E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d vs 645i

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Sorry, i can't now join this aged old debate (pleased to see it still happens roughly once a month though).

I was a huge defender of the Diesel when i had my DMS 535d M-Sport but i'm over on the dark side now & have no intention of name calling the 535d, as i think they're an awesome vehicle.

As a total aside, SG353D can get round The Ring quicker than me & he was in a 535d & i was in my new M5.
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Any one tested with meeters if there most effective way to launch is with DS mode or? Some times feel that staring on M2 and shift at 4500-5000 rpm is the most effective way, then I only have one gear change up to 100km/h.
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='301612' date='Jun 22 2006, 09:33 PM
I also raced from various roll ons with E39 M5s and could keep up until certain speeds...wtf! If i say that again i'm told a layer...but it's the turth so help me God. Maybe i run into worse drivers, maybe their cars were more fatigued than mine, or maybe...i have some secret extra bhp like skaffa's 530d I dunno but i was able to keep up with 2 different stock E39 M5 and had my ass wiped by another white E39 M5 wich i heared now that it is not stock and it's running at least 450bhp at the engine.
Let me tell u a little story about streetraces.
Back in my young days i streetraced a lot. I mean really a lot. For money, for fun, as long as i could race and have the kick. I have driven several cars and most of the time i was the fastes. I even was faster racing more powerful cars or exactly the same cars. And ofcourse i thought my car was superior.
But it was not my car that was faster than theirs, no, i just was the better driver and knew exactly when to hit the gas and change gear, i even learned to change gear without clutching. I had bigger balls, more courage and all these things together made me think my car was superior.

What i want to say is that streetraces are not reliable. Maybe it sounds simple but the most reliable numbers are the numbers given by bmw.
I am not calling u a layer and i believe u when u say u kept up with the M5's. But believe me brother. Let me drive an E39 M5 and i'll whip your ass so hard it hurts.
I found a nice site to compare dragtimes, maybe u already know it but i just found it, dont know about its reliability though.
http://www.dragtimes.com/
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='301612' date='Jun 22 2006, 02:33 PM
Yes and that's my point...to show the exact potential of the car.
Pls let's end this. The only thing that really annoys me that still there is no bealive even when i come with a true real test (not talking about numbers here anymore). But i'm not going to waste my time anymore with the likes of you...no disrespect you are fully entitled to whatever opinion.
I have believed you from the start. I did not need to look at the videos. Your results are in the ball park given what I know about the two cars--if you are saying the 645i was in the neighborhood of .5 sec. faster to 62 and continued to pull away thereafter.
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='301633' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:14 PM
Let me tell u a little story about streetraces.
Back in my young days i streetraced a lot. I mean really a lot. For money, for fun, as long as i could race and have the kick. I have driven several cars and most of the time i was the fastes. I even was faster racing more powerful cars or exactly the same cars. And ofcourse i thought my car was superior.
But it was not my car that was faster than theirs, no, i just was the better driver and knew exactly when to hit the gas and change gear, i even learned to change gear without clutching. I had bigger balls, more courage and all these things together made me think my car was superior.

What i want to say is that streetraces are not reliable. Maybe it sounds simple but the most reliable numbers are the numbers given by bmw.
I am not calling u a layer and i believe u when u say u kept up with the M5's. But believe me brother. Let me drive an E39 M5 and i'll whip your ass so hard it hurts.
I found a nice site to compare dragtimes, maybe u already know it but i just found it, dont know about its reliability though.
http://www.dragtimes.com/
Yes that's from where i got the 1/4 times earlier on.
Ok sorry for budging in with the E39 M5...forget about it, and yes i think you are right about the driver/car relation.

