. ANYTIME anything, i don't care if it's a VALVE COVER GASKET is replace on these cars you must "re-adapt" the values (adaption values) or else the work is in vain....all of the electronics work together in these cars...ALL OF THEM. The MAFS will mess up your transmission as if you think you have a tranny problem while it isn't so. A tech will even tell you that you need a new transmission or a re-build when it isn't so. Just be careful.
After two years of incompetent jackassery* I gave up on the local BMW dealership and found an indy that has a glowing reputation for working with BMWs. The fluids used were what the shop manual specifies: Pentosin MTF2 in the tranny and Pentosin CHF11S for the clutch.

At this point I'm planning to have the flywheel/clutch replaced with a OE clutch and a lightened Dinan flywheel.

Either way, I'll be PMing you.

*In case you're curious:
- bent a rim trying to get the OE run-flats off
- cracked my windshield
- diagnosed an "Increased Emissions" warning as an indication that the wiring harness needed to be replaced ($3K+). reset it with my OBD reader, never saw it again
- and more...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Veritas77
Point of order: the symptoms I'm seeing are completely different than what umichchris is seeing.

After two years of incompetent jackassery* I gave up on the local BMW dealership and found an indy that has a glowing reputation for working with BMWs. The fluids used were what the shop manual specifies: Pentosin MTF2 in the tranny and Pentosin CHF11S for the clutch.

At this point I'm planning to have the flywheel/clutch replaced with a OE clutch and a lightened Dinan flywheel.

Either way, I'll be PMing you.

*In case you're curious:
- bent a rim trying to get the OE run-flats off
- cracked my windshield
- diagnosed an "Increased Emissions" warning as an indication that the wiring harness needed to be replaced ($3K+). reset it with my OBD reader, never saw it again
- and more...
Ok. Man. Increased emissions probably you're running rich or lean... could be your O2 sensors acting up or even a restricted fuel filter...or even a pinhole leak in the air intake. I don't blame you...they call it the STEALERSHIP for a reason.