E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i general - and not so general - questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So I'm thinking to make the move to the 535i sometime in the foreseeable future. Several things sort of baffle me though:

1. Are there ANY front lips for the LCI body? The ONLY one that I know of is Alpina, but its too expensive for my intents and purposes, as I'm planning to lease mine and I just don't want to spend that kind of money, unless I'll keep the car.

2. Has anyone here ever tried that "plug-and-play turbo tuner"?
here's a link to better illustrate what I'm asking about - if you scroll all the way down, you'll see that little unit that apparently plugs into the car and boosts the engine - is this a proven thing, or more like creative advertising by LLTek?
http://www.lltek.com/bimmergate/html/riege...r_bmw_5_e60.htm

3. People that have the 535i with a manual tranny, this q is for you: assuming that you have driven the 535 with the steptronic, do you have ANY regrets whatsoever about getting the stick shift? My current ride is a stick, but I've driven the 535 with steptronic and speed-wise the car feels excellent with the steptronic, but I'm sort of afraid that I'll really miss the control that comes with that third pedal. So any thoughts on this, please - bc I really can't decide: its really easy to find a car with the steptronic, but manual I'll most likely have to order...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='852531' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:48 AM
So I'm thinking to make the move to the 535i sometime in the foreseeable future. Several things sort of baffle me though:

1. Are there ANY front lips for the LCI body? The ONLY one that I know of is Alpina, but its too expensive for my intents and purposes, as I'm planning to lease mine and I just don't want to spend that kind of money, unless I'll keep the car.

2. Has anyone here ever tried that "plug-and-play turbo tuner"?
here's a link to better illustrate what I'm asking about - if you scroll all the way down, you'll see that little unit that apparently plugs into the car and boosts the engine - is this a proven thing, or more like creative advertising by LLTek?
http://www.lltek.com/bimmergate/html/riege...r_bmw_5_e60.htm

3. People that have the 535i with a manual tranny, this q is for you: assuming that you have driven the 535 with the steptronic, do you have ANY regrets whatsoever about getting the stick shift? My current ride is a stick, but I've driven the 535 with steptronic and speed-wise the car feels excellent with the steptronic, but I'm sort of afraid that I'll really miss the control that comes with that third pedal. So any thoughts on this, please - bc I really can't decide: its really easy to find a car with the steptronic, but manual I'll most likely have to order...
1. No. None for standard bumper. Many more options with the Msport option, standalone MTech kit, or Umnitza replica bumper. If you order get the MSport option. It's a must have, and then a lip is easy.

2. Juice Box + is cheaper and error code free.

3. Get the manual. While the Sports Auto is good, the manual gives ultimate control and you always have the right gear. Nothing can replace my 535i manual.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by ObD' post='852565' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:24 AM
1. No. None for standard bumper. Many more options with the Msport option, standalone MTech kit, or Umnitza replica bumper. If you order get the MSport option. It's a must have, and then a lip is easy.

2. Juice Box + is cheaper and error code free.

3. Get the manual. While the Sports Auto is good, the manual gives ultimate control and you always have the right gear. Nothing can replace my 535i manual.
3) I think this the best auto, it is always in the right gear and the sport and manual modes work well.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Note that the Sport Auto is different from the Steptronic and is a $500 option. It adds a sports button, paddle shifters and different programing.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='852618' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:28 AM
Note that the Sport Auto is different from the Steptronic and is a $500 option. It adds a sports button, paddle shifters and different programing.
I'll second that.. It shifts very fast for an Auto.

If you want tuning info go to E90post.com and go to the turbo section. Read up the Faq's and then ask questions.
Way to many options, but form what you are talking about most likly it is the JB+ or the SST. I'd go with the full on JB or Proceed though.

Very few front bumper parts for the LCi unless you have the aforementioned Mtech kit on the car first.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

No front lip for the LCI bumper as of yet..

JB+ is cheaper and adjustable unlike the SSTT that you are looking at. JB+ boost levels range from +2 to +5 psi depending on setting and ambient conditions.

The JB+ will be error free if:

you have sw version <29.2...versions after will have tuner/maniplation detection
if you are 29.2< you would need to run at default setting or less (default setting is +2.5 to +2.75 I think)

*just to be safe, you could always purchase a BT (bavarian tool) which you can plug into your odb port and just erase any codes if needed...

I would advise you to check n54tech.com (the forced induction section)

you could also pm member Mike@N54Tunning.com

+1 for the sport auto transmission
GL, Gene