E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

OK, I did a test. Put a glass of water on the console, and started at idle:

700 rpm smooth
900 rpm smooth
1000 rpm smooth
1200 rpm smooth with a tiny bit of vibration - just enough to see the water shake
a tiny, tiny bit.
1400 rpm smooth
1800 rpm smooth
2400 rpm smooth with the same type of small vibration at 1200 rpm, not quite
as much though.
2400 and up - smooth

Overall, there is just the slightest harmonic at 1200 rpm, then again even slighter at 2400 rpm. Very, very slight though - not a 'shake', just a bit of vibration. A glass of water sitting on the armrest is a good test. The water really doesn't shake at all except a tiny bit at 1200 and 2400. This is normal, since any engine will have harmonic frequencies that tend to vibrate more than others. The question is how much is your engine vibrating, and the only way to really test is to do a side-by-side with another 545 6sp. Good luck!
[snapback]108299[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good idea for the test - I will try it when I get back home. I think you are right as far as trying another car - the tough part is finding another 545 6-speed.

I probably would not worry about it except for the fact of trying a 645 and having an independent BMW mechanic tell me it did not seem right.

Anybody on the forum with this type of setup in the southern CA area (SB to LA)?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Mar 29 2005, 11:08 AM
Interesting. I hope it's sorted out quickly for you.? I don't have the luxury of driving a V8 but I wonder if it could possibly be some electronic sensor misfeeding info to the engine management unit causing the unwanted vibrations? Air-mass sensor or idle or whatever?? Or some loose connection.

When the BMW technicians run a level 1 diagnostic (Star Trek eat your heart out) I wonder how much of the complete systems they actually test. From previous experience with PC's, their diagnostics, almost without fail, never found anything wrong with the PC and its peripherals.

Probably the best hope if for the car to pass through the maximun number of eyes and with luck, someone will have seen/cured the problem before.

On a previous car (non-BMW), I have an intermittent problem where the turbo came on boost and it would then loose power. Not all the time but enough to cause a few potentially smelly moments when overtaking. It went back to various dealers and the HO and eventually someone saw a loose earth connection on something. Yikes.
[snapback]108305[/snapback]
That is what the rep is having the dealer do - look at the cylinder balancing, injectors, coils...

It would be nice if they found a week coil or something.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Mar 29 2005, 10:49 AM
OK, I did a test.? Put a glass of water on the console, and started at idle:

700 rpm? ? smooth
900 rpm? ? smooth
1000 rpm? smooth
1200 rpm? smooth with a tiny bit of vibration - just enough to see the water shake
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? a tiny, tiny bit.
1400 rpm? smooth
1800 rpm? smooth
2400 rpm? smooth with the same type of small vibration at 1200 rpm, not quite
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? as much though.
2400 and up - smooth

Overall, there is just the slightest harmonic at 1200 rpm, then again even slighter at 2400 rpm.? Very, very slight though - not a 'shake', just a bit of vibration.? A glass of water sitting on the armrest is a good test.? The water really doesn't shake at all except a tiny bit at 1200 and 2400.? This is normal, since any engine will have harmonic frequencies that tend to vibrate more than others.? The question is how much is your engine vibrating, and the only way to really test is to do a side-by-side with another 545 6sp.? Good luck!
[snapback]108299[/snapback]
I tried this only without the glass of water. I got the same results just had my hand on the shifter.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

At least you know it's still running?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm sure trying it in a SMG in neutral is the same no? I'll run this test tomorrow when i get back from work.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 29 2005, 10:09 PM
I'm sure trying it in a SMG in neutral is the same no? I'll run this test tomorrow when i get back from work.
[snapback]108539[/snapback]
Interested in your results.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I just went outside and tested it right now. Its smooth at all RPMs. at idle there isnt any movement in the water at all but once above 1K-ish I see very small ripples in the water... you know rings like when you throw a pebble into the water and you see it propagate out. Thats all there was... it was very minor... didnt make the water jump or splash or anything... I slowly went up the Rev range and all I saw were the tiny little ripples which i'm sure is normal.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 30 2005, 07:55 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Mar 29 2005, 10:09 PM']I'm sure trying it in a SMG in neutral is the same no? I'll run this test tomorrow when i get back from work.
[snapback]108539[/snapback]
Interested in your results.
[snapback]108987[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for doing the test. The dealer was doing a bunch of diagnostic tests and I will pickup it up Friday night when I get home. I will perform the test and let you guys know. I am traveling again through next Thursday, so I will update you toward the end of next week.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Here is where I stand - tell me if I you think I have a problem or I am being peraniod???

The dealer ran the diagnositic checks and everything was ok.

So, my SA says the next thing that BMWNA wants them to do is pull the oil pan and check the crank numbers to make sure it is the right crank?

I have a hard time believing that the crank could be wrong.

I went back to the dealer and tried a 645 auto again. It has almost undetectable harmonics/vibrations.

I tried the water glass on the console arm rest. With a plastic cup and at the bad points it really shakes. With a heavy glass it is detectable but much less.

So, is this just characteristic of the manual or is it really a problem?

If they want to check the crank, I guess I have to do it, otherwise I will wonder about it for the life of the car.

If any of you 545i - 6 speed guys are ever at your dealer for service, try an auto and see if it is different.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 7 2005, 02:57 PM
Here is where I stand - tell me if I you think I have a problem or I am being peraniod???

The dealer ran the diagnositic checks and everything was ok.?

So, my SA says the next thing that BMWNA wants them to do is pull the oil pan and check the crank numbers to make sure it is the right crank??

I have a hard time believing that the crank could be wrong.

I went back to the dealer and tried a 645 auto again.? It has almost undetectable harmonics/vibrations.

I tried the water glass on the console arm rest.? With a plastic cup and at the bad points it really shakes.? With a heavy glass it is detectable but much less.

So, is this just characteristic of the manual or is it really a problem?

If they want to check the crank, I guess I have to do it, otherwise I will wonder about it for the life of the car.

If any of you 545i - 6 speed guys are ever at your dealer for service, try an auto and see if it is different.
[snapback]112455[/snapback]

Have you tried the water test when your car's engine is cold versus warm?

Also what about ambient air temperature? I had noticed what I thought was a similar problem on cold starts when the air temp was <40 degrees fahrenheit, but now that the outdoor temp where I live has warmed up I don't notice it.

I'm also not certain that it is the engine versus my tires. I have not tried the H2O test (I may wait until next winter unless I notice vibrations again).

Another issue for me is that I'm about to switch from winter to summer tires, so that will also give me something point to examine.

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration