E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't think this whole story passes the smell test?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Oct 20 2004, 10:52 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't think this whole story passes the smell test?
[snapback]47127[/snapback]
No you're not...but we are all being polite and playing it along

beewang
Old 10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I actually think that this story is very plausible.

Not to make this a natinality issue, but, here in So.Cal, there are alot of kids with expensive cars. These cars cost 2x or 3x as much in their countries, so their parents don't think that it's a big deal shelling out Acura money for a BMW.

I got a Civid when I was 16, but my 2 friends got brand new, back in 1986 528e and E300 to drive to school. A third friend got an Audi 5000 but his parents made him sell it due to its bad reputation from that sudden-acceleration fiasco thing. I think the kids would also have a better odds in convincing their parents in buying sedans rather than all-out sports coupes.

I don't condemn priviledged young people for driving expensive cars that their parent bought. After all, I would like to have a rich parent too but I don't, so be it.
Some may argue differently, and I would also agree.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 20 2004, 12:53 PM
I actually think that this story is very plausible.

Not to make this a natinality issue, but, here in So.Cal, there are? alot of kids with expensive cars.? These cars cost 2x or 3x as much in their countries, so their parents don't think that it's a big deal shelling out Acura money for a BMW.

I got a Civid when I was 16, but my 2 friends got brand new, back in 1986 528e and E300 to drive to school.? A third friend got an Audi 5000 but his parents made him sell it due to its bad reputation from that sudden-acceleration fiasco thing. I think the kids would also have a better odds in convincing their parents in buying sedans rather than all-out sports coupes.

I don't condemn priviledged young people for driving expensive cars that their parent bought.? After all, I would like to have a rich parent too ?? but I don't, so be it.
Some may argue differently, and I would also agree.
[snapback]47199[/snapback]
I have worked hard for the last 25 years. Driven the same Honda Accord for 14 yrs before getting into my 545i. I have three children. I would hate to rob them of the pleasure of earning the ride of their dreams. If I had an exotic car on my 17th birthday, what would I have to look forward to??? Some months back I saw an attorney buy a 645i for his 17yr old daughter. Hell I doubt she has any idea what she is driving.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 03:24 PM
I have worked hard for the last 25 years.? Driven the same Honda Accord for 14 yrs before getting into my 545i.? ? I have three children.? I would hate to rob them of the pleasure of earning the ride of their dreams.? If I had an exotic car on my 17th birthday,? what would I have to look forward to???? Some months back I saw an attorney buy a 645i for his 17yr old daughter.? Hell I doubt she has any idea what she is driving.
[snapback]47234[/snapback]
Well, I can relate to you my friend. When I was 15, I dreamed of owning a civic. Yes, DREAMED. I then graduated to an Acura Integra, which came with my 1st loan. Without giving you a lengthy history, each time I upgraded, there was always that sense of accomplishment.

Unfortunately, many parents don't see it your way. What their childred drive are regarded as what they can provide. A badge of honor sort of speaking.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Members

for those of you that think im lying, ill get pics asap, im getting a digi cam real soon actually they took a pic of him and the car after he bought it but i dunno if he got it yet.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:58 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 03:24 PM']I have worked hard for the last 25 years.? Driven the same Honda Accord for 14 yrs before getting into my 545i.? ? I have three children.?? I would hate to rob them of the pleasure of earning the ride of their dreams.?? If I had an exotic car on my 17th birthday,? what would I have to look forward to????? Some months back I saw an attorney buy a 645i for his 17yr old daughter.?? Hell I doubt she has any idea what she is driving.
[snapback]47234[/snapback]
Well, I can relate to you my friend. When I was 15, I dreamed of owning a civic. Yes, DREAMED. I then graduated to an Acura Integra, which came with my 1st loan. Without giving you a lengthy history, each time I upgraded, there was always that sense of accomplishment.

Unfortunately, many parents don't see it your way. What their childred drive are regarded as what they can provide. A badge of honor sort of speaking.
[snapback]47253[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, I give em the best education money can buy. Thats the badge of honor. The 60K car just ruins them.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Contributors

I was talking to a business associate from NY a few months ago - he asked us over lunch about M3s, because he was getting ready to buy his son one.

This guy is a very successful businessman, whose wife is as well, and they don't spend any time with their kids. So, when it's time to buy a car, they buy a car.

They can't find the time to drive the kids around, or be bothered with research on the car. The only research they'd done was looking at an CLK55 AMG and when they heard how powerful it was, told him no, so he picked the M# as an alternate.

Yes, it's crazy, tragic and true, and I'm fairly certain this 16 yr old is cruising around in a new M3.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by assalbert' date='Oct 20 2004, 03:06 PM
for those of you that think im lying, ill get pics asap, im getting a digi cam real soon actually they took a pic of him and the car after he bought it but i dunno if he got it yet.
[snapback]47258[/snapback]
I doubt that anyone on this forum thinks you are lying. We beleive you. Its just that we all really understand our cars and appreciate them in a way that your friend cannot possibly. I can say this with confidence, as he just hasn't driven enough to really appreciate a 545i. Now tell me he is a mechanical engineer who knows whats surrounding him and I will concede my point. BUT he didn't want a 545 or a BMW for that matter. It just fell into his lap with little choice on his part.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 02:14 PM
I doubt that anyone on this forum thinks you are lying.? We beleive you.? Its just that we all really understand our cars and appreciate them in a way that your friend cannot possibly.? I can say this with confidence, as he just hasn't driven enough to really appreciate a 545i.? Now tell me he is a mechanical engineer who knows whats surrounding him and I will concede my point.? BUT he didn't want a 545 or a BMW for that matter.? It just fell into his lap with little choice on his part.
[snapback]47265[/snapback]
you are 100% correct sir

Quick Reply: 545i gas