E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i vs 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='510687' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, thats as good as it gets because of the Dinan/BMW relationship. If a Vishu software caused an issue, BMW would categorically (to the extent as alllowed by law) void its warranty.
No one can categorically void a warranty. BMW must prove that the modification in question caused damage. In other words, they cannot decline to fix your seat heaters because you changed your engine software. However, if you blow up your transmission, you'd likely be left on your own.

Also, Dinan's warranty has nothing to do with BMW and Dinan's past relationship. Dinan chooses to provide a warranty for its modifications, while Vishnu chooses not to do so.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='510687' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, thats as good as it gets because of the Dinan/BMW relationship. If a Vishu software caused an issue, BMW would categorically (to the extent as alllowed by law) void its warranty.
There?s no relationship there, really. I would say the relationship is one of contention if anything.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='510699' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:53 AM
No one can categorically void a warranty. BMW must prove that the modification in question caused damage. In other words, they cannot decline to fix your seat heaters because you changed your engine software. However, if you blow up your transmission, you'd likely be left on your own.

Also, Dinan's warranty has nothing to do with BMW and Dinan's past relationship. Dinan chooses to provide a warranty for its modifications, while Vishnu chooses not to do so.
Dinan make software to get your seat heaters to work faster!
They "can't" but some companys do anyway, so sue them. With the Dinan/BMW relationship there will not be a problem. I think you are safe with the seat heater analogy but what about brakes, rear differential, driveshaft, other engine components, transmission, turbo, wheels, etc- with the Dinan/BMW relationship you're covered and someone else is paying for the fix. That's all I concerned about.
The dealer where I got my car is also a Dinan authorized dealer so it's easy for me.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='510718' date='Dec 26 2007, 12:44 PM
There?s no relationship there, really. I would say the relationship is one of contention if anything.
I have previously understood a relationship existed and if something is in "cooperation with BMW of North America" than maybe I am missing the point your trying to make. I am getting the software upgrade from Dinan and I did not get it from Vishu, so I believe there is a benefit from getting it from Dinan and I'm happy its available. If Vishu now comes out with it's own warranty I still would not get it, as it's not the same as the Dinan/BMW warranty- at least in my eyes.

"Dinan?s comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1996 with the cooperation of BMW of North America, provides BMW owners with matching coverage to that offered by BMW?s new car warranty, ensuring that Dinan performance enhancements and the BMW they have been installed in are covered for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage, making the idea of enhanced driving fun and excitement appealing to a rapidly growing number of BMW drivers. In addition, Dinan Certified Pre-Owned high performance BMWs are now available through participating Dinan Authorized BMW Dealerships, offering matching warranty coverage to BMW's program."
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='510719' date='Dec 26 2007, 12:45 PM
The dealer where I got my car is also a Dinan authorized dealer so it's easy for me.

Who's that?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='510721' date='Dec 26 2007, 12:52 PM
Who's that?
Habberstad BMW, Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
www.habberstadbmw.com
http://www.habberstadbmw.com/racing.htm
Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Contributors

good to know. THx.

You should come to one of the meets next time.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='510720' date='Dec 26 2007, 12:51 PM
I have previously understood a relationship existed and if something is in "cooperation with BMW of North America" than maybe I am missing the point your trying to make. I am getting the software upgrade from Dinan and I did not get it from Vishu, so I believe there is a benefit from getting it from Dinan and I'm happy its available. If Vishu now comes out with it's own warranty I still would not get it, as it's not the same as the Dinan/BMW warranty- at least in my eyes.

"Dinan's comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1996 with the cooperation of BMW of North America, provides BMW owners with matching coverage to that offered by BMW's new car warranty, ensuring that Dinan performance enhancements and the BMW they have been installed in are covered for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage, making the idea of enhanced driving fun and excitement appealing to a rapidly growing number of BMW drivers. In addition, Dinan Certified Pre-Owned high performance BMWs are now available through participating Dinan Authorized BMW Dealerships, offering matching warranty coverage to BMW's program."
The warranty is Dinan?s. They are solely responsible for it. In 1996, there was some cooperation but that has gone by the wayside. It doesn?t impact Dinan?s ability to promise a warranty however. Dinan does have authorized dealerships which are also BMW dealerships but that has nothing to do with BMW NA and does not indicate a contractual relationsihp between the two entities.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='510726' date='Dec 26 2007, 01:04 PM
The warranty is Dinan?s. They are solely responsible for it. In 1996, there was some cooperation but that has gone by the wayside. It doesn?t impact Dinan?s ability to promise a warranty however. Dinan does have authorized dealerships which are also BMW dealerships but that has nothing to do with BMW NA and does not indicate a contractual relationsihp between the two entities.
Never said a contractural relationship and how do you know the relationship has gone by the wayside? Please produce something that says that, maybe I won't get the upgrade.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='510745' date='Dec 26 2007, 02:11 PM
Never said a contractural relationship and how do you know the relationship has gone by the wayside? Please produce something that says that, maybe I won't get the upgrade.
Didn't you report this information?

Quick Reply: 535i vs 550i?