E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i SMG Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car has 95K on it (2005 Sport/Premium package).

From a dead stop I don't notice anything strange,

But if I'm at a steady speed and accelerate, the revs spin up about 200RPM and then it's like the car backs into its powerband.

Underneath 1000RPM there's a surging in 1st and in reverse under real light throttle.

Just got back, thankfully, after sitting in traffic for a few minutes with a non-moving vehicle. I'd picked up my family from a football game and the car was doing the lurching thing in traffic...sorta embarrassing so I was riding the brake while giving it throttle to try to keep it from lurching. Dumb, I know. I only did that a couple of times and then the next time I tried to accelerate the motor just spun up to about 2000RPM and then BANG into gear. That happened about twice and then the motor just spun. I sat there for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do when I restarted the car and things were back to normal.

I've searched the forums to find issues like this and have found some of the symptoms, but nothing that covers everything.

I'm thinking shot tranny but am hoping someone else has a less expensive diagnosis.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

my close friend has the same car w/ the same engine....she needed a full ECU flash of the transmission/car. bmwusa took the diagnosis data and determined that software updates would solve the issue. after re-flashing....the car was all good again. only cost 1 hr of labor. good luck though man....my 2004 545i (automatic) transmission is shot....5th gear is slipping and the torque converter is bad. im SOL.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

search M3 forum (e46), you have almost identical tranny as M3 SMG just one difference is no 6 different sitting.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

If it's problem with trany, I would replace salmon relay first.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Members

Had the transmission and clutch fluids replaced, didn't help.

Flywheel + clutch replacement is up next. Does anyone know of a lighter than OE flywheel + stronger clutch? I figure if I've gotta spend the money to tear the thing apart may as well get a little performance boost.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

where r u located?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
where r u located?
Lincoln, Nebraska.

I just got off the phone with Dinan; they have a lightened flywheel that isn't listed on their site, for whatever reason. It's $2295 but they're selling stuff at 85% through then end of the year so it'll be $1950.

I may go that direction; seems like the OE flywheel is going to run $1500 so an additional $500 for a lightened version works for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Veritas77
Car has 95K on it (2005 Sport/Premium package).
I'm thinking shot tranny but am hoping someone else has a less expensive diagnosis.

I think your issue is a software issue. You need to Update the DME and then test. Afterward you can throw tranny software on too or reset adaption values as a final option. (if you update DME you also have to reset adaption values) Send me PM I'll discuss further.

Originally Posted by Veritas77
Had the transmission and clutch fluids replaced, didn't help.

Flywheel + clutch replacement is up next. Does anyone know of a lighter than OE flywheel + stronger clutch? I figure if I've gotta spend the money to tear the thing apart may as well get a little performance boost.
Who did this work for you? what type of fluid were you using and what procedure did they use...I guarantee you a BMW dealer would not have done this work for you at 95K because of liability unless you sign a waiver. You have to be careful on the fluids used and follow the manufacturer's procedures..any deviation is a problem waiting to happen. ANYTIME anything, i don't care if it's a VALVE COVER GASKET is replace on these cars you must "re-adapt" the values (adaption values) or else the work is in vain....all of the electronics work together in these cars...ALL OF THEM. The MAFS will mess up your transmission as if you think you have a tranny problem while it isn't so. A tech will even tell you that you need a new transmission or a re-build when it isn't so. Just be careful.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by umichchris
my close friend has the same car w/ the same engine....she needed a full ECU flash of the transmission/car. bmwusa took the diagnosis data and determined that software updates would solve the issue. after re-flashing....the car was all good again. only cost 1 hr of labor. good luck though man....my 2004 545i (automatic) transmission is shot....5th gear is slipping and the torque converter is bad. im SOL.
Who told you this? I'm not buying easily. ...give some car stats. This sounds like some mechanic BS excuse. So someone dropped your transmission and checked out the torque converter? Just not buying....
Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Unfortunately I'm one of at least 5 members here and like 10+ m era over at bimmerfest.com that has the same issue. When I took it to the BMW dealership u bought the car from they knew exactly what the issue was bc many 04 & 05 E60s with the automatic trans experience the same issue. it's the mechatronics system located within the torque converter housing that goes bad with great frequency. It costs roughly $6500 to fix bc you basically have to get a new trans as I've been informed. I'm hurt...deeply.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Who told you this? I'm not buying easily. ...give some car stats. This sounds like some mechanic BS excuse. So someone dropped your transmission and checked out the torque converter? Just not buying....
Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

More detail:

5th gear is slipping. When feathering/cruising btwm 1k and 2.5k RPMs 5th gear continually disengages then re-engages causing what feels like an engine sputter. This occurs btwn 30 mph to 45 mph on regular roads and 70 mph to 80 mph while on the freeway in sport mode.

This issue is only found to be present in 5th gear...no matter in regular, sport or manual shift mode.

If you have any ideas let me know. But my gameplan right now is to take off all my mods (like $6k worth) and trade this bitch in...

2004 545i
64k miles....transmission issues since 48k miles
Sport package
Dinah stage 3 software
Dinan throttle body
Financial air intake w/ dual rpi scoops
Supersprint exhaust

Quick Reply: 545i SMG Clutch Problems