E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Have you tried the water test when your car's engine is cold versus warm?

Also what about ambient air temperature? I had noticed what I thought was a similar problem on cold starts when the air temp was <40 degrees fahrenheit, but now that the outdoor temp where I live has warmed up I don't notice it.

I'm also not certain that it is the engine versus my tires. I have not tried the H2O test (I may wait until next winter unless I notice vibrations again).

Another issue for me is that I'm about to switch from winter to summer tires, so that will also give me something point to examine.
[snapback]112459[/snapback]
[/quote]

I live in a mild temperature which ranges from mid 40's to upper 70's. My tests have been when the engine has warmed up.

I notice it when I am NOT driving, just sitting a varying the RPM's. I do not know if I am experiencing anything while driving - that is one of my concerns. I have the Dunlop run flats that are going to get replaced (replacements on order from the dealer).

From all of my investigation, I believe it is an inherent harmonic of the engine. The question is - is the amount normal or excessive. Since it is not noticable on the same engine with an automatic - my concern is that it is not normal.

On mine I can definately feel it at approx 1250, slightly at 1400, and at 1900-2200. I can feel it/see it in the steering wheel, the shifter and is extremely noticable for someone holding onto the drivers door with it open.

See if you can detect it on yours. If you can, then try an auto when convenient.

It is not a problem that is stopping me from driving the car, I would just like to know.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Members

jsal,

I have a simular problem although it's at different RPMs and have a 525d. Are you sure it's the engine ? I have the same paranoia feeling you have, it's so subjective and other people don't seem to notice it. BMW seems to agree that there is something but another car also had vibrations (although to me they do not feel the same). They don't really know what to do about, they suggested to replace the clutch, but I didn't want to go through the same suffering as you are right now (days and days without you're care, and still no solution)

Do you feel the vibration in the back of your seat ? With my car it seems like the back tyres are out of balance. I also have vibrations in the gearshift when I rev up in first gear. Another thing I notice is when you drive on the highway (130km/h),you disengage the clutch, and you keep it in 5th gear the gearshift starts to vibrate as well after a second or two. Also when driving at about 2800 rpm sometimes I hear a fluctuating sound.

I also had the feeling that outside temp has something to do with it as in the winter (< +5?C) the vibrations where not so noticable. Now that temperatures are going up (> +15?C) it starts getting worse again.

Does any of this sound familiar ?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 23 2005, 08:27 PM
Fly wheel did not fix the problem.? I am picking the car up tonight (after being without it for 5 days.

So, not the accessories, waterpump, harmonic balancer or flywheel.? Sounds internal to me.? They are back to asking BMWNA what to do.

If anybody wants to take a WAG - go for it.
[snapback]105734[/snapback]
My 545 has been at the dealer for the past 10 days after I complained about a rough idle when cold. They are replacing the valve "fingers" (?rocker arms) that were out of tolerance. Took them 1 week just to locate the parts here in the states after being told initially they would have to come from Germany IF it could be found there! Other than that the cars runs great when it warms up.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by IdZer0' date='Apr 8 2005, 04:10 AM
jsal,

I have a simular problem although it's at different? RPMs and have a 525d. Are you sure it's the engine ? I have the same paranoia feeling you have, it's so subjective and other people don't seem to notice it. BMW seems to agree that there is something but another car also had vibrations (although to me they do not feel the same). They don't really know what to do about, they suggested to replace the clutch, but I didn't want to go through the same suffering as you are right now (days and days without you're care, and still no solution)

Do you feel the vibration in the back of your seat ? With my car it seems like the back tyres are out of balance. I also have vibrations in the gearshift when I rev up in first gear. Another thing I notice is when you drive on the highway (130km/h),you disengage the clutch, and you keep it in 5th gear the gearshift starts to vibrate as well after a second or two. Also when driving at about 2800 rpm sometimes I hear a fluctuating sound.

I also had the feeling that outside temp has something to do with it as in the winter (< +5?C) the vibrations where not so noticable. Now that temperatures are going up (> +15?C) it starts getting worse again.

[snapback]112863[/snapback]
Does not sound the same.

There will be engine harmonics at particular RPMS and each engine is different as well as can change with the type of exhaust.

I do get some vibrations out of the gear shift which I think is normal - have seen it on other cars.

