E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i oil leak......

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I replaced that gasket a month or two ago. Pretty close to the most difficult operation I've done on a car in my 40 years of amateur auto wrenching. And the irony of it all is that judging by how clean the block was around the gasket under the alternator bracket, it apparently wasn't leaking at all, confirmed by the fact that the engine still leaked from somewhere. The good thing is that after that ordeal nothing seems difficult anymore. So this weekend I replaced the upper timing cover gasket (should have done that to begin with) along with the Vanos solenoid o-rings. I've got my fingers crossed, but it looks like the oil may be leaking from behind the lower timing cover, up close to the head.
Always start from the highest point on leaks unless you know what the issue is. I tell you what,the valve covers are not fun.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moneyflylane
Thanks for the fast reply and great advice. That is the real Coup de Grace for the real bolts. I just removed the wheel and then lower plastic panel and I can see the top bolt nicely and with good access.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Members

I completed the work this afternoon. I also found that you get better access to the hex bolt on the back of the power steering pump from the wheel well, with a long extension and universal inserted right in from the the tie rod rubber bellows. Also for others to not that the rear of the alternator bracket/casing has to alignment inserts on the back to holes, these help position the casting properly. You need to be careful and make sure they don't fall/become lost out during handling and cleaning.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it really helped!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by healthservices
Always start from the highest point on leaks unless you know what the issue is. I tell you what,the valve covers are not fun.
Yeah, I know about the valve covers. That was the first thing I tackled after I bought the car last year. I found a secret, though, which I've been meaning to share. If you bend the dipstick tube over a couple of inches, it gives you enough clearance to actually make it a doable job. I absolutely could not get the driver's side valve cover off until I did that. Somebody else may have already noted that in another thread, but I think it ought to be reiterated.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Boo-urns! So much work! Rad drain plug decided to break in half. So I tried an easy out and ended up breaking the plug into the rad. So I had to pull the rad and fish out the broken piece. Glad I did though. So much bugs, leaves, dirt in between the rad and a/c condenser. Hopefully I didn't f up the threads on the rad drain.
Was surprised to see how clean the inside of the engine was though. (Behind timing cover). Hopefully I can get this thing back together faster than I took it apart. Also noticed I'll have to do valve covers as well.
545i oil leak......-cimg3524.jpg
545i oil leak......-cimg3526.jpg
545i oil leak......-cimg3528.jpg
545i oil leak......-cimg3529.jpg