E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

UPDATE...
Took field rep for a test drive yesterday. Car exibited the stuttering effect while driving on the highway and then... all of a sudden... low and behold... "ENGINE MALFUCTION - REDUCED POWER". All I can say is WOW, what timing.

So the dealer is now replacing the fuel pump but field rep thinks the stuttering might be caused by something else. If the HPFP (my second) doesn't solve the stuttering, the next step is to clean the fuel injectors - but I will have to make another appointment for that. I am crossing fingers that the fuel pump is the sole culprit. I am so tired of taking this car to the dealer!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Clean The FI? How about REPLACE the FI's...yet again it's a known engine issue on the N54's , man they must be getting very cheap or the number of N54's having issues must have drastically gone up and parts are scarce...Every time I took mine in If I asked about if the HPFP was going or if the injectors needed to be replaced , even before the error came up the dealer would basically confirm my suspicions and put a new one in or replace the Injectors and load the new software.

When you get to 3 HPFP's in 12months you will have a leg to stand on with BMW Corporate....
Old 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Clean The FI? How about REPLACE the FI's...yet again it's a known engine issue on the N54's , man they must be getting very cheap or the number of N54's having issues must have drastically gone up and parts are scarce...Every time I took mine in If I asked about if the HPFP was going or if the injectors needed to be replaced , even before the error came up the dealer would basically confirm my suspicions and put a new one in or replace the Injectors and load the new software.

When you get to 3 HPFP's in 12months you will have a leg to stand on with BMW Corporate....
New Update... picked up my car today. They were to fix the stuttering while accelerating problem and replace the fuel pump that failed while driving with the field rep two days ago. Well, within 15 miles from the dealership I got another engine light and i-drive message "Engine malfuction - reduced power" . Car sputtered, etc. Restarted it and drove it home.

This makes three fuel pumps on this car to fail - the one it came with, the second one at 7,000 miles and now this one at 29,000 miles. And the car still stutters under acceleration.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

How many in 12 Months?
Check Ga's Lemon laws , you have to pay like $5 when you your car there for it so I know it exists as a Tax of some sort ( I've gotten 2 cars from Different dealers in the Atl metro area).
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
How many in 12 Months?
Check Ga's Lemon laws , you have to pay like $5 when you your car there for it so I know it exists as a Tax of some sort ( I've gotten 2 cars from Different dealers in the Atl metro area).
Here's my repair history:
May 08 - purchased car
August 08 - new fuel pump
March 10 - engine light, cyl #5 fault, reprogrammed car
April 10 - new battery, complain of stuttering while accelerating and they say can't duplicate
May 10 - field rep drives, observes stuttering, hpfp dies on test drive, they replace. Stuttering still there. They suggest doing an injector cleaning on next visit.
May 10 - when picking up car after above repair, get 1/2 engine light and idrive message on way home and car stalls. Restarts ok. Call and they book me an appt next week to take in.

The frustrating thing is that a warranty repair is low priority to the dealer (probably less money?), so each time I go back to the end of the line and wait for service again and again for the same thing!