When driving there can be a thousand more things that effect this (i.e. transmission, driveshaft and tires)

My vibrations are standing still, car in nuetral and increase RPM. If you open the drivers door it will sit perfectly smooth until you hit the specific RPM's in which case it will just start vibrating. If you are looking in the drivers side door mirror, it looks like you are driving down a washboard road. You can also feel it in the steering wheel, gear shifter and seat.

No change from the engine being cold or fully warmed up.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 8 2005, 12:23 PM
[quote name='IdZer0' date='Apr 8 2005, 04:10 AM']jsal,

I have a simular problem although it's at different? RPMs and have a 525d. Are you sure it's the engine ? I have the same paranoia feeling you have, it's so subjective and other people don't seem to notice it. BMW seems to agree that there is something but another car also had vibrations (although to me they do not feel the same). They don't really know what to do about, they suggested to replace the clutch, but I didn't want to go through the same suffering as you are right now (days and days without you're care, and still no solution)

[snapback]112863[/snapback]
Does not sound the same.

There will be engine harmonics at particular RPMS and each engine is different as well as can change with the type of exhaust.

I do get some vibrations out of the gear shift which I think is normal - have seen it on other cars.

When driving there can be a thousand more things that effect this (i.e. transmission, driveshaft and tires)

My vibrations are standing still, car in nuetral and increase RPM. If you open the drivers door it will sit perfectly smooth until you hit the specific RPM's in which case it will just start vibrating. If you are looking in the drivers side door mirror, it looks like you are driving down a washboard road. You can also feel it in the steering wheel, gear shifter and seat.

No change from the engine being cold or fully warmed up.
[snapback]112952[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jsal,

My 545i/6 has just shy of 3,000 miles and 3 months on it now. I've recently noticed that it vibrates... no, I would say it shakes... more than just a light vibration... at idle.

My problem sounds (to me) similar to yours but in reverse. When I rev the engine with the clutch in neutral - no vibration... smooth.

But just sitting at idle (after the engine is warmed up), I get a noticable vibration that seems to be increasing in intensity.

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to make an appt. I may also try and drop by and see if I can get a BMW mechanic to take a look at it, but I'll prolly make an appointment either way just to be sure there is a record of the problem.

Please keep everyone posted on how your car turns out. I'll do the same regarding my issue.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545ia, Sports Pkg, Nav, Prem Sound, Cold Weather Package

I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here. It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving. When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

I'm going in the dealer tomorrow and I'm going to get CIP 16.2 while I'm there.

Another dealer told me today that it was an emissions related problem that BMW was aware of, and that they were working on a software-fix for this problem that's supposed to be available in the next few weeks. He said it was pending EPA approval, since it was an emissions related change. It could be complete BS he made up to buy some time and deal with this issue another day...

What do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM
I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

Another dealer told me today that it was an emissions related problem that BMW was aware of, and that they were working on a software-fix for this problem that's supposed to be available in the next few weeks.? He said it was pending EPA approval, since it was an emissions related change.? It could be complete BS he made up to buy some time and deal with this issue another day...

What do you guys think?
[snapback]120088[/snapback]
My car is now as smooth as silk after the DME recall and CIP 16.1. No it sounds real.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:50 PM
[quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM']I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

Another dealer told me today that it was an emissions related problem that BMW was aware of, and that they were working on a software-fix for this problem that's supposed to be available in the next few weeks.? He said it was pending EPA approval, since it was an emissions related change.? It could be complete BS he made up to buy some time and deal with this issue another day...

What do you guys think?
My car is now as smooth as silk after the DME recall and CIP 16.1. No it sounds real.
[snapback]120095[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm a newbie... What's the DME recall?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:52 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:50 PM'][quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM']I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

[snapback]120096[/snapback]
[/quote]

Emissions adjustments. Nothing major - all software related to engine managememt. Or in this case I guess it is major.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:53 PM
[quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:52 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:50 PM'][quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM']I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

[snapback]120096[/snapback]
[/quote]

Emissions adjustments. Nothing major - all software related to engine managememt. Or in this case I guess it is major.
[snapback]120098[/snapback]
[/quote]

So does the update to 16.2 automatically (read: always) include the DME recall related fixes?

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration