E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Just to add my thoughts here. My original question was why a 4 door sedan at 17, not why a BMW. I do agree that you learn to appreciate things more when you work for them; however, I don't knock those that have things or are able to provide things for their children. You don't know this kid, and he could be a very responsible young man, with morals, and some car knowledge about him. When I was 16, I expected a car and didn't get it. My grandparents raised me, and they were wealthy from real estate, but he didn't even get me a Civic (I was big on Hondas back then too!!!) He was born in 1920, didn't even go to middle school, and really scraped to get what he earned, so to him money was nothing to "give" away. Not even to his beloved grandson.

At 17, I was pretty responsible and whether or not I would "appreciate" the car didn't have anything to do with whether or not I should have gotten one. It is the same story different car. Some people would never purchase a car for their children, some will get their children something reliable and cheap. Others will get BMWs, hell in some places, there are probably 17 year olds driving Ferrari's. It really just depends on what you can afford, and how you raise your children, and what your beliefs are. For the family that doesn't spend time with their kids, that car is his expression of love, and that is never a good thing, but for some it is something that they want to do for their kids who are responsible, get good grades, and they can afford it. To each his own on this one.

To take it one more step, I know people who won't even consider paying for their childrens college tuition because no one paid theirs and they want their kids to struggle and learn too. Well, you can learn without the full struggle, and we are supposed to provide better lives for our children, not lead them into the same traps as we fell into.

Will I buy my son a BMW at 17, no. But I will get him a car and that in itself will be a lot more than I got when I was 17.

Assalbert, tell your friend to enjoy his new car, tell HIM to join this forum (don't tell me he has a 545 and not a computer). This way we all can help him learn to appreciate his beautiful ride...if he doesn't already.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:50 PM

At 17, I was pretty responsible and whether or not I would "appreciate" the car didn't have anything to do with whether or not I should have gotten one.? It is the same story different car.? Some people would never purchase a car for their children, some will get their children something reliable and cheap.? Others will get BMWs, hell in some places, there are probably 17 year olds driving Ferrari's.? It really just depends on what you can afford, and how you raise your children, and what your beliefs are.? For the family that doesn't spend time with their kids, that car is his expression of love, and that is never a good thing, but for some it is something that they want to do for their kids who are responsible, get good grades, and they can afford it.? To each his own on this one.

To take it one more step, I know people who won't even consider paying for their childrens college tuition because no one paid theirs and they want their kids to struggle and learn too.? Well, you can learn without the full struggle, and we are supposed to provide better lives for our children, not lead them into the same traps as we fell into.

Will I buy my son a BMW at 17, no.? But I will get him a car and that in itself will be a lot more than I got when I was 17.

Assalbert, tell your friend to enjoy his new car, tell HIM to join this forum (don't tell me he has a 545 and not a computer).? This way we all can help him learn to appreciate his beautiful ride...if he doesn't already.
[snapback]47348[/snapback]
You are right Aaron, that very fortunate young man should join this forum and I should not have pre-judged him. Different strokes for different folks. But I still think that his parents are taking something away from him with this gift. (not the gift of a car or BMW but of a $60K car). I will buy my two sons and daughter a car when they turn 17, but not an executive luxury sedan. Its a different story with this car.

How about a used 3er until he is 19 and see how he does in college? He may get better gas mileage and be able to pump higher octane
Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributors

thi first thing is the 5 is new, m3..the design is getting old for me. a lot of my friends own M3 and Im kinda bored. :'(

I like the 5 because its whole new design concept and it is different with other cars in general.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 11:24 AM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Oct 20 2004, 12:53 PM']I actually think that this story is very plausible.

Not to make this a natinality issue, but, here in So.Cal, there are? alot of kids with expensive cars.? These cars cost 2x or 3x as much in their countries, so their parents don't think that it's a big deal shelling out Acura money for a BMW.

I got a Civid when I was 16, but my 2 friends got brand new, back in 1986 528e and E300 to drive to school.? A third friend got an Audi 5000 but his parents made him sell it due to its bad reputation from that sudden-acceleration fiasco thing. I think the kids would also have a better odds in convincing their parents in buying sedans rather than all-out sports coupes.

I don't condemn priviledged young people for driving expensive cars that their parent bought.? After all, I would like to have a rich parent too ?? but I don't, so be it.
Some may argue differently, and I would also agree.
[snapback]47199[/snapback]
I have worked hard for the last 25 years. Driven the same Honda Accord for 14 yrs before getting into my 545i. I have three children. I would hate to rob them of the pleasure of earning the ride of their dreams. If I had an exotic car on my 17th birthday, what would I have to look forward to??? Some months back I saw an attorney buy a 645i for his 17yr old daughter. Hell I doubt she has any idea what she is driving.
[snapback]47234[/snapback]
[/quote]
agree w/both you, speedracerF4i and hormazd . i always don't agree parents buy expensive things to their kids. the kids won't appreciate the true value of money. most of them will take it for granted. money can buy a house but not a home.