Anyway...back to the original d-bate there you can't see too much driving involvment...heck 2 guys with automatics, in manual mode, with dsc off and brake torquing a little...how hard can that me and how much of a master can you be to hit the gas. And also from both videos it's clear that we both launched pretty much the same and no one can say uuu that guy launched perfectly and the other is a slouch. Soooo....in conclusion baring in mind that we were almost equal at launches, then from there we both kept the foot on the throttle at max. And there was the outcome...645i was faster INSIGNIFICANT till 150-160km/h speeds up to wich both cars seemed glued and then the 645i was really faster pulling away slowly. How many times do i have to say that? 1/4...umm pretty close if i have a very good start and i jump in front with a nose or half a car i can say we finish equal on the 1/4, if we have equal starts he finishes 1st on the 1/4 with half a car length imo, more than 1/4 the 645i is quicker.
In gear we didn't make a proper test.
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='301641' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:37 PM
I have believed you from the start. I did not need to look at the videos. Your results are in the ball park given what I know about the two cars--if you are saying the 645i was in the neighborhood of .5 sec. faster to 62 and continued to pull away thereafter.
Exactly that was what it felt like...since we didn't have proper measuring instruments.
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='301642' date='Jun 22 2006, 10:40 PM
1/4...umm pretty close if i have a very good start and i jump in front with a nose or half a car i can say we finish equal on the 1/4
What comparison is this again?
Like that i can beat you with my 525, if i have a very good start and jump in front with a nose or 5
Ok, just kidding. Lets drop the discussion. I think we made our point, just dont make statements like the above anymore cause they make no sense. Remember my streetrace story.
Regards,
Old 06-22-2006 | 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='301623' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:07 PM
dont bother ats, read this post... someone has no clue what he is talking about... at all
here
so obviously gravity in romania works wonders...
Yes ats look at the thread!!!
And indeed gravity works wonders here, cuz probably gravity pulled Bulgaria with us, i dare to say that if it wouldn't have been for bulgaria we would have had our date settled allready (01.01.2007) with our own problems true, but because of your country the communication of the date has been postponed since we managed to evolve a little at some chapters while bulgaria didn't. So in this case you can thank to that imaginary gravity you stupidly keep mentioning.

Bye bye now! Hope not to see you again...

Pls people don't quote him....
Old 06-22-2006 | 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='301622' date='Jun 22 2006, 09:01 PM
Well, except didn't both agree that the 645i is faster?
Very true - for me I think the conclusion is that the 545i and the 645i are faster in a drag than the 535d by a significant amount (in drag racing terms at least) but that the 535d does not embaress itself in this company by any stretch.

I think we pretty much proved this much last time the debate aired.

However, although that amount is significant - it is not so significant that driver reaction time will not be a major issue.

Personally I think bettermakeways race may have been closer than we might have thought cause of the brake torquing. If the 6 series driver only revved to 1500rpm then he would have been nowhere near the peak powerband, whereas the diesel would have been slap bang into it.

Either way - what heartens me about this is that it demonstrates the performance potential of the 535d - diesel power has come a long way if a 3 litre lump (even with 2 turbos) can hold it's own against a V8 (and more significantly a BMW V8).

What disheartens me is the aggressive response to his post.

Don't take it to heart
Old 06-22-2006 | 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='301665' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:31 PM
Very true - for me I think the conclusion is that the 545i and the 645i are faster in a drag than the 535d by a significant amount (in drag racing terms at least) but that the 535d does not embaress itself in this company by any stretch.

I think we pretty much proved this much last time the debate aired.

However, although that amount is significant - it is not so significant that driver reaction time will not be a major issue.

Personally I think bettermakeways race may have been closer than we might have thought cause of the brake torquing. If the 6 series driver only revved to 1500rpm then he would have been nowhere near the peak powerband, whereas the diesel would have been slap bang into it.

Either way - what heartens me about this is that it demonstrates the performance potential of the 535d - diesel power has come a long way if a 3 litre lump (even with 2 turbos) can hold it's own against a V8 (and more significantly a BMW V8).

What disheartens me is the aggressive response to his post.
Yep, I think we should be able to discuss what we want anytime without criticism of our discussion preferences. The polite play when one is tired of an issue is to ignore it.

And, I agree mostly with the other things you say. However, personally, brake torquing has never been fruitful for me beyond 1k RPM--even given the current very limited wheel spin capability of my 545i. Even now, if I brake torque above 1k RPM, then I lose time. I thiink only the tiniest amount of wheel spin can help a Step 545i. So, if the 645i had wheel spin of the sort I used to get, or even get now, when brake torquing above 1k, then he would have lost significant time.

Quick Reply: 535d vs 645i