E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i - HPFP replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
f10 550, as of right now, but is an FI engine with TT V8...the e60 550i: no, again, that engine is an NA V8...the hpfp issue seems to exclusive to Fi engines

***FI=forced induction/turbo engine
***NA= Natural Aspirated engine
Gotcha.
Thanks again....engine identification and its components are not my strong suit! Also good to know that 550 is in the clear!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Good luck - hope they fixed it. I had my second HPFP replaced and the car reprogrammed in August. Thus far the car works like a charm. My S/A told me that new HPFP (remanufactured) and reprogram have been pretty successful. But then again that was just in August - who knows!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by ObD
On Saturday while accelerating got the infamous engine malfunction icon in the dash and the reduced power message on I-drive. Tach went from 2K to about 4K. Pulled over and shut off engine and restarted. Icon and message went away. Yesterday, same icon and message appeared while going to work. Aborted work route and dropped car at dealer. HPFP replaced today and all is well. 25K mi on odo. -933 p/n HPFP installed. Had the DME reprogrammed back in July which fixed the long cranking issues that had developed. Running fine till Saturday.
Wow, I had pretty much the same pattern as you. Long cranking issues, fixed with reprogramming. Then a few months later, engine malfunction icon and loss of power. They've had my car for a week now and no updates and no loaner I still have quite a bit left on my lease but screw it, I'm getting rid of this thing asap.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Good lord. So many HPFP failures. Let's hope that these problems do not continue with the turbo engines in the F10 (which are not the N54 engine in the E60 535 which is the one with the pervasive problems).
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Carbon Black

My 535i is currently in getting my first HPFP replaced. I've been told this is the "redesigned" fuel pump which has been used now for the past 4-5 months and apparently this doesn't have any issues, anyone heard anything about this "new" fuel pump? I'm currently talking with BMWNA and trying to get out of my lease
Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cars been in the shop for 9 days now and they say it will be there for at least another 7-10 days. I originally thought it was the HPFP going bad again, but apparently they say its the "DME" which also has something to do with the fuel system. I have no idea why it would possibly take them near 3 weeks to get this fixed and I'm somewhat suspicious. Just gonna have to wait and see whats up I guess, nothing else to do.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Members

I am having my second replacement in 15K miles this Thursday. I will ask about the supposed improvements in the HPFP.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Nvm just figured out what the DME is, google is amazing

Digital Motor Electronics (DME).

The comprehensive management system for your engine: Digital Motor Electronics (DME) controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.

By managing key engine functions, Digital Motor Electronics (DME) guarantees optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. Its sensors continually all factors affecting the operation of the engine. The data is then evaluated by a microprocessor and translated into commands for the fuel injection and ignition systems.
The DME system receives up to 1,000 separate items of data input per second, including engine speed, air intake volume, air temperature and density, coolant temperature, throttle position, accelerator position and vehicle speed.
DME verifies all incoming data by comparing it with the reaction of the rest of the system. If a defective sensor delivers unrealistic data, DME replaces this with preset standard values. If a spark plug fails, DME immediately cuts fuel flow to this cylinder in order to prevent engine damage.
DME looks after the electrical power system too, with sensors measuring the charge and condition of the battery as well as current electrical power consumption. By maintaining optimum battery charge levels and thus avoiding flat batteries, it prevents damage to the battery and guarantees maximum battery life, thereby helping to ensure the engine always starts readily.
BMW introduced the world's first Digital Motor Electronics system in the BMW 732i in 1979.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

^so basically means: SW update...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You all know about the class action that is the buzz of the car world on the internet today?

Also the new N55 has the same pump and is already having HPFP failures reported.
I know Beating a dead horse....

Quick Reply: 535i - HPFP replaced