E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d vs 645i

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='302488' date='Jun 24 2006, 08:45 AM
He is just saying that it comes down to who is driving on the day, and when someone puts their foot down they might be in the right gear etc. to get a cleaner break.

I would love to see The Stig and Clarkson do a lap again in the 545i Vs 535d with Clarkson driving the Petrol and The Stig in the diesel, I bet the gap would be far less.
I would also like to see The Stig in a DMS'd 535d, I would put my house on him winning.
If I lived in the States where petrol was cheap I would have a petrol, although it would have to be an M5/6 to get me out of the mapped 535d, all BetterMakeWay did was post some videos, showing that the 535d doesn't do too bad against its big petrol brother V8 that costs $14000 and drinks 40% more juice.
It's hard to say there can ever be a loser with two cars like this but at the end of the day I think that particular match - 535 vs 545 - was won and lost in the first few hundred yards. From a standing start to the first bend the V8 will have always have the acceleration advantage. I don't think the result have been any different with a driver switch. All either had to do was mash the pedal to the metal, and whichever car got ahead the other would struggle to pass as on the move they're going to be pretty evenly matched. Whether you're Stig or JC the race was over by the end of the first straight - either one would have accelerated faster in the V8, there's no driver skill required until the corners. Had the diesel got ahead, the V8 would equally have struggled to have passed. It's simply an illustration of each car's respective strong point - from a standing start a 535 (factory or DMS) will struggle against the V8 (be it a 545 or 550). On the move, the diesel's torque will level the playing field. So, based on the race, advantage V8.

As I said, there's no loser here - except in one respect. I think it's fair to say that the 535 engine is unsurpassed amongst its peers. The BMW V8, on the other hand, is a tremendous engine but is it truly best in its class? Maybe, maybe not. Based on the engine - advantage 535.

Result - lets settle the sibling rivalry by declaring a draw.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by swajames' post='302568' date='Jun 24 2006, 04:50 PM
It's hard to say there can ever be a loser with two cars like this but at the end of the day I think that particular match - 535 vs 545 - was won and lost in the first few hundred yards. From a standing start to the first bend the V8 will have always have the acceleration advantage. I don't think the result have been any different with a driver switch. All either had to do was mash the pedal to the metal, and whichever car got ahead the other would struggle to pass as on the move they're going to be pretty evenly matched. Whether you're Stig or JC the race was over by the end of the first straight - either one would have accelerated faster in the V8, there's no driver skill required until the corners. Had the diesel got ahead, the V8 would equally have struggled to have passed. It's simply an illustration of each car's respective strong point - from a standing start a 535 (factory or DMS) will struggle against the V8 (be it a 545 or 550). On the move, the diesel's torque will level the playing field. So, based on the race, advantage V8.

As I said, there's no loser here - except in one respect. I think it's fair to say that the 535 engine is unsurpassed amongst its peers. The BMW V8, on the other hand, is a tremendous engine but is it truly best in its class? Maybe, maybe not. Based on the engine - advantage 535.

Result - lets settle the sibling rivalry by declaring a draw.
The 545i has always won its class in magazine comparos--including acceleration, feel, and handling--at least in the big 3 US mags. Back to your court. Looks like deuce to me.