E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Coolant leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by ideanz
Thanks guys. I came to the dealer bought the tank and already put it in. Very easy to install.
But I don't know which coolant I can use for my car, so I bought 2 galons coolant at autozone Im not sure is that okay?
I just ask for the orange coolant.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ideanz
Thanks guys. I came to the dealer bought the tank and already put it in. Very easy to install.
But I don't know which coolant I can use for my car, so I bought 2 galons coolant at autozone Im not sure is that okay?
Three points:
  1. The BMW plastic cooling systems parts have short life spans ... watch them closely!
  2. Our cars hold very little coolant (probably about 2 gallons total - and that's a 50-50 mix) so while coolant purchased at a dealer parts counter can be more expensive than some universal product at Autozone I feel it's the best way to avoid mixing incompatible coolants. I don't know who makes BMW's coolants but this eliminates any guessing for me.
  3. DO NOT USE TAP WATER [too many chemicals and minerals] to mix your stuff 50-50 ... buy a gallon of DISTILLED WATER.
Keep your cool when the summer arrives
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by healthservices
I just ask for the orange coolant.
dexcool? thats for gm cars

personaly i'd buy the bmw coolant. its blue in color.
or if i was in a pinch, buy the yellow prestone.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Coolant brand/color doesn't matter. Only important thing is that the coolant is phosphate free. Virtually all coolant is these days. All coolant brands and types are compatible with each other. However, mixing normal with long life will render the coolant normal life for all practical purposes. BMW coolant just gives you blue coolant.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by DavidF
Coolant brand/color doesn't matter. Only important thing is that the coolant is phosphate free. Virtually all coolant is these days. All coolant brands and types are compatible with each other. However, mixing normal with long life will render the coolant normal life for all practical purposes. BMW coolant just gives you blue coolant.
well, true. but if you dont want muddy looking coolant, i'd try to stick with the same color.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DavidF
Snagged this from Prestone's website,
" Q: Does Prestone[sup]®[/sup] Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem."
That said, I guess if I was doing a full flush and refilling with new coolant and distilled water guess there wouldn't be any problem. However, if the original coolant / water was being topped off I wonder if the phosphate issue would surface. Anyway, netting it out for me, $8.00/gal for Prestone or $11/gal for the BMW stuff ... I think I'd go hog wild and blow the extra $3.00. But that's just me. Whatever the color ... remember use DISTILLED Water
Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

no need to mix when you buy premixed stuff
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Members

Thanks all it fixed. After I installed the tank by myself, I put like 2gal market coolant in. few days later, the light warning said "the coolant level is low". Then I bring it to the dealer, said to them I already put 2gal "not type of BMW coolant" in it. After 20mins my car out and very clean, He gave me the key and said its done. I asked "where I can pay for", he said "there are nothing to pay". Im like ("o") really?
spent 65$ for the tank, and 200 for the NAV 2011 for that day and solve the problem.