Originally Posted by assalbert' date='Oct 20 2004, 12:06 PM
for those of you that think im lying, ill get pics asap, im getting a digi cam real soon actually they took a pic of him and the car after he bought it but i dunno if he got it yet.
[snapback]47258[/snapback]
nobody thinks you are lying but i think some of us just wondering why your friend didn't join us .

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 12:07 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:58 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 03:24 PM']I have worked hard for the last 25 years.? Driven the same Honda Accord for 14 yrs before getting into my 545i.? ? I have three children.?? I would hate to rob them of the pleasure of earning the ride of their dreams.?? If I had an exotic car on my 17th birthday,? what would I have to look forward to????? Some months back I saw an attorney buy a 645i for his 17yr old daughter.?? Hell I doubt she has any idea what she is driving.
[snapback]47234[/snapback]
Well, I can relate to you my friend. When I was 15, I dreamed of owning a civic. Yes, DREAMED. I then graduated to an Acura Integra, which came with my 1st loan. Without giving you a lengthy history, each time I upgraded, there was always that sense of accomplishment.

Unfortunately, many parents don't see it your way. What their childred drive are regarded as what they can provide. A badge of honor sort of speaking.
[snapback]47253[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, I give em the best education money can buy. Thats the badge of honor. The 60K car just ruins them.
[snapback]47259[/snapback]
[/quote]
have to agree with you guys again. some parents buy kids expensive stuff just want to "show off" <_<. that kind of attitude will go to the kids which is not something we like to see. i have a friend when i was 16. he studied aboard in england and called me he just got a brand new porsche 911 cabriolet . his parents had rolls royce, 5 top of the line m.benz, porsche, two drivers, and not sure how many maids at home . i also had another friend when i was 12, in grade 7. he was wearing a boy size two-tone rolex to school and using cartier wallet . i have a lot of that kind of friends and you know, i don't think they know what is money at all.

Originally Posted by John W' date='Oct 20 2004, 12:09 PM
I was talking to a business associate from NY a few months ago - he asked us over lunch about M3s, because he was getting ready to buy his son one.?

This guy is a very successful businessman, whose wife is as well, and they don't spend any time with their kids.? So, when it's time to buy a car, they buy a car.?

They can't find the time to drive the kids around, or be bothered with research on the car.? The only research they'd done was looking at an CLK55 AMG and when they heard how powerful it was, told him no, so he picked the M# as an alternate.

Yes, it's crazy, tragic and true, and I'm fairly certain this 16 yr old is cruising around in a new M3.
[snapback]47260[/snapback]
john w, see above. i also had friends like that before.

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:50 PM
Just to add my thoughts here.? My original question was why a 4 door sedan at 17, not why a BMW.? I do agree that you learn to appreciate things more when you work for them; however, I don't knock those that have things or are able to provide things for their children.? You don't know this kid, and he could be a very responsible young man, with morals, and some car knowledge about him.? When I was 16, I expected a car and didn't get it.? My grandparents raised me, and they were wealthy from real estate, but he didn't even get me a Civic (I was big on Hondas back then too!!!) He was born in 1920, didn't even go to middle school, and really scraped to get what he earned, so to him money was nothing to "give" away.? Not even to his beloved grandson.

At 17, I was pretty responsible and whether or not I would "appreciate" the car didn't have anything to do with whether or not I should have gotten one.? It is the same story different car.? Some people would never purchase a car for their children, some will get their children something reliable and cheap.? Others will get BMWs, hell in some places, there are probably 17 year olds driving Ferrari's.? It really just depends on what you can afford, and how you raise your children, and what your beliefs are.? For the family that doesn't spend time with their kids, that car is his expression of love, and that is never a good thing, but for some it is something that they want to do for their kids who are responsible, get good grades, and they can afford it.? To each his own on this one.

To take it one more step, I know people who won't even consider paying for their childrens college tuition because no one paid theirs and they want their kids to struggle and learn too.? Well, you can learn without the full struggle, and we are supposed to provide better lives for our children, not lead them into the same traps as we fell into.

Will I buy my son a BMW at 17, no.? But I will get him a car and that in itself will be a lot more than I got when I was 17.

Assalbert, tell your friend to enjoy his new car, tell HIM to join this forum (don't tell me he has a 545 and not a computer).? This way we all can help him learn to appreciate his beautiful ride...if he doesn't already.
[snapback]47348[/snapback]
i haven't spent my parents a penny ever since i turned 16. yes, they paid for my college tuition but i paid them back after. it wasn't fun for me to go school and work at the same time but i really appreciate what my parents did to me. i'm proud to tell everybody this especially the younger kids. don't take things for granted. you want it, you work for it. i feel good to use my own money to buy my own stuff. my boss is over 70 and he is very successful. but he told me he won't leave a penny to his kids nor grandkids. he's trying to spend everything he has now but he isn't a flashy person. he's willing to spend 100,000/week for his bird-sighting trip but will never buy a expensive car. he said if the kids want money, go earn it. one of his granddaughters came over for the summer and he asked her to work in the company but only paid her the minimum wage. she went to lunch 15 minutes longer than normal one day and he deducted that from her check. she borrowed a dollar from him to buy lunch from mcdonald and he asked her to pay him back. this sounds crazy but not a bad way to teach nowadays kids.