E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat

Old 12-22-2014, 02:55 PM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

Those are very similar symptoms to me, I am constantly thinking it might be a faulty stat even if new... sad really, mine's booked in on the 5th January to replace AT oil stat, if that doesn't work I'm going to bring up the stat to my mechanic again.

Good luck on your end and happy new year all!
Old 12-26-2014, 01:09 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i

Okay, success. Please read my thermostat issues from above. I got the chance to install a new thermostat for my E60 M54 that I purchased at the local BMW dealer. It was more expensive than I hoped for, but I felt if I needed emergency help, they might be sympathetic.

It was quite easy to install. I would say the toughest part is just getting the electric fan assembly lifted out of the way -- be sure to un-clip the hoses before lifting and maneuver gently. When putting it back in I broke a lower plastic hose clip, but just zip-tied the hose back in place. (I am curious if this could actually be done WITHOUT removing the fan!)

I was sure to refill radiator fluid and bleed the system. I started the car, idled for quite a while while watching the OBC temp .. it rose slowly, but not as high as I hoped .. but when driving around, getting it up to 50, then 60 and 80 the temperature rose up to a max of about 94 degrees Celsius, and hovered back and forth in the low 90 degrees.

I always hate to say it worked 100%, but at the very least, it acted appropriately, heating up when the car was moving under power! Oh, and the heater was blowing some pretty hot air, which will make the wife happier.

I've done other mechanical work in my time -- I'd say this job is pretty easy, honestly. Few torx heads, short extension bar, few metric sockets.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 525i touring MT

Im happy that it seems to be working pretty accurat after your exchange of stat.

I did replace mine two times at the same dealer...no change it is still running at 80 degC.

Perhaps I have to change dealer... Pretty tired at this fenomena right now..

I did replace my 2 VANOS solenoids after getting P1554 (exhaust cam), very ruff idle and yellow engine light. Replaced it at the parking spot in -1 DegC, took 20 min and was very easy. Just to give some feedback, the engine feels like I got 50 HP back... allways something to be happy about. (still running cold under 95 km/h).

Torgny
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM
New Members

Good news knklhead, so it has been stable since then?

Did Vanos on mine too, rides much better! on the engine temp side; I'm not much better. I replaced the AT oil thermostat and while it does hit 90's and 100 occasionally it just isn't stable. It still sits around the 80 mark. Just like you Trogny I'm fed up with this pestering issue. I'm just going to leave it for now... I really want to get those data sent to ECU checked out somehow; I'll research into this more. I'm also planning to get the Ivini app for phone to monitor different parameters and see if that brings anything up.

Good luck on your end
Old 01-09-2015, 04:11 PM
New Members

yeah, pretty stable, although it is taking quite a bit longer to warm up because it's very, very cold here in Western NY the last couple of days! I keep an eye on the temperature and changing the Tstat definitely helped.

I have had a long-time code for the auxiliary coolant pump not working. I think it only works when you hit the "rest" button after turning off the car and it is supposed to pump warm water and continue to give heat for X period of time. When I hit that, the blowers work, but the air is not warm.

Looks like my next project -- when it gets warmer! But as I said, I think that's kind of optional to repair.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM
New Members

Hi again, now Im realy confused, its 3 Week since I replaced my VANOS-solenoids. I have seen that the oil temp have increased by fatct that now the lines on the speedometer only are 2 or 3, when engine got operating temp.

So I checked twice today with my TorquePro + BT, both times it ends up operating at 100 degC....wow! Both on State road and city it looks stable at 100.

So... Could it be the VANOS exchange...oil cooler influence etc or just something...electrical...its raining cats and dogs...horizontal..

Well I have no clue!

Ill be back!

...a week later still runs on 100 degC! Its colder now like zero to -5 degC (air gone from my cooling system?).... Got an other issue..micro switch on tailgate (glass part) opens when ignition on.. OMG... annother typical fault it seems... especially when they are using salt for deiceing...

Last edited by kobolt60; 02-02-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:23 PM
New Members

Keep at it Kobolt! 100 degrees Celsius looks pretty good, right?
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM
New Members

100 is good! usually with new stats it jumps up to 100 for the beginning then will start to level off to 90 over time. ahh more issues it seems. Sorry to hear it, good luck
Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 AM
New Members

Yeah .....sure ....haha back to runnning on 80 degC....something is for sure wrong.... Im slowly giving up...
Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i

I changed my main stat for the 2nd time few days ago and still the same. I know its cold here, but still long time to warm and usually stays at 75c or 80c max if I'm lucky. Maybe this is how its supposed to be. My mechanic had a 525i e60 in for an oil change not sure what year and it was doing the same thing. Maybe BMW got rid of the temperature gauge to hide this. Anyone with a n52 actually have 95-105c temps with fast warmup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat